Dahlias 2014 Part 2

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Figured I would start a fresh thread for all the gorgeous pictures that are going to be forthcoming.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2014 8:02 AM

opssss. we came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343830/

This message was edited Mar 24, 2014 7:59 AM

We went to here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1354212/

Shouldn't try this first thing in the morning.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I did get Akita and Vancouver in the mail today so that's a start. I hope they're as good as last year.

Loved your comment about not trying new threads early in the morning!

Shoot. I was so turned around. humiliating. :)

Human, not humiliating!

Oh so very.....

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Yea! My Longfield Dahlia order just arrived today. The tubers are large and look very nice. Names: Akita, Aluana Clarie Obscure, Winky Colonel, Silver Years, Moms Special, Thomas Edison, Vancouver, Tahiti Sunrise, Myrtles Folly, Yellow Passion, American Dawn, Taihejo and Balance. Potting coming up in the next few days. So excited .

My Longfield should arrive any time. Excited to see it even if there are only tubers. I potted up my sprouts yesterday. Updated inventory list. Will set up my table under lights now that they are outgrowing the grow shelves and will start my onions, chives, cauliflour.

Mentor, OH

Received my order from Longfield yesterday. The clumps looked okay but the Vancouvers were the smallest clumps I've seen in a while. It won't matter as long as there is a healthy tuber in the bunch. I bought a bag of what appears to be an Akita mix at the supermarket. They were three for $3.98.

I went to the Walmart a few miles from here yesterday. They had dahlia clumps in bags of four for $9.98. I went specifically to get the Lady Darlenes. I looked a little closer this time and was shocked by what I saw. I believe that every tuber in the store was in questionable condition. Many were very soft and a lot were rotted and moldy. I picked out what I thought was the best bag. I told the cashier and she said she would check. I also told her I would probably be bringing back the bag that I bought. When I got to the car I decided to check then rather than make a return trip later. And just as I thought I was soon headed to the exchange counter. Almost every tuber in the clumps was like squeezing a marshmallow. I would encourage anyone buying from big box stores or anywhere else to look for condensation inside the bags and to feel the tubers for firmness. I'm going to another Walmart tomorrow to see what their dahlias look like.

My Longfield order is on its way. I think you may have mentioned that they are a part of the American Meadows/Park Seed group. At least they seem to be nested in with them in order when I google. I ordered three of their 'pairings'. Two dahlias that complement each other, three of each.

Where the snow is gone I see tiny sprouts on my columbine and the delphiniums that are up against the house. And lots of evergreen stuff coming out of the snow looking good.

Now I'm feeling left out since I never got to Longfield.

I'll check my Lady Darlene tubers now but both the Akita and Vancouver clumps are so small! Lady Darlene has firm tubers - no dampness, no sign of any negatives.

Daffodils here are about 4" tall - too soon for buds. No major growth on the tiny daff's but it just takes a few warm days and they'll bloom. Lots of bearded irises showing they're waking up happily. We're due for 3-4" of rain today so I'm housebound again. More rain tomorrow and we had rain yesterday - it must be spring.

I really want to put my pots of TBI outside as they aren't doing so well in the garage even under lights. Aphids are a big problem. They have moved to the green sprouts on my dahlias. I spray with soapy water which kills the little buggers but they are so prolific.

I have started entering "first growth date" info into my database. It is so interesting to see from year to year (have been doing this since 2009) who pops first. Stuff on the little hillock by the pond has a lot of ever green stuff so that is sort of cheating. But also columbine. Tulips and some iris and a hodgepodge on the west side that I use as a nursery/holding area. Those few feet taller than the rest of the yard makes a huge difference in snow melt. The large rocks in the pond on the west side heat up from the sun and I guess that helps to transfer heat to the little hillock also.

I think I will go knit a bit today at the yarn shop. Finishing up Kyle's sweater (already finished Travis' - he loved it thank heavens). I want to pick up my own lace projects again. Small cashmere cowl with a lace trim. Tricky but I like that as it requires a lot of concentration. A little tired but probably just mental - spring will fix that right up!! :)

Mentor, OH

I'm not sure if Longfield is tied in with a group but they used to sell under the name Langeveld. Longfield is co-owned by several members of the Langeveld family. They are still at the same address. If I'm not mistaken they also used to be a supplier of packaged tubers for some big box stores.

After a few days of temps in the 40's and 50's our temps are dropping like a rock today. It was 37 this morning and is forecast to be around 26 tonight, We're supposed to get 1"- 3" of snow this afternoon and another 3"-5" tonight. When will this #%^$@!& nonsense end? All I have coming up right now are some crocus and they'll be gone as soon as the four-legged rats find them. lol

It's always good to keep busy - time passes so much faster.

More dahlias sprouted downstairs but so many are so lazy. They've been under the lights for almost two months now. I guess a more normal person would just give up.

Oh no! You don't seem too happy to be able to use your shovel again, Dan. Mother Nature is just trying to keep you in good shape.

I've had packages from Langeveld so maybe I'll try Longfield next time.

Snow will end by July 1st - I promise!

Mentor, OH

It's impossible to use "snow" and "happy" in the same sentence unless you like to ski. lol And right now I'm not so sure about the snow ending by July. Guess I'm just impatient.

There's a sledding hill near here that was closed a couple weeks ago. The sign said "closed due to icy conditions". I kind of thought that's what you would want.

I'll try: I bet you'd be happy not to see snow again until December.

Funny line. Reminds me of the home in Southold, set very far back on Main Road. It's loaded with signs and warnings about "No entry", "No trespassing. Trespassers will be prosecuted", and then "Slow...25 MPH". That always makes me laugh.

I went through my tubers and those that looked iffy and have not sprouted I just pitched. I even pitched one or two with sprouts because from the look of the tuber (all wrinkled and yukky ) they wouldn't have produced a healthy plant. A waster of fertilizer and effort. Plus I have enough that sprouted plus new ones coming that it's not like I will be short on dahlias. I should be getting a shipment soon. Hope they have sprouts

You have to be my role model. I'll be brave and go forward and ditch doubtful dahlia duds.

D to to the fourth power....

Definitely.

Here's a smile for you.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROTFL

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

It sounds like our weather patterns are about the same. We did have a good day yesterday, cloudy and in the 50's. It is snowing right now, big flakes. I hope tomorrow will be good. The weather forecast is for rain or snow 6 days out of the next 10.
I got my greenhouse frame up and ready for the glass. It is a 10' x 12' attached to the south side of my little shed. The glass is very heavy, 4' x 5'7" double pane. I have to have help with that part. So far I have been able to get the framing done by myself.
I have been really slow at getting things done this year d/t pneumonia setting in. I haven't been able to work and have been on short term disability for the past 3 weeks. One more week off work and then I believe I can go back. I putter around the yard - very slowly.
My daffodils are in full bloom. The crocus are all but gone and my tulips are showing wonderful greenery with a few red ones blooming. I have wire over the tulips. Those are the only ones that the deer really go for, although they have eaten the tops of the columbine.
My little plastic covered greenhouse stays above 40 degrees and up to 85 degrees, and the dahlias are doing very well. I put a few flats of flowers that I have grown from seed out there also. I must have over 100 hibiscus growing. I gathered the seed last year from my plants and they have really come through. I am going to gather seed this year if anyone wants any. The pictures are from a couple of mine I gathered seed from.
I haven't wanted to pot the other dahlias until the greenhouse is finished, so they will have to wait a few days longer. I saw some large 20 gallon black plastic garbage cans at our local IFA, I will buy 3 or 4 and fill them with water for the larger greenhouse. Hopefully that will help keep it heated at night.
Well, now you know all about me, almost. I hope all your days are filled with sunshine and flowers. Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee Thumbnail by MyRee

Sounds like you are on a roll. And all those hibiscus. Love them but they don't grow up here. Tried some hardy ones but no go, drat. cut my finger for the second time in my food processor. It really has it in for me. Have a large bandaid on it (pointer finger). Makes typing a real adventure

Marie - hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you're all set to get done with the greenhouse and get growing.

Mary - I think you're supposed to keep fingers out of food processors!

It was on the counter, the vicious beast. I swear it struck out at me. My Dad had a hand ax that he called the Devil Ax as every time he used it he cut himself.

Dang those nasty appliances that attack without warning!

My ex cut himself using a saw to remove an errant branch. That ended his gardening "help". Sadly, it was also his first try at helping!

Wyoming, MN

I follow you guys, but I don't grow very many Dahlias. The ones I stored this year are looking good. I have a minimally heated partial basement where I store them. I have purchased some very nice looking tubers from Menards, Lowes and Home Depot already this year. I was not able to find all of the ones you have mentioned but I found several that tempted me. Looking forward to better weather.

Gary

Have fun growing them and please post some photos this year and tell us your experiences with them.

My biggest surprises are always the ones that get around 4' wide, especially when I'm not expecting it to happen.

Hi Minnesota .. one of the states that rivals us fo cold

Wyoming, MN

Yes it's true snow tonite.

Bummer. We run in the teens in the morning, clear blue skies and then it gets up to the upper 30's or 40's during the day. I won't gripe and wish it would go faster or you all will send a hit man after me.

One large section of Long Island (not ours) got 4 to 5" of snow in a very sudden storm today. Can't really say I "missed" it but it was nasty here. Our high was 39 but the normal for this date is 55, which I'd love to experience!

Mentor, OH

The 3" of snow we got Saturday was pretty much gone by Sunday night. We're having rain showers this morning and they're forecast to continue through Saturday. I'm going (hopefully) to Virginia next Tuesday and I'm sure that somehow, someway the bad weather will follow me. Maybe I could rent myself out to an area experiencing drought. When I get back I have to get serious about getting my tubers ready. Most of the ones I ordered should be coming in by then.

Renting yourself out to drought areas sounds interesting and innovative!

Each day that passes makes me happier that I delayed delivery for mid to late April delivery of tubers. Bodacious is downstairs and growing very happily along with some others that are showing growth but nothing as good as Bodacious.

Many tubers downstairs are growing and doing well. More deliveries on the way. It's getting exciting.

Mine are going gangbusters. The two shipments are not popped up yet, well except for the beginning on two. Still have two dahlia shipments, a lily shipment and a peony shipment. I think the peonies will be here in the fall. The garage is full of growing stuff and lots of popped stuff outside.

It's a good time of year when the weather cooperates. This morning many gardens had a layer of sparkling ice crystals - not wanted!

Still an order of lilies coming and quite a few more dahlias.

Mentor, OH

Hi all! Spent all last week in Virginia. I came back Monday and got wet in the rain. I now have a super-duper head cold that has left me in bed for a couple days. Too many cook-outs and dinners cut into our metal detecting time. But I was overjoyed to find a 1905 Barber dime that looks in perfect shape.

I bought some packaged tubers while there. I took one from each bag of four and left the rest for family. They were Pineland Princess and Mom's Special. When I got home my order from Alan Lowes was waiting. The tubers really look super although not all were sprouting yet. I had also received an order of Unwin dahlias from Holland Bulb Farms. They were 15 for $16.99 (free shipping) but a few are really ragged. I went to the huge garden center near here and bought some more packaged tubers, They were 2 for $5.89. I got Lady Darlene and Snow Country. I have several more orders that should be arriving soon. The tubers I stored are sprouting nicely although I have probably tossed 6 or 7 dozen that rotted after I found a "great new cooler spot" in the attic. I always tell people that if your storage methods work, then don't change. Guess I need to practice what I preach.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.