Morning Glories

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi all.
I know about the Ipomoea bindweed weeds around here. I'm wondering if that means I need to restrict all Ipomoea to containers. Or can I plant the ornamental MGs along the chain link? How about the I. batatas?
I keep going to soak some seeds then get worried, so thanks in advance for any insight.
Turtle

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My PNW books all say the same thing-annual Morning Glory should be fine-it's not even in the same genus. But you might want to avoid Moonflowers, just because they are white and look like Bindweed, which might freak out your neighbors! I don't know about the I. batatas.
Lucky you-I bet it is warm enough there for these all to grow great-I have a major Bindweed problem, yet annual Morning Glory just won't do anything. I think 'Grandpa Otto' is lovely.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, that's really unfair for you! If you're going to have the bad you should get the good. :~(

Actually, in past years here I haven't gotten MGs to do anything here either. But I could grow them in Boston, which leads me to believe its not climate. ???

Thanks for the info -- my garden books are all still in storage. I wonder if we're talking about the same bindweed, cuz other gardeners here just call them morning glories. What genus are yours?

I saw Lake Stevens on a map the other day, was surprised how far north it is. Have you gotten to start your gardening yet?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I had no luck last year with MGs- I bought several fancy Japanese seeds and got some from DGrs, but only had a few flowers- lots of huge beautiful leaves! I( gave the seeds all to a neighbor-

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I'll take nice leaves over chain link!

I don't know if the chain link is mine or the neighbor's. he doesn't live there,and I've only been here 3 years.

Maybe it's PNW soil? They were SO easy in Boston. Weird.

In the Midwest, I knew Convolvulus arvensis as Bindweed, or Field Bindweed. Here in Seattle, people call it Morning Glory, or Morning Glory vine. Whatever it's called, I hate it. It is a perennial, and hard to eradicate.
The pretty annual Morning Glories, like Grandpa Ott and Heavenly Blue, are annuals in the Ipomoea purpurea species. I grew them in Ohio, and they loved the hot summer so maybe it was the heat. But I thought it gets hot in Springfield?
The taxonomy has been confused for Ipomoea and Convolvulus-both are in the Convolvulaceae family, each genus having hundreds of species! When I was younger I seem to recall field bindweed was considered to be Ipomoea, tyhat is probably why we are all so confused.
Bindweed is on the state noxious weed lists for both Oregon and Wa.
Lake Stevens is pretty far north, but spring is well underway-the shotweed aka hairy bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta) is shooting it's seeds everywhere, and I just mowed my lawn for the third time. Sigh.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

mlm that makes so much sense of why so much confusion, thank you! Now I feel better about trying to grow me some nice leaves. And yes, it can get get quite warm here, what some people find to be hot, but since I grew up in the desert it just seems pleasant to me.

Thanks again everybody. Jo, if I have any success I'll let you know.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

13T, I know that this is an older thread but I had a couple ideas about MG's. I have grown them on and off for decades and have noticed a lot of what they like or don't like. They really like heat, they takeoff like crazy once the temps go over 90 and keep going past 115. Even in the hot desert MG's don't like afternoon shade or wet, cool conditions. Even the hybrids reseed like crazy, they just don't come true to the cultivar (always still gorgeous). What I have noticed here in Oregon is that they don't even sprout until July and don't really take off until it stays consistently hot. They are not lovers of acid soil, but thrive at higher ph levels. I added a lot of wood ash to the area where we have them growing and it seemed to help alot. They are blooming profusely now.

Thanks, The wood ash idea is interesting, maybe that would help turtles and me. I might try some seeds again. I burn some wood, enough so I do sprinkle the ashes around the garden. I never put it all in one place because of the pH effect. Maybe I will make a little spot on the south side of the house for Grandpa Ott next year. I also had noticed the sprouts really want tropical heat to grow at all.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, ORBM, this summer certainly would have been hot enough -- over 100 at times. But I didn't plant any seeds. What you say about the wood ash makes sense to me too, thanks for the insight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.