what's on my tomato seedlings?

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I have this white stuff on my tomato plant leaves. At first I thought it was powdery mildew & treated it with milk but now I don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

to be quite honest, it doesnt look like any tomato plant that i have ever seen (neither regular leaf, or potato leaf). But whatever it is, have you been getting the leaves wet when watering? it looks sort of like sun scald to me, any tiny critters hiding under the leaves?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

if its not leaf scald, and its something that little critters are doing, my first guess would be thrips, considering the way the damage looks

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

They look like bean seedlings to me.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I have both tomato & tomatillo seedlings in this space so it could be either. Yes I was getting them wet. I.ll try 2 avoid that. There are also tiny black insects on the leaves. They look like pin head size beetles. Maybe they're contributing?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ah....flea beetles, the same tiny bugs responsible for making eggplant leaves look like swiss cheese

http://www.agrisk.umn.edu/cache/ARL02958.htm

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Is there anything I can use 2 get rid of them? I don't like 2 use pesticides but would bt get rid of them? Or anything else?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

one thing i did once was set up some sticky tape by the plant, and then give it a good shake, and you will get some to jump off and land on the tape and cant get off. i wouldnt resort to the BT just yet, as it is a bit harsh not just on the bugs, but on everything else in my humble opinion. Things i would try first would be diatomaceous earth, neem oil, if you must use a spray, i would look for one that is spinosad based. ive even heard taking a low power dust vacuum and sucking them off will do the trick, and after they are gone, place what they call a Floating Row Cover over top of them--otherwise they WILL be back.

This message was edited May 17, 2014 11:17 AM

Bt is used for worms, as far as I know. The shell on the beetles makes them hard to kill with D Earth. I have had good luck with neem oil, just don't spray it in the heat of the day. Row covers may work but they make pollination difficult, if the crop is pollinated by insects.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

well I think the soap spray & neem oil will be my starting plan. Thanks for all your help!

Can you keep us posted on what type of seedlings those are? I don't see tomato seedlings. Lol

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

They are purple tomatillos.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.