Zarza variety of Blackberry

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm coming out of lurking mode on this very knowledgeable forum to ask a question regarding Zarza variety of blackberry. I placed an order with a local nursery for a few backberry bushes, etc. as I am expanding the blueberry and blackberry beds. I asked for two particular varieties and just generally checked over the quality and quantity of bushes when I went to pick them up. Once I got home I noticed that I had two Zarzas included in the order. I called the nursery and was told that they ran out of Ouachitas and gave me two Zarzas instead--she forgot to tell me. I decided to go ahead and plant them out but can't find but a passing mention of this variety on the internet. I can't find this variety on PlantFiles either.

Can anyone here fill me in? I use T-PUPS trellising on my other blackberries so I am wanting to make sure that Zarza will be OK with that.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Never heard of it- must be new. I would ask back at the nursery.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, gal at the nursery didn't have much info either. All I really need to know right now is if it is primocane. I guess I'll find out soon enough but it would be nice to know ahead of pruning. I went back yesterday afternoon and talked to the owner. He was sold out of the Zarza and didn't know much either. He said if he had time he would call the supplier (wouldn't give up who that supplier was). I'm not holding my breath waiting to his follow up phone call with me.

I often order berry plants from Berries Unlimited, but was heading to this local nursery for some replacement fig trees and was feeling adventurous so I added a blackberry order in with the figs. So I guess the Zarzas will be my blackberry adventure for this season ☺!

Thanks for responding pollen. I like your pretty cactus blooms.

Vista, CA

Terri,

I was on my way to Google something else when i saw your question, so i googled Zarza, and it is Spanish for Brambles or Blackberries.

Ernie

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, my older blackberries are Prime Ark. I ordered the Ouachitas (floricanes) for something different so I'm going to assume that the Zarzas are comparable. Guess well see!

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anybody know if the Arkansas thornless blackberry varieties have a harder time growing than the thorny ones (Prime Jim and Prime -somebody)? I had both and the Primes are vigorous still (5 yrs) while the 3 different cultivars of Arkansas ones are either dead or just real puny.

These are in my Wake Forest NC yard (Zone 7B). Soil is pH about 5 and I haven't put lime on it in several years.

Paul

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Prime Jim, Prime Jan and Prime Ark are all patented by the University of Arkansas (please correct me if I am wrong). That being said I have always heard that the thornless varieties of all blackberries are less vigorous than the ones with thorns. The thornless varieties are shown to have much better vigor and longevity when trellised and pruned. All blackberries benefit from regular watering and once a year fertilizing. You might also have your soil tested by the local cooperative extension service and get advice from them as to which varieties of blackberries do best with the soil you have in that area.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Terri,
I may just give them another year to see - that the Arapho (I think it was) died and another is looking pretty weak tells me I maybe should replace with the volunteers from my Prime Jim and Jan. I had been discarding the Prime Jan volunteers into a leaf pile. Don't recall who has the Prime patent - I got them from Stark Nursery. Little bitty things in a dixie cup looking container.
Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.