Early bloom of Alleghany Pachysandra

Downingtown, PA

The Japanese Spurge or Pachysandra, P terminalis, is planted like crazy in landscapes in the mid-Atlantic as a common groundcover. A usually unknown relative that is native to the Appalachian Region is the Alleghany Spurge, Pachysandra procumbens. It is a little taller with larger leaves that are semi-evergreen and not so waxy. It bears its little whitish flowers from stalks coming from the ground that bloom in March - April as shown in the first photo. The second photo shows it at my house side foundation in part shade in summer. It makes a good groundcover that is slowly spreading. This cold season it may not bloom in March but wait for April.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Rick, I am really taken with the leaves (pictured below) that have remained evergreen for me. Look forward to the bloom on my one plant. Several people are ordering a flat from North Creek Nursery as part of a group buy we are doing.

Do you grow all of the plants you have contributed pictures of to Plant Files? I have enjoyed your recent posts in the Native Plants Forum and welcome to our Mid Atlantic forum.

Thumbnail by coleup
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for posting , Rick.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice clump of Allegheny Spurge, Rick!

I planted Japanese Spurge in the 1990's and it's taking me a long time to get rid of it all. "Japanese scourge" kept coming to mind as I was removing more this weekend. Mine isn't in a place where it can mount an alien invasion into the wild, but I realized that it is a terrible water hog because the roots have formed a solid mass that is 4 inches deep. It's a wonder my trees and shrubs got any water at all.

I'm glad Coleup is organizing the group buy of P. procumbens from North Creek (thanks Coleup!)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

That is pretty! Guess I should get some of the P. procumbens! :-)

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, Rick! Thanks for sharing!

Downingtown, PA

I bought my one Alleghany Pachysandra at Redbud Native Nursery in Gradyville, PA, in Delaware County back in 2004 or so.

I used to be a part-time horticulture teacher at a junior college in the Chicago area for seven years from 1984 to 1991. I built up a plant slide collection for the class at that time. I have kept taking many plant and landscape photos since. I am still taking photos of horticulture since I have been here in southeast PA for about 12 years. I visit Chicagoland usually for awhile in August and take more there. I have recently taken shots up in central Wisconsin at the headquarters of the Wild Ones Natural Landscapers of their prairie or American meadow landscape of all native species. Some of my photos are plants in my 1/4 acre yard, but most are not. I posted lots of photos on Dave's Garden in the Garden Showcase and the Plant Files sections.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I didn't know much about pachysandra varieties. Very interesting. Now I know if I want to plant any what to look for.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks for contributing to plant files Rick, it's a great resource

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.