Common Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)

Downingtown, PA

My first three photos show spicebush in my backyard I planted in the natural, native garden in yellow bloom now in mid-April, the usual time because of some warm days getting the blooming sequence back towards normal here in se PA. This plant is dioecious, so it has separate genders; most plants are not, they are monoecious. The male plants have bigger showier flower clusters while the female plants display smaller, less showy yellowish flower clusters. The first two photos are the male plant and the third is a branch of the female. The forth photo shows my one female plant bearing the red football fruit in late summer that the birds love. The fifth photo shows a specimen in front of some forest developing yellow fall color in October, though not totally full yet. This really nice native plant is neat and clean and is holding its ground against the invasive Asian plants as Amur Honeysuckle and Multiflora Rose around the forest, and it is not eaten by the over-abundant deer.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Rick: It is handsome. My usual questions: How much shade can it take, and how much water does it need? I have a dry shady area I am planning to fill in this season....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have some new little ones that I got at a sale last year... mine are still in pots (not tiny pots), and I don't know yet if they're male or female. But either way, if i can get them to thrive, they'll provide more host foliage for the beautiful Spicebush Swallowtail that's already in my yard because we have sassifras trees (secondary host plant). And maybe I'll actually get to see one of the cool orange cats on these lower bushes... my sassafras trees are too tall!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ooooh -- I wonder if they grow from cuttings -- you might see me at your door with a pair of scissors, once yours are big enough!!!

Downingtown, PA

Both Spicebush and Sassafras are in the Laurel Family, close relatives. Spicebush can grow in full sun to fairly deep shade. It is still common in southeast PA along woodland edges and into the woods. Dr Michael Dirr says that cuttings of half mature twigs of greenwood can root, but not a lot.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Rick; that's very helpful.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, thanks Rick! This looks like a super substitute for forsythia. Beautiful spring bloom for us and pollinators, fruit for the birds, gorgeous fall color, attractive winter form and bark color, deer resistance - what more could we ask of a shrub?

This message was edited Apr 17, 2014 8:06 PM

Downingtown, PA

Yes, much better than cheap, stupid, over-used Border Forsythia or any Forsythia species that are not lovely shrubs with much twigginess, rampant growth, ugly bark, no fall color, and not useful for pollinators. I am happy to recently notice that deer do feed on the young growth of Forsythia in se PA.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Rick, I especially love that last picture. Again, thanks for sharing!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Spicebush is a native to Pa. and it's use has been documented in herbal medicine and cooking since precolonial times. The use of it's parts is nearly as large as it's range is widespread.
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Spicebush.html

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

This one is on my wishlist now--my only concern in my yard is needing space for both male and female plants!

Downingtown, PA

One only needs one male and then can have several females, as one rooster and several hens

Well, I just got a spicebush today from Seasons, and there is no indication of gender! I asked someone working there about it and he was unclear on that point. :-( So how would I know if it's male or female?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a couple of small spicebush saplings that I got at the Balt. Co. MG plant sale. I figure I won't know anything about gender until they get old enough to flower. The ones I bought were self-sown volunteers according to the guy there, so they could be either gender.

I'm actually still waiting for the taller (30") saplings to leaf out... a much smaller one has been in full leaf for a couple of weeks, but not so with the others (all in pots). The leafless ones seem flexible still, with green showing if I scratch the bark, so I'm hopeful. I bought a couple more this year (bought all they had left, actually), so assuming last year's plants are OK I'll have 2 extras... Happy & Muddy mentioned them first on this thread, so they have dibs... glad you found one, Catmint!

They seem to be very hard to find "in the trade," but once I get a little group established, I should be able to provide seedlings and/or root cuttings to share. :-)

Thanks, Critter! Seasons had several but I need to know the gender of the one I have before obtaining another, so it sounds perfect to wait and see what's what over time...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, and thank you so much, I would like one Critter.

Will they propagate from stem cuttings? You mention root cuttings, but I've never done that. Once we figure out who has what, we can each propagate and share.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Exactly... between all of us, we're sure to get both genders going!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We can't just lift it up and look under its leaves?

LOL Happy ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.