Wilted Stems on Coyote Plant

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a Coyote plant that has 3 or 4 wilting stems. It seems to be well hydrated because the rest of the plant is doing alright and the soil in the earthbox is moist. No sign of aphids or any other bugs. All my other plants are fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I grow Coyote every year. It is one of my favorite yellow cherry tomato.
Some varieties do wilt their upper leaves as habit, but Coyote never did in my garden.
I hope somebody will come up with an answer.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Any chance the heavy winds we had earlier in the week broke some of the tips? I had some damage at the tips of one of my Husky Red plants this week.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

My first concern was that it might be fusarium or verticillium wilt. If that were the case, wouldn't the whole plant be dead by now? We have had an awful lot of wind, so I'm going to chalk it up to wind stress as dreaves suggested.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Can plants in EBs get wilt?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

My question as well Lisa, which is why I didn't post in tis thread b/c I have no experience with EB's myself.

I don't even know what kind of growing medium is put in an EB, but I assume an artificial mix of some kind, and if so then none of the normal soil borne systemic diseases such as Fusarium, verticillium, RKN's and more would be in there.

Cactusman, did you buy your plants, and I ask b'c if they were grown as seedlings in ground, then all bets are off, but I would also assume that if you bought all of your plants grown that way and only Coyote was affected then again, all bets are off, at least from me.

Carolyn

Carolyn-this is my first year trying EBs and the medium is coir or a peat based potting mix. I highly doubt it is wilt most likely this crazy wind. Was herbicide sprayed anywhere near?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I start all my tomato, pepper, and eggplants from seed. I use the same medium for seed starting and earthboxes, which is a soil-less blend of organic materials from Gardenville, a local nursery and gardening supply chain.Anyway, everything seems to be O.K. now. No more wilted stems. So I'm going to blame it on the 50 mph winds coupled with 89 degree heat we experienced here earlier.For gardening in Texas, earthboxes are the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's really no way to keep two tomato plants or six pepper plants, or two eggplants alive in our summer heat on only 2 gallons of water per day in the open ground, even with a heavy mulch applied. But you can with earthboxes. And now with the stage 3 water restrictions now imposed on us due to the prolonged drought, keeping a conventional garden alive could get you in trouble with the local authorities.

Well that rules out wilt. Glad to know everything is ok. I forgot abt the water restrictions bc I'm on a well. This is my first season using EBs but I'm also planting in my raised beds. To see the difference will be interesting. Since I grow about 70 tomato plants I can't do them all in EBs. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.