April 2014 Returning to the great outdoors!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Will, cut the upper part of the petunias off. It will rebound hopefully though not right away. The one on the right looks pretty bad but the left one I think can be saved.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My seed menagerie just getting started , It's growing a little at a time , hopefully the seeds and plants also ....
Yes Will , you Win !!! It is too , too, Cold !!! either way ! Much so ....
Still though ,, warmer to come , makes one feel like ^_^^_^^_^ lol ...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oops , forgot something ,,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

A lot of that brown and drooping on the right is a Coleus cutting that I stuck in there, it looks brown and droopy, (I think I already plucked it out of there but not before the pic unfortunately). The Petunia on the left looks alot worse than the one on the right. Just curious, did you guys at HD cover up anything lastnite?

3 of my guys were out in the rain covering as much as they could. They got all but 2 tables. Anything on carts got brought under the canopy or inside the building.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

My new sedum plants were moved into garage yesterday - just in case. I cut the large daffodils that were blooming and am looking at them now - I know the flowers will get freeze dried. There is nothing I can do about my fruit trees. Some have finished blooming (apricot, plum), some are in the middle of bloom (peach - at most risk), some have not yet started (apple).

I watch Accuweather online all the time and grit my teeth when they keep changing the prediction from above freezing to below. I am hardening off peppers at above 60 degrees and need to start doing this to tomatoes too. Need around 60 in daytime for several hours and above 32 at night.

I need to look at the lunar eclipse tonight too.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh carol I heard it is called a blood moon because it will be red.

Sounds wonderful not sure I will see it tho.

I should of picked the daffodils but maybe the house will keep them warm eenough.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Update: 11:11 PM moon is full and gold - not red - not eclipsed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

carolmo ; 12;12 am here now
What Moon?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Will,
Yes we do :o)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEPPER!!

Not a real nice day here. I made myself a birthday cake yesterday and naturally it stuck in the pans. I made 3 layers. DH whipped some cream and frosted it for me. Dad will be up later and I'll make a pot of coffee for the occasion :o)
He likes chocolate almost as much as I do, but not as much as his sister. We are the real chocolate hounds :o)

Have a beautiful day!

Late happy birthday Billy hope it was a good one. Haven't had a birthday cake in years and years. Now I know how to get one...rofl.

Oh happy birthday Pepper! You guys are almost twins.

Had a hard freeze the darts are not smiling any more :( the house didn't seem to protect them.

Anyone go out in the cold and watch the eclipse?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Happ :o)

I couldn't pick a better twin!

Yes, but we didn't get any good pictures. This was the best.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Wow out in the cold at 3am? Lol. Sorry I missed it. I am recovering from reading ...lol. once I get a good book I am up reading all night long.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
LOL! Yep and it was cold! It didn't take long for it to lose it's color, so it was worth it!

My Jonathan apple tree came today and it's soaking. I need to plant it around 2:30 or so, after the roots get a good soaking. It's a nice sturdy tree, the roots look good and I'm happy with it so far. I'm glad the hole was already dug. I have all the dirt in the garage to plant it with.

Have a happy day!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ha! My garlic just came! It's too wet to plant it tho.

Glad you saw the blood moon, and you didn't freeze!

Well I played outside cause it has warmed up. Most of the daffs perked back up mostly. Not alot I can do outside too cold and wet to plant. Already sort of cleaned up the gardens but don't want to clean them all the way because we will have another round of cold I am sure.

Can;t mulch because the trees haven't dropped all that trash from them (seeds). I am beginning to see wees.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow you all are very busy with the p, anting. There is no way I could plant anything outside yet. It is way to cold. We got a couple inches of snow last night.Two days ago it was 64 degrees. Today it was only 24 degrees. 40 degrees colder. Bulbs are coming up. Poor babies what a slap in the buds. Lol. We need this winter to go away.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I took a walk a while ago , a warm no wind 34 degrees and a while ago , cold and windy again now , Zinnia under soda bottle took last nights 26 -28 degrees or so ? Tonight freezing again so a few days before I can tell if their all burned to boiled salad ,,
Sometimes okay , sometimes not , the bottles and jars thing ,, good old time redundant though .
Planted some snapdragon seeds in cubes last night , set them on the porch and watched them get snow covered ,,
I am going to try the same coming with a few annuals , Their not looking good in their cup pots ,, Next weeks 60's and 40's should be more like 70's 80's 50's under the Bottles ..
Hoping on ,, mostly for winter like weather to end ... well,, that and winning the lottery ,, But that would probably only give me something else to gripe about ,,,lol

Happy birthdays billyp and pepper! :) Yeah, that moon was really cool. There was no way I could stay up in those wee hours to see it at it's peak. On the way to work this morning it was still a little pale red, that was cool a little bit. I wish last nite weren't a work-nite, I might've stayed up.
So far not much change on my planters that I spent Sunday assembling in the rain, to have them suffer Sunday nite. I'm a little uncertain about my Strawberry Begonia's fate, it seems to have a couple or a few dead leaves and the whole thing seems flatter, but no browning on it that I can tell.
I'd hate to lose it to my stupidity! Tax day come and tax day go! Anyway, I did mine last nite before bed and unfortunately enclosed a check for $117!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
My daffs are just up a few inches, but my neighbor's were hanging their heads. They haven't been blooming long, so I think they'll perk up too.
Yep, I went thru the too cold to work and now the too wet. Spring will get here. And soon I hope!

Ronna,
I feel for you, but I guess that is your spring. I see those south of me enjoying spring and I'm still waiting, but not as long as you have to.

Ju,
It's amazing how much warmer it is with no wind.
I hope your seedlings make it. I have snaps up and need to look at the tall tomatoes sprouts and maybe repot them soon.

Thank you Will!
I didn't stay up, but happened to get up at 3:00 am. It was at it's peak color then.
I hope your plants come thru the weather.
Now, it never pays to wait to do taxes on the day before. It just causes stress... Just get 'em done and mailed in :o)

A bit warmer and windy today. I am going to get out and walk later.

Have a good day!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Belated birthday wishes Pepper! I hope that you enjoyed your special day.

Yesterday was extremely busy for me with yard work & volunteering at the community feeding. I guess that I didn't log on yesterday? Ended up at the ER late with Chloe screaming that her ear hurt. Yep, an ear infection & she's sleeping good now. Kids are so resilient. I'll return her to Carla tonight (who's still in much pain from the impacted wisdom teeth extractions), & I'm back @ work tomorrow morning. I guess Carla & Chloe will have to look after each other.

I've been getting some yard work in here & there & uncovered a nice size garter snake yesterday. I deposited a huge pile of debris on the curb for the city to pick up; the evidence of my hard labor. It's pretty windy here today, but the sun is shining. I'm going back out to finish the job as soon as the temps rise closer to 50. Expected high around 60 today. That wind is going to beat me up!

I'll try to catch up on reading & viewing pics later; like bp I've fallen behind. Recent photos from before I cleaned up the yard. Tulip tree across the alley. The wind has since blown the petals off the tulip tree and cherry bushes. I now have grape hyacinths; if Chloe hasn't picked them! LOL Also, the tulips have huge buds & should be opening soon. The hollyhocks that I planted last year are up, so I should get some nice blooms this summer. The hydrangeas and witch hazel have leaves. It's nice to see that these plants survived the 2014 Polar Vortex. I have more dead wood than usual on my tea roses to prune back; especially the "Iceberg" (how ironic), but all rose bushes have leaves now. The blackberries also have leaves & I've found several self-layered canes that have nice roots.

I'll try to get back on later between gardening & providing Chloe with some grandma "TLC". : )

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Oh, I see billyp! Because we have a birthday on April 15th we're an authority on when to do taxes! I'm just teasing you! Not bullying, just teasing, there's a difference isn't there?! Your right though, I usually don't put it off like that but it's hard to get motivated when your pretty sure you don't have a refund coming. Luckily, I didn't have any problems, everything worked out, I had all my w2's, I downloaded and printed the forms from the websites and was able to view the tax table on the website at irs.gov .

I'm excited about what my friend wants to try and that's turn the front yard into a moss oasis, instead of grass, which we can't have because of the full shade. - http://realestate.msn.com/plant-a-moss-lawn If you want to, you oughta watch that brief slideshow of moss yards it is incredible. - http://realestate.msn.com/roll-out-the-green-carpet Any recommendations on type of Moss?
I'm also gonna see if there's a Moss forum.
This is a record, I've been on hold for one hour and 7 minutes..lol
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes there is Moss discussion here . it's this stuff here . A tray I play with ..

Happy late Birthday to those of you having had a Birthday ,, Yes, Pepper And Billy P . Anyone else I missed Also ..
I myself have petrified ,, no more aging? ,,lol

Thumbnail by juhur7

Nice pot of moss there, ju.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Went around the side of this place to show you where it came from ,
Thank you but the moss is Yellowish or Brown this time year , it rains and gets a little warmer greener much more so it will be .
inside it does not like the air , even under cover .
First pic was from me last fall , I mixed up a few pieces in a blender , making the water green, poured it on the old pieces of concrete and poof ,,
Later the whole side yard will be solid moss , this grows .
I soften some old pieces of concrete , limestone , cement , with a teaspoon of vinegar , and pour some moss mixed in water on there . Stuff grows !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My next question ? Have any growing around near you anywhere ?

My Zinnia went croak ,, Crazy weather ,, oh well , next pair ,, lol , with a grr, sort of .

Cool, I like what you've done with the moss, ju. There isn't any here in the yard but I bet I could find some around here in the woods or in a park maybe. So, you can blend it up in a blender eh, without messing it up? I thought I'd heard that method before too. I saw 5,000 Irish Moss seeds on Amazon
for $6.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Outsidepride-Irish-Moss-5000-Seeds/dp/B005CK8XKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397680085&sr=8-1&keywords=moss+seeds Is Irish Moss a good moss to do a big project like a yard?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have heard Irish moss is , but I don't know .. You have a lot more choices than I do here ,
Mine is common feather , cushion , or thread .. I really don't know which one it is , only that it is native , and in rainy years, it will even grow in the sun , shade all the time ..
Stuff is neat when you get it going , Common mosses you can do the blender trick , like they do with health food algae drinks .
Lime a rock or limestone brush on tall steep rocks with the green water , and poof in no time , moss garden ..I have not done much with mine .. Like it though , it is suppose to make oxygen like swamp algae does .. Sometimes, some are even edible ,, (my taste does not go that way though Lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a Dg conversation about moss trading

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1334181/

Let me know what you decide , what you decide to try that is . all that , If you have a few rocks you want to try this on , I will be happy to send , there is plenty ...

here;s a couple more from the mosses ferns and fungi forum

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/fronds/all/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220230/

This message was edited Apr 16, 2014 7:28 PM

Thanks ju. I don't know about alot of more choices here. Kansas City isn't really drastically different than there by Indianapolis. But, we really want to make this moss plan work, over the years we've tried SO much other stuff that has failed. Let's see, a few that we've tried is grass seed, Pachysandra, Vinca Minor, Japanese Bush Honeysuckle (for some reason, I don't know why, that wasn't my decision). The Honeysuckle just made the front yard look like a 4 to 5 foot high jungle, it was pathetic. I'll research the best kind moss to use in a yard, that's more important than the prettiest I suppose..lol

You can do moss and ajuga should work too. Irish moss is pretty. I would love to have a big patch of it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't have enough shade for any other than this sheet type moss , Have had sphagnum and a few others growing a black trash bag ..
Nothing fancy here , several people have this around DG . Last year I cut some 1ft by 6inch sheets for some DG gardeners ,
Looks not so green right at the moment , although it comes back with a vengeance ,, Moss is kind of fun if you go that way , One thing though , lot easier to start with a live plant(s) if you can get them reasonably ..
Did you ask or look if any body at DG had any ? only a though in passing , you all have a good night ...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Becky,
How I remember ear aches and did they ever hurt! Poor Chloe. I hope she got relief fast.
Poor Carla. I hope she feels much better too.
I haven't seen a snake in my yard for years.
Laughing, I get so tired of battling the wind. Especially if it's chilly to begin with. Where on earth did the March lamb go?
LOVELY spring pictures! We are greening up, but no blooms for me yet.
HUGS to Chloe!

Will,
ROTFL! Yep, I feel qualified. That and the fact that the first year I was a deduction, Dad wanted Mom to wait till l the last minute. She did and by the time she got to the P.O., it was closed. She was madder than a hornet and from then on, taxes were done her way, LOL!
I'm glad you got your's in. No refund just means you spent your own money when you needed to and the Govt. didn't get to collect interest on it :o)
Oh wow! It's cool that she wants to try that! Moss should grow well there. Buttermilk sprayed on the area will provide acidity if there isn't enough.
There are some real pretty emerald green mosses, but I really dont know much about moss. It grew in the flower beds under the walnut trees and we tore it out, LOL!

Ju,
Thank you! Pertified, LOL! That's a good one!
Love your bowl of moss. Just enough to enjoy. Wow, you are the moss lady! It is pretty isn't it?

Will,
I would go to a park or wooded area near you, and take your friend. Look at what native moss is available. Pull it off and bring it home. I'd take a wet baggie to transport it.
If all else fails, mulch heavily :o)

Have a fun day!

Will last year I bought some moses from home depot.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Moss is nice. I put a path in several years ago and there was some growing in my back yard. It took right away. It just looks great. I will have to look at home depot.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happy belated birthday to you BP. Sorry that I missed you. I need to slow down when I'm reading everyone's posts. I keep missing important stuff!

1st 3 images -- the snake that I uncovered raking leaves the other day.

Lake image -- Horseshoe Lake near my home in Madison County, Illinois. You can see the St. Louis Arch in the background looking across the Mississippi River into Missouri. Chloe took the pic of the waterfowl which is abundant year round at Horseshoe Lake. Maybe I'll let Chloe take some pics at the Roundup since she enjoys taking photos.

I'm still trying to process the idea of using moss in landscaping. It's something that I've never thought about. You learn something new everyday here on DG!

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Hehe.. you were a deduction Sally?! I was one this year and one last year and the year before that and before that, for a few years. Not crazy about being one because there goes a big chunk of money right there, not being able to even claim the thing for being single, (which isn't that great anyway..lol)

Hehe "Becky", green is Betty!

I'm gonna look for some moss. You can get it at Home Depot eh, happ, thanks, I may get some there but I don't know if I can buy enuff that way. But, that way I could maybe try part of the yard first.

I haven't yet asked anybody on DG for it, ju. Thanks I may try that. It makes oxygen like plants huh? My friend will like that, she likes that feature of plants, I have that I guess!

I'll look in parks and those places for it, thanks bp.

Nice pics green, my favorite is Horseshoe Lake one with the Arch in the background.

Well, this is the last workday for 2 days! Whew, I'm wore out!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Green,
I just smiled, No biggie, LOL! I like belateds tho. It just stretches the birthday farther :o)
He's a nice size! I hope he finds plenty of mice to eat.
Wow, choppy water! How cool to be able to see the arch! We went up in it once.
She does take good pictures! I sure would let her run around getting pictures!

Will,
Smiling. It's better to be a deduction!
I bring back ferns from parks, Shhhh...
Get some rest!

Oh no! I did it again! Betty, I am so sorry! My babysitter was a Becky and the girl that married my cousin is too, so it's kind of an honor to get your name wrong. But I won't again! Betty Boop :o) I usually don't get names wrong a second time. Oh my.

Have a memory day all :o)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Got my order from the audobaun workshop. Very nice looking hydrangeas and a very pretty clematis.. ruby slippers oakleaf and munchkin. The clematis is dutchess of albany clematis. Now I have to wait to plant them. Still chill at night :( . Drats.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Forgot the photo...

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.