CLOSED: Show n Taste the Sweet Success of Gourmet from Home :)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

ain't no fun if you don't forget the list

Ocean Springs, MS

So much going on! I'm going to catch up tomorrow morning! Whew!

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I know what you mean Julie. Got in from KY where we were for over a week at the Bluegrass Sheepdog Trial and I am still trying to get my head around the farm. I have several great things for my buddy but I am looking at the weekend before I can get my box packed. Got it taped together and now Maizie, my Maine Coon, has taken up residence and seems uninterested in giving it up.
I am making a new recipe for Bourbon Caramel Brownies that is totally awesome. Hope to hide a couple to add to the box but it could be a battle. Lol.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Yum!

Ocean Springs, MS

I want those brownies!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Hows is everyone coming along on boxes? Just checking in :)

This girl is going on vacation! cant wait either haha. Im 100% caught up on planting just making sure everything is caught up in the house. I love nothing more than coming home to a clean house after being gone hehe

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Mine is put together, will go out Tuesday!

Where ya going?

Oh yeah, the cheescake is awesome!

Thumbnail by taters55
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Linda that looks awesome!!! lol is there any left?!?

Heading home to MI the 1-10th, cant wait! lol I got a day of shopping at shipshewana (LOVE) Ill be keeping an eye for my queenies :). Going to meet up with Susie. See family, relax on the lake..Im so ready for a break LOL

This is what I call SHOPPING!!! haha

www.tradingplaceamerica.com/images/MASTER2013Web.pdf

Sounds like fun. Give Susie a hug from me please?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Most definately!! :)

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Looking for our Visit also I just Pulled my Trailer around front so I can start loading the Plants on for the swap.
Been potting up like crazy:) & Now i have to start cutting Pictures to show what the plant will look like :)

guess i should get off here & Start that :) Hugs to all :)

Ocean Springs, MS

Tracking shows my buddy's box was delivered yesterday. Hope all is ok!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

mmm maybe she ate it all and is trying to figure out how to get a pic now ;) jk. I got a wild hair last night so I need to go buy a bathroom today lol. BB in awhile to see :)

You need to buy a bathroom?

Don't forget this is a holiday week end, they may be out of town, or have company.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Good thinkin LK! Totally forgot about that!

Yes I need a bathroom lol. Found one in 2.5 hours. Guess thats what happens when the MIL calls. Going to get ready to tile lol

Thumbnail by badcat
Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Yeah Badcat, some people actually take a holiday, instead of working or being worked like a borrowed mule! lol

afternoon all : Just came in from the JUNGEL :) its 12:30 Lunch time :) while I rest :) No Holiday for me ,
Amanda Been there done that Not fun but very pretty when your done :)

LK So Glad your ok & weathered the storms are they all pass ya Now :) Nothing hit right ?

well I need to get a few more plants potted this afternoon ,I've about 15-20 Little Red Quince trees to get Potted up .
so you all have a safe day ,

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol!! its been a longtime coming, MIL put the icing on the cake for me, so its getting done! Tired of steam cleaning carpet...who does that in a bath!?!?. Because of the carpet the toilet doesnt have a tight seal..leaks occasionally. Makes my life hard, with 13 people here next month its going to be tiled! lol Heres 2 other pics of it in the last year

1-april 2013
2-aug 2013..still all the same everything
3-june 2014 ??? lol

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat

All storms have passed. There was a tornado that touched down about 8 miles south of us. It isall ranch land so no ddamage that I heard of.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

That's good news LK. I HATE those storms!

Ocean Springs, MS

LK, glad to know you are safe! I guess I should check the forecast to see if the storms are headed my way.
Badcat, have a fun trip. The kids and I leave June 5 for Gatlinburg! Really looking forward to it!
Everyone have a beautiful day! And remember those who made us free and have kept us free!
love, Julie

Glad to hear you are ok LK. We are getting a steady rain, held off till after lunch but looks to be hanging around for a while which is good. One of Evans cows is very sick, finally got her penned up for a trip to the vet in huge morning if she makes it.
Got my box from badcat. Will post when I get a chance, gotta take care of newborns.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

I havent been watching the news. What storms!? Also glad your OK tater!

Ty Julie! You guys have fun too!!! :)

Roux take care of them babies :) were looking forward to seeing what ya got. Hmm Lol read the note too xo

Got my floor tiled..waitin for dh to vacate the shower now Lol everyone have a great night and happy memorial day!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My tardy brand of housekeeping let the grout around the tub and shower get pretty bad. I prefer the end of a shovel to the end of a broom! I took a dab of dish washer detergent GEL and applied it w/toothbrush to the grout and left it. WOw! that works GOOD! Even got off most of the mildew!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Got a box from Crystal today full of goodies. I got RAW HONEY, which I love, double yummy chocolate brownies, oatmeal raison bar mix, muscadine butter, (love mucadines) quince jelly.
Can't wait to try them all. thank you Crystal

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

and a very pretty dish towel

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Crystal! LOL I need to try that! Just put new grout next to old..all I can say is wow..LOL!

Wowzas!! Kathy what a bunch of awesome goodies! Never tried Muscadine anything before whats it like?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

muscadine wine is real good and it's potent too. haven't tried the butter yet, but I will

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Keep Roux in your guys prayers please. She has a LOT going on right now. Why we havent heard from her. Flooded down where shes at and not in a good way. Thanks

Roux take care of your animals and we will catch you when things settle down for ya!! Big Hugs Girl!!!

Ocean Springs, MS

Yummy box, jkj! My dad used to make blackberry wine!

Keeping Jaye in my prayers! love, julie

Sorry to hear about Joy, will send lots of prayers her way!

Love that box of goodies you got Kathy! Let us know how that butter taste!

what goodies so many I have never heard of you gals are so lucky to be able to find these to share we have nothing but a wal mart -K-mart restrants & Banks in our town , OH we are getting a Wallgreens . & we have a $1.store &Goodwill.
Nothing special around here.
wll gotta get off here have a great day .

Sorry for being AWOL guys, it was a rough couple of days here. Although our house was never in any danger, there was flooding all around and we were very concerned for several friends.

We had several issues during this time, our last two does kidded, in the rain of course, both doelings are doing fine although they were chilled and unhappy about the turn of events. Unfortunately, one of Evan's (DS) cows went off her feed suddenly and died in two days despite our best efforts. We couldn't get her to a vet because we couldn't get the trailer out. She was an ex show heifer and had quite a personality. Sigh, life on the farm.

I am sorry for not posting my box sooner. I didn't see who it was from, there was writing on the side that said bad Catherine, so my assumption was badcat. She has corrected my misconception telling me that our Julie sent the box, so let me say "thanks Julie!"
Unfortunately one jar didn't make the trip, it was a brown sugar skin scrub that I am sure was wonderful. The rest is pretty awesome, with homemade vanilla extract leading the way. Three jars of seasonings, a steak, a Memphis BBQ rub, and a Citrus Basil seasoning. Also carrot cake jam and a big jar of pecan pie mix, all you add is a shell. And a big jar of lavender moisturizing bath salts.

Kids are coming for the weekend so I will whip up a pie shell tonight and bake them a pecan pie for the weekend. Dave has been eyeing the steak seasonings, so I have one thawing now.
Thanks so much Julie, Froggies Girl, I really like my box.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Ocean Springs, MS

Joy, so sorry to hear about your cow. Thankful your house didn't flood. Glad to hear from you!

OK, let's explain or try to come up with the explanation about the box that said "bad Catherine!"
When I got ready to pack your items, I couldn't find a box big enough. So, I grabbed a box from my closet that had a "Cathedral birdhouse" in it. I tried marking out "Cathedral birdhouse" with a sharpie, but the sharpie was low in ink. So, in the midst of its travels, I guess by the time it got to you, it looked like "bad Catherine!" LOL

I'm so sorry the brown sugar scrub didn't make it. I will send another jar! Hope the pecan pie is delicious and Dave likes the steak seasonings!

Love, Julie

That explains it. Dave told me I was mistaken in bad Catherine, he said it was Catherine bad which goes along with your explanation. Don't send me the scrub, it totally isn't necessary. I am thrilled with what I have. BTW, Dave loved the seasoning, I agree.

Glad to hear your house is Ok, but so sad about your calf!

Love the items Julie sent!

Ocean Springs, MS

Joy, I can't help but laugh every time I see "bad Catherine." HeHe

I'm glad Dave liked the seasoning. It's a "secret" mix that my son-in-law makes! I don't know what he puts in it. I have to have my steaks cooked well and the seasoning always keeps them from drying out!
Let me know how the pie comes out. This was the second try for me on the Pecan Pie mix. First time, I cooked the syrup too long and it started to crystalize, like candy, when it cooled!
The Memphis rub is yummy! I always mix it with some brown sugar before I rub it on my ribs, wrap the ribs in foil, let them sit overnight, and cook in a slow oven (250) for about 6 hours. I take them out, put on a little more rub, and put them under the broiler to carmelize! The meat just falls right off the bone!
The vanilla needs to sit about another 2-3 weeks before using. This gives the beans time to infuse the vodka! When it starts to get low, add more vodka and repeat the process.
If you want to make your own brown sugar scrub, mix 1 cup brown sugar with 1/2 cup olive oil. I also add a little raw sugar and some vanilla fragrance to mine.
You'll never believe the jelly was made with carrots! It is delicious. My grandmother used to make a cake, take it from the oven, poke holes in it with a fork, then put apple jelly on it while it was still warm. OMG, it was so good. Sometimes, I still use her recipe for cakes because it reminds me of my childhood.
I really hope you enjoy everything! Love, Julie

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Joy glad everything is getting better for you down there! Yummm!!! Thats a great box!! The carrotcake jam, its so scrummy!!! :) So..what time we crashing your party for pie?? lol jk

Sorry I just said something, because I didnt want to take credit where it wasnt due. :) Julie done you good! Lol I had a good laugh reading this post this morning. I was wondering how badcat got thrown in there lol. Makes sense now ;)

Julie you mind sharing how you make vanilla? That would make a great addition to gift baskets this Christmas

Ocean Springs, MS

Badcat, the vanilla is easy to make! You will need to buy some vanilla beans. I would suggest buying them online in bulk if you plan to make quite a few bottles. If you buy them at Walmart, it costs over $9.00 for 4 beans! You'll also need vodka. I bought the cheapest kind because the vanilla infuses it and the brand of vodka makes no difference, You can buy bottles from Michaels, but I just save small jars and clean them well.
For an 8 ounce bottle, you'll need
1 cup vodka
2-4 vanilla beans (sliced open down the bean)
Place the sliced vanilla beans in the jar. Fill jar with vodka. Shake well. You will see the small black specks mixing in (these are the vanilla seeds). Keep in a cool, dark place for about a month to allow vanilla to infuse the vodka.

Very easy!

My box finally left yesterday, It should be delivered Monday. I forgot to include the recipes, so when you get your box, let me know and I can email you the recipes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.