What should I grow up my home's facade?

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi folks!
I would like to grow a vine up the front of my house. I am thinking Boston Ivy, but people keep warning me away from it. Do you have other recommendations for vines that would behave better than Boston Ivy and yet would stick to the home of their own accord?

The thing about Boston Ivy is that I love the regular/patterned look of the leaves and the green wall that they create. Other vines that I've seen seem very bushy and wild looking. Is there something that gives the same effect without the negatives?
Thanks!
- CJ

P.S. I'm looking to grow it up the left-hand side and across, or potentially start two, one on the left and the other on the wall between the entry and the garage.

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Crossvine: evergreen and slow grower and self climber ...
Not invasive in my zone ... maybe you should check your zone before you will buy it.
It is in bloom right now and it is amazing. I do have 3 different varieties.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor

Thanks, drthor! That is stunning.
Just want to confirm that it sticks to the wall on its own? What is its method for sticking? Would you mind posting a pic of the tendrils where it attaches?

When you say slow grower, how slow do you mean? How old are the vines that you have here? I do have a lot of space to cover, so I'm wondering about the slow-growing aspect of it.
Thanks!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The vine has little tendrils.
You will need to get it started yourself, then the vine will just attack to walls or wood.
These vines are 4 years old. They started on a 1 gallon pot and they were 3' tall.

Be patient and you will be rewarded.
If it was me, I rather have slow growing fantastic flower vines than invasive and fast growing.
Because if they grow fast, you will spend all your time trimming them.

Good luck!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture that best show the little tendrils.
Or you could plant a Clematis (these are pictures from my garden today)

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor

Wow dthor, that Clematis/Rose combo is amazing! I love it up your brick facade with the lights. Stunning.
So am I understanding right that the rose sticks to the brickwork on its own, and then the Clematis is climbing up the rose for support? (My understanding is that Clematis needs something to hang onto?) Or is there a trellis under there supporting both of them?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Neither of them will stay up or climb the wall by themselves.
I do have a wire on the wall.
The rose is wrap around the wire (it is always a "task" or it will fall down), then the clematis does all the wrapping by itself.
I have many clematis all over my garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.