Just Sharing

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

About a year ago I asked the group about ideas for a vine that didn't go nuts like a honeysuckle. I got sever good choices. The pictures are of the one I chose. Its the Mexican Flame Vine. Its supposed to only get to about 8 foot high and perhaps as wide. I discovered that trimming it back in EARLY spring actually made the top bloom out more and fill in. Next year, I'll cut it down lower to filling the empty spaces and then let it go crazy again. I have one in sort of filtered sun as well as one in full sun. Both are doing well.

Thumbnail by cactusjumper Thumbnail by cactusjumper
Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

Those are beautiful!

Phoenix, AZ

I love it!
I had several years ago. My drip system died and by the time I realized it so did a lot of plants :(

Gilbert, AZ

Really pretty! Is that a guara (sp?) in the pot to the right? They both look very healthy!

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, Crista, it is a guara. I LOVE them. I have two in the ground and one in a pot. They are great plants and take the full sun. Very little care to them and when I cut them back in early early spring, the jump back and go crazy. LOVE how light and delicate they are as well as showy.

Gilbert, AZ

What kind of water do you give your guara - do they like to be more dry or more wet? I keep reading about how they're "easy" plants but I keep killing them!

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Crista, I usually give the guara a little water each day. The one in the pot gets water about every other day and I pretty much saturate it, but it drains well. The ones in the ground are on a drip system but farther away from the water source. It actually doesn't seem to matter much to them whether they get a lot of water or just some water. They just seem to grow pretty much on their own. I wish I could be more specific about the water needs, but honestly, I don't think it matters too much. They don't go too long without some water, but I don't flood them either. The trick, I think, is cutting off the long stems once a year. I cut them back all the way to the thick bushy part towards the bottom. They come back quickly and prettier.

Gilbert, AZ

Hmmmm, I think I'll try a guara again! The mexican flame vines are gorgeous, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.