Angelonia Serena

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I collected Angelonia Serena seed. Does anyone know anything about this seed?

1. Is it sterile?

2. The seed I collected is encapsulated in a clear round disc with a yellow seed inside. Is this really the seed?

3. Will it germinate inside the thin clear disc?

or, did I collect something else entirely-like weed seed!! :(

The seed inside the clear disc is about 1/16" oval shape.

Any pertinent info. regarding germination? Directions say surface sow, germinate 1 to 3 weeks.

Thumbnail by birder17
Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

1. ??
2. The yellow seed inside is the 'real' seed. If you put it on your desk, 'feel' it with your fingertip. If you feel something 'thick', the seed is potential viable
3. The clear disc is not a problem, the seeds will germinate if they are viable. Only if you sow in vermiculite, I advise you to remove the clear disc, because it might give mould.

Cover the seeds very thin,or press them a bit in the soil. They are not suitable for winter sowing, they need warm temperatures to germinate (not lower than 70°F)

here is a picture of the seed

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Jonna,
I collected some Angelonia angustifolia white seeds. They were angular and black, and the size your seeds are in your picture only black.

The seeds I have in the above picture are very flat. These seeds I collected from Angelonia Serena purple. The seeds are smaller and Very Flat.

So, I am wondering if the seeds are so different because one is Angustifolia, and one is Serena.

Anyway, you say the cellophane disc doesn't affect germination. I Did press the seeds onto the soil in order for them to make contact with the moist soil. So, I am guessing that will be sufficient for germination.

My quandry is why the seeds look sooo different.

Edited to say: Thank you for giving me the instructions.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2014 7:56 PM

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Birder, your seeds look more like Campsis radicans to me, I call them winged.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Ribin, Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's Campsis radicans, Trumpetcreeper, I don't have any on the property. I looked at some pictures of the C. r., and I think the C.r. are twice as big in diameter, also the celophane disc of these seeds are really round -- the light gold seed inside is oval but the cellophane disc is really round--not winged.

Maybe I should post it on the ID forum.

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Curious, did the Serena ever germinate?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Angelonia forms a (very small) seed pod. Those aren't Angelonia seeds.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

eggs:
So, it forms a seed pod. Well, what's the shape of the seed pod?
How large is the seed pod?
I didn't get any of the purple Angelonia seeds to germinate.
However, I "did" get some volunteers late summer from my window boxes that bloomed before cold temperatures arrived.
I have collected seed from the white angelonia from my window boxes. I plan very soon to sow these in cell pots indoors. Gitagal said they germinate quickly, but are slow to bloom.
My seeds are little gold balls the size of a bb. Are there seeds inside this "bb"? Or,
is that the seed? I thought the "bb" was the seed. I guess I'll smash one and see what happens. I'm going to wait and see if anyone knows first.:)

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

birder, the seed pods are tiny, and the seeds even smaller. There's one in the lower left-hand corner of Jonna's pic, above.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

So, are the seed pods about the size of a bb for a pellet gun? I guess I have seed pods with seeds inside them. Hmm, have more seeds than I thought.
Eggs, have you grown these from seed? What has been your experience?

Fort Worth, TX

waiting for this answer, I put mine in a bag of wet perlite in the fridge with my other "winter sow" seeds about 10 days ago, got them from the plant.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I've grown a lot of plants from seed, but not Angelonia. Most Angelonia are grown from cuttings, except the Serena series. If you know for a fact that's what you have, then go for it. =)
Start them 6-8 weeks before your (average) last frost date. They need light for germination, so don't cover them with anything. I like Angelonia, but when it gets hot here in the summer, they just crap-out. Cutting them back usually brings another, smaller flush of blooms, but they'll never get back that height. Hope they do well for you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.