Questions about clematis vines along a fence from a newbie.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hello, all. I'm planning on planting clematis terniflora on a fence line. I had some soil questions and problems that I discussed over at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1359037/ (hope that crossposting is not violating a forum rule, if it is I didn't see it and apologize). Anyhow, I was wondering how many and how far apart I should plant along a 50' wood fence line (fence is 6' tall), the more coverage the better. And how far from the fence they should be, and how to train them to go up the fence and not be ground cover. Any complementary vines I could use to add some contrast, color or interest? Any and all advice would be really appreciated. Thanks again.

I just thought of another question -- I'm growing these vines to cover a 6' wood fence that runs along an alley. I've noticed that the pictures I've seen show pretty much leaves and wood until the vine hits the crest of a fence, then it makes a spray of green and white flowers.

If that's how these vines tend to grow, I'm wondering if I should plant them on the outside of the fence (along the alleyway) so that they grow up the fence and show, on the inside, just the spray of blooms at the top, perhaps hanging down into the yard. Then I could plant shrubs or flowers along the inside of the fence.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

sounds like you have found autumn celmatis, I have a very old plant that covers my screened in deck for the summer and blooms in the fall. Plant it on the inside of the fence, that way you get to enjoy the foliage and the flowers. Every spring I cut mine back to about two feet, then as it grows, train it up and over the deck. Seems to bloom better after trimming, and creates wonderful shade for the deck.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.