Dahlias: Dahlias 2014 Part 2, 1 by MyRee

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MyRee

In reply to: Dahlias 2014 Part 2

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Dahlias 2014   Part 2
MyRee wrote:
It sounds like our weather patterns are about the same. We did have a good day yesterday, cloudy and in the 50's. It is snowing right now, big flakes. I hope tomorrow will be good. The weather forecast is for rain or snow 6 days out of the next 10.
I got my greenhouse frame up and ready for the glass. It is a 10' x 12' attached to the south side of my little shed. The glass is very heavy, 4' x 5'7" double pane. I have to have help with that part. So far I have been able to get the framing done by myself.
I have been really slow at getting things done this year d/t pneumonia setting in. I haven't been able to work and have been on short term disability for the past 3 weeks. One more week off work and then I believe I can go back. I putter around the yard - very slowly.
My daffodils are in full bloom. The crocus are all but gone and my tulips are showing wonderful greenery with a few red ones blooming. I have wire over the tulips. Those are the only ones that the deer really go for, although they have eaten the tops of the columbine.
My little plastic covered greenhouse stays above 40 degrees and up to 85 degrees, and the dahlias are doing very well. I put a few flats of flowers that I have grown from seed out there also. I must have over 100 hibiscus growing. I gathered the seed last year from my plants and they have really come through. I am going to gather seed this year if anyone wants any. The pictures are from a couple of mine I gathered seed from.
I haven't wanted to pot the other dahlias until the greenhouse is finished, so they will have to wait a few days longer. I saw some large 20 gallon black plastic garbage cans at our local IFA, I will buy 3 or 4 and fill them with water for the larger greenhouse. Hopefully that will help keep it heated at night.
Well, now you know all about me, almost. I hope all your days are filled with sunshine and flowers. Marie