Come play with conifers...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

...and see how many of the eighteen labeled in this image you can identify.

A few have been here for a hundred years. The rest just arrived last week.

After a while, I will provide closer views of all (that I have images for)...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Hmmm...thinking that it might be hard to read.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not just hard, impossible! ;-)

Resin

Oh well...

When I'm next ensconced with my laptop, I'll try to provide larger text size.

The problem is that the DG software cuts image size drastically - might be best to subdivide the original full-size pic into 4 (or even 16) parts and post them individually. Or upload it somewhere else that allows full image size and add a link.

Resin

I've got more pics of the site, with less trees in each. I'll try them first.

By the way...driving through West Virginia, listening to radio station WFIR...

OK, after a brief sojourn in our nation's capital, I'm giving this pop quiz another try.

Let's see if this has enough detail for you to take a crack at identifying some of these conifers.

East Bridgewater, MA

#5 Sawara Cypress

Please include scientific/botanical/Latin names with your proposed identifications, since common names can vary from nation to nation, if not house to house. It also could be fun to list all the available choices, and list as "No guess" or "Pass" any that you don't wish to disclose an answer for. Then, accumulating information can simply be cut/paste into future posts.

Regardless, #5 is not close to that plant's identity, however you clarify that choice.

Knowing that none of these group images will be that sharply defined by individual tree, I'd expect that most here would target the genus as a separating feature. Pedagogy in tree ID, if you will.

This is one of the ways to learn about plants and identification "on the hoof". I'll also fully admit that these trees are fresh from nursery production, and much about their sheared form doesn't offer assistance in sorting them out.

If this process continues through identification of each numbered plant down to genus, then I'd logically provide more closeup images of each tree and its characteristic parts to further pare down what it is.

Here's another batch. I'm trying to use the same ID number for trees that show up in more than one image, so everyone can keep track.

I'm not great at applying these labels - feel free to criticize.

Nonetheless, here is another image with more choices. We are up to sixteen different species - just about halfway through the collection.

One more image for tonight.

Let's see some foliage and cone close-ups ;-)

Resin

I'm certain none of these will be a mystery to you, Resin. Rather, I expect that you might be able to coach some of the ways to accurately separate genera and species, for those less studied and experienced (INCLUDING ME).

I think the general conifer enthusiast might be able to pick up ways to spot differences between Fir, Spruce, Pine, Hemlock, and others when just seeing the plants in passing. Knowing some of those things then often will trigger the interest in learning more about a partially recognized plant.

THEN - move on to the finer details of foliage and reproductive structures. There will be some coning features available, but not every plant here has (or necessarily will) exhibit these parts this spring.

OK I'll try a few . . .

1 Abies
2 Abies
3 Pinus, possibly P. heldreichii
4 Abies
5 Pinus 'Shear Murder'
6 Taxodium distichum
7 Picea ?
8 Pinus ?
9 Cupressus nootkatensis
10 Pinus peuce or close relative
11 Can't find it?
12 something else ruined by shearing
13 Pinus armandii or P. wallichiana or P. × schwerinii
14 Abies ?? Taxus ??
15 Picea
16 not enough detail visible
17 Abies ?
20 Pinus 'Shear Murder' again

Resin

As I said...

#7 is not a Picea sp., but all the rest are correct genus. Of course, you ruined it for folks like neefman and Pseudo who are sharpening their ID skills.

Guess I'll have to roust out more detailed images, and see if they will weigh in...

Here are images of Conifer #3.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here are images of Conifer #12.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here are images of Conifer #14.

Quote from ViburnumValley :
As I said...

#7 is not a Picea sp., but all the rest are correct genus.[/quote]Not easy, as it's another sheared ruin, so the shape isn't natural. Abies again?
Of course, you ruined it for folks like neefman and Pseudo who are sharpening their ID skills.
;-))

[quote="ViburnumValley"]Here are images of Conifer #3.

Definitely Pinus heldreichii [syn. P. leucodermis]. That's a sneaky trick, hunting down the single fascicle of 3 needles, when the rest are all in pairs ;-))

Resin

This message was edited May 25, 2014 10:29 PM

Here are images of Conifer #20.

Here are images of Conifer #5.

Here are images of Conifer #13.

I'm certain none of these will be a mystery to you, Resin. Rather, I expect that you might be able to coach some of the ways to accurately separate genera and species, for those less studied and experienced (INCLUDING ME).

I think the general conifer enthusiast might be able to pick up ways to spot differences between Fir, Spruce, Pine, Hemlock, and others when just seeing the plants in passing. Knowing some of those things then often will trigger the interest in learning more about a partially recognized plant.

Rather easier said than done - a good analogy is how you recognise people you know: something that's very, very easy once you know them, but virtually impossible to explain in words. Things to look for include crown shape, branch structure, overall colour, etc.

Resin

5 - Pinus cembra
20 - Pinus peuce
13 - suspect this is a hybrid Pinus peuce × Pinus wallichiana

Resin

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Geesh that was too difficult for me...I really need to step up my game. I so needed to go by growth form argh!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

This is entertaining! Thank you VV for letting us play with the conifers. Are these located in one of the Louisville parks? If this is your doing, you've left your conifer mark in the park.

Have #12 & #14 been identified? I'm going to guess Abies for both, with the first being nordmanniana and the second being koreana. I'm so confident in my answer that I'll part with my 7' Acer griseum if I'm wrong.

This message was edited May 25, 2014 11:18 PM

Glad you are enjoying the chase. These trees are newly planted at Shawnee Park in Louisville, which is one of the three large parks originally designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr. in the early 1890s. This area of the park was conceived by FLO as the pinetum, a collection of conifers which would provide a rich evergreen experience in this broad riverfront property.

When working in historic parks (the Olmsted system is listed on the National Register of Historic Places), a key element of the process is respecting historic design intent. I consider my effort to be the grit in the oyster - which will then be built upon by the efforts of the many staff who planted these trees and will maintain them for years to come - with a decent pearl being the eventual result for the community to enjoy in the future.

#12 and #14 are both in the Abies genus, but they have not been identified to species level yet. #12 is NOT Abies nordmanniana; #14 is Abies koreana.

Can you divide your Acer griseum...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I think my Acer griseum is dead. Which part do you want?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Aw heck, be a pal. Give him the less dead part. ;-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

did you say Pawnee Park?

Thumbnail by sallyg

You don't s'posed to post pics of fellow DGers...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ok who's solving Conifer 12? I would, but I don't want to deprive anyone who's really got his/her heart set on doing it...
as if.
I'm kidding of course, I haven't a ghost of a chance. I'm blindfolded in the dark without my glasses at this level of play.

Quote from sallyg :
ok who's solving Conifer 12?

Possibly Abies homolepis, but needs more detailed pics (and preferably a cone pic) to be sure.

Resin

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

If only I could taste the needles, then I'd surely be able to ID it. ;)

Resin got #12.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, Resin. I am truly impressed.Your knowledge is amazing.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol Pseudo!

Yes Momlady, Resin is certainly amazing, we're so lucky to have him to take pity on us.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Mipii :
Yes Momlady, Resin is certainly amazing, we're so lucky to have him to take pity on us.

I learned to deal with mediocraty a long time ago, so consorting with the likes of Resin and VV is a feather in my cap. :)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Dang, I almost forgot the reason I checked in. Was FLO a plant lover? I know he had a deep understanding and admiration for trees, but I got the impression from reading his bio that it was more about the landscape design than the plants. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and since he was THE landscape architect, probably to be expected.

Going solely on memory from here - since I'm into a nice Zinfandel tonight, with DW's Million Dollar Bars (shortbread, caramel, chocolate, sea salt...............).

FLO was about everything in the composition. Plants are a part of every landscape, but not the only thing. He was first to recognize that Yosemite ought to be protected as a reservation when he worked for the Mariposa Mines company that originally owned that land. He subsequently worked diligently to protect the Niagara Falls region (even lowly Goat Island and its plants) against scurrilous development.

Fred was a man of many moods and many skills, overarchingly that great landscapes should be for all - whether man-made (by his designs) or naturally occurring. Where the plants were, what they looked like, and what effect they brought upon the mind of man - all that counted.and none of it was to be trusted to those of fleeting and political nature.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Going solely on memory from here - since I'm into a nice Zinfandel tonight, with DW's Million Dollar Bars (shortbread, caramel, chocolate, sea salt...............).[/quote]

I'd like to invest a million bites in her Million Dollar Bars.

[quote="ViburnumValley"]...none of it was to be trusted to those of fleeting and political nature.

Yes, that came out in the book. Some things never change...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.