bird question

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We always have lots of birds here in the winter and always see lots of bluebirds. Here is the question: today they were congregating around all the bird houses and hanging gourds. They were flying in and out, sitting on them and carrying stuff into the houses. They were in all of them, even the little wren houses. What are they doing? There were several pairs at each house. Are they getting an early start for spring? Do they sleep in them in the winter? We have bluebird houses for them to use too, and they did nest in them this summer. Now I'm wondering where the little wrens will stay this winter?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Cala, go to http://www.enature.com and click on the ask the expert thingy. they are very good about asking questions like this. And let us know what you find out. We have bluebirds inthe summer - one last week was singing to me when I was outside, and we may see them as early as February if the weather isn't too harsh. I love them - like a flash of sky and they really are quite chatty!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

The red bellied woodpeckers have been busy enlarging the holes in my BB houses lately...they have NEVER done this before. I guess come spring I'll need to get hole guards or more BB houses.

E-Nature said the bluebirds just want to roost in the houses this winter. When the wrens come back in the spring, the bluebirds will have found their own nesting places.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I wonder if this means we are in for a harsh winter!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

sorry - clicked too many times...lol!

This message was edited Tuesday, Nov 13th 6:33 PM

They said it was "normal" for them to do this. I've noticed other birds "camping" in vacant nests during the winter, just never noticed bluebirds doing it before.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Ginger, The wooodpeckers enlarged the holes in some of my bird-boxes also ~ I end up having to put brass gaurds around the entrance holes.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Cala, bluebirds winter around here and use the nest boxes on the property for shelter.I've seen as many as 9 come out of one house on cold mornings.They huddle up inside and use each other's bodies to keep warm. It's fairly common here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.