FREE PINUS STROBUS!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So I need to get rid of a 9' Pinus Strobus. I will be cutting it down most likely the weekend of 3/22. I am putting this out there in case anyone wants it. It is quite healthy and was planted from a B&B fall of 2010. My wife and I have decided that it's too close to the house and we have no where else in the yard to put it so it must go. If anyone wants it, it must be dug out. I can help of course. Let me know.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What a beautiful tree! Instead of cutting it down this year, why not wait a few years until it really is too big for its spot? Meanwhile, enjoy it. That's what I did with a wild cherry volunteer that I didn't get moved before it became too big to be moved... it stayed near the house for a few more years before i finally took it down this winter.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes that certainly is one way of doing things. However, I've already ordered shrubs for its replacement :) I move fast, once something gets the death nod, it's gone. It will be replaced by two amelanchier alnifolias.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Nice!

NOT procrastinating is much better than my usual way of doing things, LOL.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm sure that was a tough decision for you, Sequoia, but I doubt you'll regret it. Amelanchier alnifolias will be lovely replacements.

Keeping it until it's larger would only make it harder to get rid of, not to mention more expensive. We thought my b-i-l was nuts when he saw the 7 or 8 white pines growing in our backyard back when they were maybe 30 feet tall and said "you should cut those down now before they get bigger". But noooo...we had to wait until they had all the charm of telephone poles, having lost most of their branches, and cost about $1000 each to have cut down and stump ground!

We still have one because it looks okay and is far from the house.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Muddy, I have one of those we have been talking of taking it out for years. It never did have a nice shape but we just kept hoping that it would grow into a nice tree. Then it started to encroach on the road and had to be limbed up only on the road side I kept it long on the yard size to give privacy. Thinking that we would take it down sometime anyway. Last year we limbed it up all around and planted some shade loving bushes around the area. In this last snow storm we lost a couple of really big limbs off of it. It is a pitiful looking thing and we probably won't take it down this summer either. LOL
Oh, when I did limb it up I left the branches stick out a good 2 ft so it could be climbed when we got around to cutting it down as it is so tall that it will need to be topped and lowered down so it doesn't fall on anything. Just makes it all the sadder looking. Come to think of it I am sure that when you come to the fall swap it will still be standing and you can laugh at my folly.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nah, I won't laugh. We got really tired of having to saw up pine branches after every snowfall, but we still kept them. I felt bad for a poor mother squirrel who tried several times to drag her baby back to the nest, which was at the top of a 60-foot pine because the lower branches were gone. She finally gave up and left it under a shrub...but we still kept them. I called my trees the squirrel super highway, and I liked hearing the wind in the pines... right up until one of them fell on our house. After that, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah it was a really tough decision for me to decide to cut it down. My wife didn't want to replace it so rather than make too much a fuss I thought to myself, what could I put in it's place? Then it came to me. So now I'm happy because it has a replacement :) The pine is at the northern corner of a huge garden I made last fall. It's entirely comprised of large shrubs. Shrubs listed:

Photinia villosa
Viburnum plicatum 'summer snowflake'
Syringa Bloomerang
Sophoria davidii
Lagerstroemi Tonto
Viburnum nudum Brandywine
Viburnum nudum Winterthur
Viburnum dilatatum Erie
Viburnum dilatatum Michael Dodge
Amelanchier Alnifolia Northline
Amelanchier Alnifolia Smoky
Hamamelis Intermedia x Arnold's Promise
Azalea 'parade'
Azalea 'Molalla Red'
Azalea 'Lollipop'
Azalea 'Weston's Lemon Drop'
Aronia Arbutifolia Melanocarpa X 2

I didn't think it was that many until I started writing them down! Yikes!

My vision is that it will be a beautiful shrub wall that totally blocks out the one corner of our yard and hides our backyard from the street. There's a rental property on the adjacent side of our cul-de-sac and you never know who you might get in those. Plus a lot of them are berry producers and I love to watch the birds eat them in the fall.

In case you all haven't figured it out by now, I have a 1/4 acre but plant like i have 5 LOL

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

hehe Sequoia, I only have 0.08 acre and I plant like I have a 1/4 acre!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have the opposite problem. I have so much acreage, that it never seems to fill in no matter how many plants and shrubs I add. Over the last three years, I've tried to concentrate most of my efforts on a single area that I call the Hillside Shade Garden. I can't seem to help myself from dabbling in other garden areas though.

Hey Jeff, you should add a Viburnum carlesii in addition to the other Viburnums that you have - smells heavenly when it blooms.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2014 8:44 PM

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Aspen, what variety do you have? Is it easy to take cuttings from? If so, I'd love a few twigs this spring if you don't mind.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Can anyone figure out for me what part of an acre is 65' X 100"?

That is what i have. G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, there are 43,560 square feet in one acre so take the length times the width in feet and divide by that figure to find the number or fraction of an acre.
So, 65' x 100' = 6500 sq ft / 43560 sq ft = ~.15 acre

Karen, the tag on my viburnum carlesii didn't include any other info, so I don't know what particular variety. I'd be more than happy to give you cuttings. I've never done it before, but I can read up on it or one of our knowledgeable experts here on MAG can tell me how to do it. It really does smell wonderful.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

*squeal* yay aspen! thank you thank you!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm looking forward to seeing this Hillside Shade Garden of yours Aspen. I'm sure there will be more viburnums in the future...lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.