(darius) Darius Van d'Rhys

She will be deeply missed. I truly enjoyed the time i spent with her at our ORV garden club get to gethers. She was a hoot.
many many gentle thoughts
smiles
sue

(Zone 7a)

Quote from themikesmom :
Melody,

This is Incredibly sad news..not just the Beautiful Appalachian and Blue Ridge mtns but the World as a whole has lost an incredible person and kind, generous, and nice Soul.. when people like Her go away we realize how fortunate we were to have met them and how sad it is for those of us who are left when people of light like Her can no longer be in our lives. Rest in Peace Darius.

Mikesmom - you said it so well - I can't find better words.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Belle, Gita, and Cville - thank you, but I didn't write it, it's lyrics to a song that came to mind. Such a beautiful song, to honor those we have loved and lost, I thought it suitable.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Speedie--- Does it have a title? I would like to print it out...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I miss you Darius....and am richer for having met you. I remember you telling me not to hide in that picture at our round up...LOL! Thanks Ric...for posting that.!
My..how time flies!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I am still having a hard time believing she is gone. I never actually met her, but feel I knew her for years. She was loved by us all, and will be sorely missed.

Concord, NC

BlueSpiral Thank-you for liking my comment, I was going to send you a pm to thank-you for your kind words because I didnt want to make another comment to anyway detract from Darius Memory thread but decided to post this for others to read. We met Darius about a year and a half ago. My son and her talked well over an hour about rocks and minerals and crystals, as she knows all of the old timers in the Blue Ridge Mtns my son has traded with and mined with over the years, including the late Luthur Thomas from Micaville, as Darius used to live in Micaville which is in between Spruce Pine and Burnsville, and Darius was life long friends with Dot Bliss of Matney near Banner Elk, who ran the little Bear rock shop for Decades. Darius also told us how she used to work in the Geological Dept in Maryland and used to catalog many of the Rare Beautiful crystals in the collections of John Hopkins University and The Smithsonian Institution.treasures that most people would only dream of being able to hold and see. She offered for us to come up to see here at her house in VA as she said her house sat up against a Mtn where she said their was a large quartz outcrop at the top she believed their were probably large crystals in that she would have liked to check out herself if she was still young and in good enough health and that she used alot of these quartz boulders and mineral boulders and mica in her rock garden. She said it would be atleast a good half days hike to get to it though and my son is in extremely poor health so we werent sure we would come because I was afraid my son would attempt it and hurt himself which he is notorious for doing, but we should have went went just to have some more time with Darius..

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

This makes me cry. Darius and I had lots of things in common, and she made the best raspberry vinegar and biscotti. We never got the chance to meet in person, but we will meet in heaven when I get there.

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

It makes me happy to know how many people love darius and how many of us truly expected to see her in person!

somewhere, PA

I'm amazed that she was the same age as my mother. She was so much younger in spirit and intellect!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

While Darius told us she had serious health problems, I don't think any of us really thought she wouldn't come out on top. She was always able to do anything. Or at least seemed so.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2014 12:16 PM

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I always enjoyed her posts. She will be missed.
RIP Darius. RIP.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonderful lady ,and great loss. Rest in peace Darius.
Patti

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

So Sad she will be missed. I followed her fixing up her homestead She was always so helpful I have a few PMs from her and hope they stay up forever

God speed my friend

Lavina

Havelock, Canada

I am devastated to read that our dear, dear Darius has passed. She was just about the smartest person I have ever had the privilege to know. I am a loss for words.

Rest well dear lady. You were an inspiration to all of us. You made the world a better place and you were truly loved by so many of us here at DG.

You will forever be in my heart
Love and Hugs
Elaine and Otis

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

This is very sad news! She made me feel welcome on the forums and she was full of amazing information. She cheered me on to find my rabbits, which I finally did 2 days ago. Im so sorry for everyones loss. Her Family are in my thoughts and Prayers!!! Heres a recipe from her that she shared with me...

Elderberries are rich in vitamin C and also contain vitamins A and B, flavonoids, amino acids and carotenoids, they are helpful in treating colds, coughs, flu, asthma, upper respiratory infections, and tonsillitis. They are also used for antioxidant activity, to improve heart health, lower cholesterol, and improve vision.

Other ingredients that make this syrup therapeutic are:
Raw Honey, an alkaline-forming food, antioxidant, antibacterial, and immune builder.

Cinnamon, a natural cough suppressant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory.
Cloves, a powerful germicidal, antiseptic, general stress reliever, blood purifier, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial.

Dosage:
For prevention take 1 tbsp per day (kids 1 tsp per day, because of the honey it is not recommended for infants).
When taking to treat cold or flu symptoms take the standard dosage 3 times a day for 2-3 days

For other natural remedies check cold and flu soothing tea or benefits and uses of coconut oil
http://www.edibleharmony.com/cold-and-flu-soothing-tea-remedy/
http://www.edibleharmony.com/coconut-oil-uses/

Ingredients:
2 cups of water
½ cup of dry elderberries
½ cup of raw honey
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
8 cloves (optional)
In addition to these ingredients, feel free to add ginger, Echinacea and/or golden seal

Preparation:

In a small saucepan combine the elderberries, cloves, cinnamon, and water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to med/low and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the fluids are reduced by half.
Allow the mixture to cool and strain, making sure you squeeze as much juice our of the berries, you can also blend this and run it through a nut milk bag.
Mix in the raw honey and whisk until fully dissolved.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

I use fresh elderberries, and usually omit the cinnamon and cloves, plus I can mine in a water bath.

There are many recipes online but I avoid those steeped in vodka because I give my neighbors a few jars for colds and flu... and they have small children who don't need the exposure to alcohol.

I'll try to post later this week about making wine. Too much on my plate right now.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1349809/#ixzz2wtyTCsJh

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

She seemed to always be one of the first people to welcome others to a forum. She was full of southern hospitality. She would have made a wonderful greeter at Wal-Mart if she had not been opposed to their practices and products. LOL

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie (Defoecat)'posted that Darius' niece had contacted her to let her know that Darius will be cremated and her ashes will be put on her Father's grave. Later this year there will be a Memorial for her and all are welcome to,attend that.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Thank you very much for letting us know Joyce. ♥

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh no, I can't believe this, she was so vital and life loving! I've known Darius for a lot of years from here on Daves and we met in person a few times at RU's. I loved her and even my uninvolved with plants hubby thought she was the best thing possible and would look forward to sitting and talking with her at Ru's!

Thank you Melody for letting us know.. and Joyce, when you find out about the service, will you dmail me?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Please let us know about the arrangements. I still have not seemed to wrap my head around her passing.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

We've all lost a great friend here. She was so knowledgeable about so many things and a very interesting lady! I will truly miss reading her posts.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

When Bonnie lets me know, I will let all of you know. Still so sad at her passing.😢

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Once the arrangements are finalized, if it's anywhere around here, I might go to the burial. Please keep us informed.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure where the ashes are being spread, but the memorial will be at her house in VA.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Her ashes are being buried on her father's lot in Fla, but don't know when or where in Fla.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

we definitely had our moments over the years....she was quite the character. i remember fondly our past phone conversations and am sorry there won't be more. she had a knack for really making a person think.
RIP, darius.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

She was so full of wonderful information and a gracious lady who will be missed.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Has anyone found the picture of darius--looking in the mirror--wine glass in hand?
I believe it was her 50th Birthday.

It is such a classic picture of her.....I know she sent it to me in a Post once--
Wish I knew where....
Is there a way to search for a picture of someone?

Gita

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know of any way, but I'm not very DG tech savvy!

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

I have it saved in some old files but I can not get it to copy. Must try again.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Somebody posted it on the coffee thread shortly after she died.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

It's feeling more Spring-like today and Darius was constantly in my thoughts.
She had so many plans and projects, always thinking ahead to the next ones
and never being distracted from them by her serious health issues. She really
did live each day as it came.

I hope today she is looking down, smiling at the number of people who loved
her, admired her and really miss her. I keep expecting to see a post from her
pop up and then am sad that it won't happen again.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have thought of her very much lately. I still go to her blog nearly everyday and poke around. Of course I learn something new from every post I read.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Country gardeners--

I went to the "Back Porch" forum and looked at every day's "Coffee Break"
all the way to the 27th of March--and never found that picture.

Bummer! It is worth posting as a "memorial shot" to darius.
it is SOO elegant and beautiful....

Keep looking....Gita

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I know which one you are talking about. I remember having seen it a few years back but I don't know which forum it was on.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry, I was thinking the wrong picture, I guess.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Gita - I did the same thing and didn't find it either. But I think I've seen it somewhere.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I know that--sometime a year ago--or so--I sent Darius a D-mail--or just posted it--
and told her how much I liked this picture of her--and she posted it back for me.
I believe that I already had that picture before, or soon after, I joined DG.
If it was taken on her 50th B-Day--that would be some 20 years ago???

I have NO idea what Thread it was on. Maybe it will turn up--somehow.

Gita

somewhere, PA

I poked around looking for it too. I may check the threads she started - perhaps its on one of those?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.