CLOSED: April Chat - Showers and Flowers!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

LK, none othose is this plant. When you see it it looks like a rounded bush made out of green stems and it blooms before Forsythia

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Do you have a picture?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

So very early. Hhhmmm. I really do not know either.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

No pic. And I dug it up from my flower bed where it was spreading all over. Everywhere a stem touched ground it rooted. I can get a pic of one in someone else's yard and will try to do that next time I visit my brother. I can also get a pic of the stem and leaves, a close-up which may give you a better idea.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good. I'm very curious.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

No help here, something that roots from touching the ground. I see why you thought it was forsythia.

This is a shot in the dark I have searched for over an hour. I was in a swap and sent someone a pair of bib overalls that were cut up for gardening apron and for the life of me I can't remember who it was or even figure out what swap it was. I went thru my dmails and darn I can't find it. Any chance any of you remember....I am so nuts anymore but I was sure I could figure it out using my dmail.

Debra hope you had a great day!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I did and are you guys getting pounded with rain and wind and hail right now? Dropping down to 27 here tommorrow night. UGH!
My snowberry bush does the dropping branch making new plant thing, I have a ton of them potted up.
I did get some ros planted, my forsythia planted, and a catalapa tree potted up for my sis in law, from a new friend I met the other day..
The bridal wreath and spirea is all blooming, so are the tulips, the dafs, the virgina blue bells,, so pretty. Prolly will get frost bit. My bleeding heart is nust now blooming, I need to cover it up tonight. got the lilly of the valeys covered up .. they havn't opened yet and I wish I hadn't gotten the leaves off of stuff now.. suppposed to rain/snow Monday night.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra, sounds like your weather is going to be just like oirs. Stinks huh? I do have a few daffys almost up. But really nothing has blossomed out yet. It just really now has warmed up some. So I am happy about that.

glad you are starting to get some spring time, Ronna.. I always get started too early so no one to blame but myself, the good news is I took pics of everything already bloming so if they get frostbit, at least I have a memorie.. Worred about my old fashioned pear tree tho, it is loaded with blooms.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We're expecting freezing temps tomorrow night. :( I took some photos as well. We'll see what happens.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Crystal how tall is that mystery shrub?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1356592/

Kathy has the raise my baby swap open. Come and check it out!

I am headed home tonight!! Missing Ralph,, but hate leaving my Aunt Moe....

Ormond Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

hi, I am Elfie's aunt. She signed me up,I'm glad to be with you,

Welcome GrandmaMoe. Glad to have you here!

Welcome Grandmamoe, so nice to see you joined us!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Grandmamoe....welcome to DG! It's a great fun place! Everyone is sooo friendly!

Well I am on the bus and headed home. I had a great trip and went to the central Florida RU with Moe. We had so much fun and I really hated to leave. I am going back soon. The only thing bad about the trip was it was to short.

Hi Grandma Moe, welcome to the family.
I know how ya feel Kris. I really wish I could drive to panama city beach and see KayJones again and stay longer.. *sigh*

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Moe. Nice to meet you. I love Florida. Sounds as if you two had a wonderful time. Our Elfie is quite the gal. :)

Awe.. you guys are so nice. I am quite the nut job here...lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

But who doesn't love nuts?? ♥

Am I home yet??

If u are on davess u are at cyber home. :)

Lol.. this is true. But I still have hours to go...

Are we there yet??? ^_^

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Grandmamoe.. Here you will find a Mix of Blooming Flower Friends HAHA Ya All Thought I Was going to say Blooming
ID--Ts Didn't ya ??? :)))) Nope Only ID--TS Don't have the fun we have :))))) have a great day all .

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello grandmamoe!!! Glad to "meet" you. Hope you all are doing well. He had a couple days of spring around here woke up to two inches of snow everywhere. Had to scrape my car and windows off. So windy.

Haha Deejay,, I am home and tired. I missed so much while I was gone. I planted a bunch of seeds, we'll 90% of them sprouted So I have tons of baby plants. I am going to have to start dividing them up very soon. I kind of just dumped each package of the seeds in each pot,, I just did not trust them to sprout, I was wrong..lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL. What kinds of seeds, Elfie?

Ummm,, we'll,,, cucumber, morning glory, sweet peas, sunflower, greenbeans, hot peppers, sweet peppers, dill, painted daisys, and more. I kinda got carried away.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh yeah. :-)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow elfie you are always so busy how do you have time to take care of plants and flowers? K do not have luck with seeds.

I never have any luck with seeds,,, this is a fluke.

I need everyone's advice. We are at the point where we need to make a final decision as to building the Florida room/sunroom/greenhouse. I was originally going to build it on the back of the house facing the woods, but now I am thinking I would rather build it in front facing the road. The reason for this is we get morning sun in the front, but not so much in the back. I think I would like to build a large deck in the back. That way we can enjoy the sun setting and also can BBQ at the same time.
So what does everyone think??

I would go with the front for the green house.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think I would too. Might as well make the best use of both spaces.

Morning sun or else your room may be too hot to enjoy, especially if it is all windows. I am sure you could install shading to help with that, but that would depend on what you are planning to use the room for. If you are going to use it for plants, of course, the more light the better. Will it have climate control, since it is attached to house? A/C in summer? Lots of variables here.
My greenhouse gets full sun all day and the temps can go over 120* by afternoon. I use shade clothes that help bring it down to 100 and run fans to keep the air moving. But it is freestanding with no shade at all. I really had no idea how hot it would get in there until we actually got it built and went through a summer with it.
I have 5 windows in my dining room that face E/SE and are 4'x6' ,and even with morning sun the room heats up quickly. One of the windows gets sun until afternoon. then the big oak tree shades it. It is something to think about, if you have a choice.

Course here in cold country our grrenhouses all face south. With solid north walls to keep the cold out. Even in zone 5 greenhouses are too hot to use during the summer. Unless u are prepared to spend a lot of money. Solid roofs will eleminate the problem but then it is not a greenhouse. Got a tree that will shade it in the summer and then drop it's leaves for winter? Our.solar.room is solid glass.with a roof. It faces south to set degrees so the sun comes in during the winter to help heat the house and then as the sun gets higher in the sky during the summer it doesn't shine in the room any longer. Shade tree on east and west sides to shade the room during the summer sun rising and setting. Works great for additional heat and a greenhouse. Ill take some pics later if u want.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Has anybody heard from Crystal? She hasn't posted for awhile. I hope she's just busy or busy in her garden. I sure miss her when she doesn't post.

Our house is brick and when the sun heats the brick, it stays warm for quite awhile after sunset and radiates heat. Way too hot for a sunroom or a greenhouse in the summer or even a deck in the back. But the warm brick is great in the winter. Our deck is on the side of the house. I have a lot of micro-climates in the yard. Big trees, big roots, but they are deciduous and the shade is very welcome in the summertime.

Yes, post some pictures, Joyce. I'd love to see them and drool. :)

I do have tree to shade. The building it will be added to does get very hot in the summer. I plan to put all the windows on metal dowels that I can lift out during the hottest parts of the day the windows will be screened in from the inside. I am not explaining this very well. Maybe I can draw a picture of what I mean later tonight.and it will have a solid metal roof, but we are thinking sky lights. Big skylights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.