I feel Spring coming! (okay, I know it's already here but..)

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi all! Coming out of my winter hibernation. DH and I have been out this week assessing the "garden". If you remember, we bought a foreclosure that had been sitting for 3 years and had 15 years worth of blackberries growing; up to the second story! Hubby's hard work last year digging up the blackberries by the roots has paid off; little ones popping up now but manageable. The big news is that we've decided to naturalize the property which I'm very excited about. I plan to do selective weeding and add plants within the grasses. Hubby has uncovered huge piles of flagstone and we are going to use it to build a nice outdoor area with a fire pit, surrounded by the naturalized areas, and paths all around the property leading to different "rooms". I'm hoping to do a blog on the whole adventure, from blackberries to semi-tamed property. Here are a few shots of the property in it's current state. See that crabapple tree in bloom? It was completely buried in blackberries when we got the place, didn't even know it was there! All of the grassy areas you see were under 12 feet of blackberries. And yesterday, we uncovered the little kitty gravestone under the crabapple. We moved it in front of the statue which is the final resting place of one of our own kitties.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2014 12:54 AM

Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Lyn, all that work clearing the blackberries is worth it now that you have all that space, dreams, and plans. How great to find all that flagstone, too.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Let the fun begin!

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

One of the biggest pluses is that hubby is actually into gardening! He's never been an outdoorster and could have cared less about gardening, but the call of the earth has gotten into his bones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.