Snake ID

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Can anyone ID this snake for me.

Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like a southern black racer.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

You are welcome! :-)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Went to herpentology site for UF cause my black racer doesn't have those mottled colors on the belly. Solid color looks black except a little white under chin.
Anyhow, hope yours is a racer cause they keep rattlers away and that's good.
I sure would like to have some more of them in my garden if anyone has 1 they would like to get rid of.
They should help keep the population down of those lousy Cuban tree frogs.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That snake looks dead to me. Id like more too. Heck, Ill take almost any snake that eats those frogs, except a coral snake or rattle snake.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I agree with you gardenglory.

BTW, are you able to make it down for the RU April 12? Sure would be nice to meet you.

Maybe you have a gardening friend that would come along with you. I make it to Gainsville in an hour cause my old sewing friend lives on 83rd. St. so I take first exit, can't remember name right now.

Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I have never seen red spots on the side of a black racer before. I have have had several over the years here, but neighbors always kill them. But they have whitish belly. If you get an ID, I hope you post what it is, I'm curious.

We have a rat snake in our shed, we leave it alone since we hate rats and we were starting to have a problem with rats, but since he moved in, no rats. I rarely see it, since they hunt at night. I'm just careful not to stick my hands into anything without looking first, they will bite if threatened.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Possibly an Easter Indigo Snake?

Which I hope not, because that snake species is Threatened.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

That is what I was thinking Shauna, because of the coloring. And that is a good snake to have in the garden, they are a harmless snake and a protected species.

Read this article: http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/communityservices/naturalresources/indigo.asp

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ive had those snakes in the yard. When the sun hits them, they look blue/violet. The ones Ive seen are pretty long, but never to fat.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yipee, spotted 1 yesterday at the end of my house. Just like Sherri's pic. I sure hope he will stay around. Maybe keep the population down of Cuban tree frogs. I've already seen 2 of them but not where I could get to them.

We had a good rain this morning but was hoping it would last all day as I'm filling up my pool.
The well will do it but all the rain I can get now would help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.