Germinating seeds

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

What seeds are good for using the paper towel method to germinate them. I just had success with some hardy hibiscus seeds but wondered what other seeds would work with this method. I am going to try some peeled brugmansia seeds also.

Patricia

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Patricia, Blomma says the Deno method is not good for tiny seeds.

Patricia, Any seeds large enough to handle can be sprouted the Deno way. If hardy perennials, place the zip lock bag in he fridge for 2 or 3 weeks. If annuals, place in room temp, or top of fridge where it is warm.

I got Hibiscus seed to sprout in 2 days with Deno. They were old seeds that I was testing.

( For annuals, skip the fridge and just place the Deno bag at room temp (70F, or higher)

Most hardy perennial seeds require 3 weeks of stratification (moisture with cold temp) to improve germination. That makes the fridge perfect for the next step if sowing hardy perennials.

First, soak the seeds overnight in hand hot water to soften the seed coat and to remove some of the seed germination inhibitor present in the seed, or seed coat.

You can simulate nature using a damp kitchen paper towel. Cut it into ½, then ½ again. You will have 4 squares. Use one for each cultivar. Wet the square, and then squeeze out the excess water. You want the towel damp, not wet. Fold it in half. Place the seeds in the middle and fold one end over the seeds twice. Place this package into a small zip-lock bag (available in Walmart craft dept) with an Id label and zip it closed. Place in fridge for at least 2 to 3 weeks to stratify the seeds. After stratification time, move to room temp to germinate. I usually put the bag on top ot the fridge where it is warm. Check them frequently, and pot up any seeds that sprouted. Seedlings should begin to appear in 2-3 weeks, depending on the cultivar. Tardy seeds can be returned to the fridge for more stratification.

Sprouting time is a genetic factor. At this point, check the seeds every 2nd or 3rd day, starting after the 3rd day. As soon as seeds have formed a radical (tiny roots forming) use a tweezer to grasp the seed casing and transfer to seed flat or pot. Make a hole with a pencil and guide the root into the hole. Plant so the seed is 1/8" below the surface, 1" or more, apart. Be sure to place roots downwards in the hole. If the roots have grown into the paper towel, just tear around the roots and plant it. Do not try to remove the roots from the paper. The paper will eventually rot.

I plant the sprouting seed in a 6-pack, using seedling mix. I like Jiffy mix.It is made with very fine peatmoss and vermiculite. Perfect for tiny roots. Available in Wal-Mart,. The 6-packs are 6, 1” pots that are attached (see photo2). Also available in Walmart with a tray.

If when sprouted, it is difficult to see which is roots, and which is the top. In that case, place the seed on its side and cover. The roots will grow downwards by itself. Do not allow the roots to become too long before planting. The seeds can be planted as soon as germination is seen.

Until the sprouted seeds have broken through the soil, they do not need light. However, once they do, grow them in a sunny window, under light, or place the flat outside in a protected area if weather is warm.

When the seedlings are large enough to handle 2nd pair of leaves, pot them in a 3" pot. I use the 3" foam cups made for coffee. At this stage, seedlings can be potted in any good potting soil. A screwdriver will easily punch drainage holes in foam pots. The cups are cheap to buy at Wal-Mart. Plant outside when all danger of frost is past in your zone. In my zone 4, that is the end of May.

Harden them off before planting out. I place the pots in a large plastic bin with drainage holes and placed on the East side of my garage. I keep the cover ready incase of bad weather. After 1 week of morning sun, they are ready for planting in the garden, or border.

1] Columbine seeds sprouted in kitchen towel and prior to potting those that have sprouted.
2] Heliopsis planted in a 6-pack and growing.
3] Datura (White Moon flower) growing in a 3" foam mug to be planted outside end of May.
4] Sprouted seedlings can be planted in flats also as these had been. I ran out of 6-packs.
5] Seedlings placed in a clear plastic bin on the East side of my garage for mornings sun to be acclimated to weather before planting out. Cover will be used incase of rain.

For tiny or dustlike seeds I sow them in clear plastic container with fine peatmoss that is moistened. Gently pat down the seeds, cover and place in the fridge. Will germinate when brought out to room temp.

If you think about soil in the ground that will germinate seeds no matter how bad the soil is, tells me that it isn't so much the type of potting soil that successfully sprout seeds. The factors are temperature, how the seeds were stored, maturity of the seeds (harvest), and a built-in dormancy factor. All seeds have special needs. If those needs are not met, the seed will not sprout. It is natures way of assuring their survival.

,b>HINT: when a seed package states "need light to germinate" it does not mean it literally. It has been taken out of contex. It simpy means to surface sow (scatter on top) and lightly press seeds don't bury. It is usually stated for small or tiny seeds. Tiny or dustlike seeds would never reach the surface if covered. Larger seeds are usually covered.

Good potting soil is well draining yet holds moisture. It seems to be hard to find lately. Miracle-Gro and other brands have wood pieces in the mix. I swear I think they scrape it of the ground in wooded areas. It works, I have my seedlings in it. I don't like it. I used to mix peatmoss and perlite and add plant food. It makes for a perfect potting mix, also to root cuttings in. It is what commercial nurseries used to ship plants in before the 90's

Watering, place pot in a shallow container with 1" of water. Pour a bit of water on top to begin the syphoning action. Water will be drawn up from the bottom and penetrate the whole root ball.

If the potting soil is too dry, it will shrink away from the sides of the pot. You can figue where the water will run if ony watered from the top---along the sides without penetrating the root ball.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lastly, I will add that seeds that you harvest from your tomatoes, pepper, etc) will not come true from seeds, including flowers also. That is important to know if you want a specific type of tomato. I know this from my own experience. Only flowers that are native or non-hybrids will come true from seed. In other words, those that humans haven't fiddled with will come true.

Each seed that you harvest will produce a brand new and different variety never seen due to many generations of genes that were bred into the parent plant. Iris and daylilies are prime examples of that. It is how all the new and beautiful flowers are produced. They are hybrids.

To avoid disappointment, if you want a certain type of tomatoes, you are better off to get what you want when you purchase seeds from a seed company or store. That goes for green peppers also.
The popular tomato Early Girl is a hybrid.

Good luck and enjoy. Somewhere on Dave you will always get an answer to your questions

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1352182/#ixzz2vFUJnl60

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

WOW Blomma, You really know your stuff! Great info here, thanks! I used to think I knew a lot about this kind of thing til I started reading the posts on DG, lol.
I have been growing things since I was a child, but you are never too old or too "smart" to learn from other experienced gardeners. That is one reason I joined this site. I learn new stuff every day. I love IT!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Blooma, Thank you so much for the great information. I have sowed lots of seeds but that was in Calif. and I am finding it not quite as easy to find the right conditions here in Oregon so thought the paper towel method might enable me to start a some seed earlier.

Has anyone tried sprouting echinacea seed with the deno method? I have tried stratifying the seed and no luck,not a single sprout, but maybe the seed was too old. I was disappointed and didn't try any more. Or another good method?

Thanks girls, it is just me 40+ years of gardening. Glad it helps anyone.

Nanny, I don't see why it shouldn't work for echinacea, which is not an easy plant to get started. Years ago started seeds of it in trays with not much success. That is before I knew of stratification, (cold moist).

Any seeds large enough to handle can be sprouted the Deno way. If hardy perennials, place the zip lock bag in he fridge for 2 or 3 weeks. If annuals, place in room temp, or top of fridge where it is warm.

Echinaceas require a period of cold to germinate when temp is raised. Either use the fridge, or plant in tray, cover and place on the north side of the house or unheated garage or shed. they will sprout come spring. See photo.

Thumbnail by
Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

I just did some Echinacea by putting them in the fridge a la Deno for a month, then took them out of the fridge and left them on the counter. Tiny roots appeared in 3-4 days and I planted them in a widowsill tray. They are growing nicely on the windowsill, as you can see from the picture.

Thumbnail by murkov2

Very nice seedlings, murkov2. What variety are those? I am going to try sprouting some that way. Thanks! That gives me hope!

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

I don't know the variety. They are the usual pinkish ones that I used to have in the garden that were overrun by something else. I had one bloom and these are the seeds from that one flower.

You were lucky to get so many from just one flower, although they do have a lot of seed if you get to them before the birds do. The finches like the seed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Besides the Purple that germinate as in self sow for me , The others so far after being stratified ,
Need about two to four weeks of good moderate temperatures to grow well , including sprouting ,,

I finally got some of the purple coneflower to germinate, no luck with the Pow Wow Wild Berry, or the others. The purple ones self sow as you mentioned, But I was trying to germinate using the Deno method that everyone seems to have such success with. I have have very inconsistent results with the echinacea. I am going to try winter sowing this fall and see what happens. I have several new colors of Echinaceas I want to try from seed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If you do , the white swan blooms first year from seed , seeds best in a cool place to start , even moisture is the tough part for me .
Purple are best fall winter sown under mulch where they grow (for me here )

pow wow wild berry I started too late one fall , none returned , I have not tried again ,,

Inconsistent patterns with Echinacea , but their not difficult , mistakes are mostly mine ,
Cool start
even moisture
Proper hardening off
including constant exposure to a full hot sun .
as said , mistakes I make usually have to do with these

I have a Pow Wow white Echinacea the I may try letting go to seed and see what it does on it's own. Same with the Pow Wow Wild Berry. Some things are better left to Mother Nature, I suppose. Echinacea (Purple Coneflower) is a prolific bloomer here and reseeds all over the place.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes I am a picture hound ,
123 purples that came up last fall , self sow . the cardboard and rock , last falls White Swan , so I can find it ,, yes weeds ,

Pfg the Lupines about half bloomed out now , today

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Thank God for picture hounds. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Every time I pray thanks for living , does that mean I am thanking , being selfish , lol
oh well
Today planted zinnia sprouts , about another four rows , and 1000 zinnia about anyway ,,lol
About 2 dozen Purple Basil
And chamomile burned in the Sun , I had always read it liked full sun , well here it does not, but I have three or four that look okay , but if they fail that is all no more until next years attempt and locating more seeds ,
Experience mistake ...

today an old heirloom Peony

Thumbnail by juhur7

The plants are looking good juhur7. Yeah, I know what you mean about mistakes, lol. I make plenty of them!

Quote from juhur7 :
Every time I pray thanks for living , does that mean I am thanking , being selfish , lol

No, that doesn't mean you're selfish, it means you're grateful...not only is that a triumph, its exactly where you should be!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If those Echinacea seeds we have been talking about here , are commercial seeds . You may want to start a few to see what happens ,
Commercial seeds are often ready to grow , and die during stratification ,

It's an Experience ,,)

White Swan seeds from me , nearly as two sprouted in stratify and were too cold , they died , the others I brought in are growing now , Only a thought ..

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

I had tried sprouting tiny seeds the Deno method before I read this post. I used Poppy seeds and Strawberry foxglove, which were both the same size. I picked up each seed on a finger and put them on top of the damp paper towel about an inch apart and put the them in a plastic sandwich bag with the seeds facing up. I placed them in a warm place ( On my kitchen island over the oven)

After about a week I couldn't see anything happening so I opened the bags and lo and behold, most of the seeds had sent a tiny root into the paper. I cut out each one with the paper towel attached and planted them in seeding mix in a peat pot and they all came up and grew nicely.

So I guess you can do the Deno method on all seeds if you want to take the time. .

Here is an update on the Deno method that I am trying with daylily seeds this year.

Instead of kitchen towels, I place 3 seeds in the small craft plastic bags followed by a tablespoon of moist vermiculite. I worked the seeds into the vermiculite, then zipped it close and store in the fridge for 2 weeks for stratification.

It has worked nicely and I have many that sprouted, now planted in 6-packs under fluorescent light. Seeds can be seen when sprouted. Some are faster than others. That will be my Deno a la vermiculite from now on.

BTW tiny or dust like seeds can be sown in moist peatmoss. If perennials, store the container of peat/seed mix in the fridge to stratify. Cover the container so it stays moist.

Below are 3 daylily seeds in ziplock bag ready to the fridge after I pushed the seeds into the vermiculite.

Thumbnail by

I like this idea! I have had problems with the sprouts growing into the fibers of the paper towel making them hard to remove to plant. This would eliminate that issue, I believe. Thanks for sharing, Blomma.

Natick, MA

Nice Idea, Blomma,
Thanks for the update!

Great idea!!! Thanks Blomma.

You are all welcome.

BTW you don't have to stick with 3 seeds /bag. It serves my need since i plant them in 6-packs when they sprout. You can fill the bag with vermiculite and sink as many seeds in as it will take.

Nanny23 Next time if you decide to use paper towel. Just trim around the roots that has grown into the towel and plant both. It will prevent breaking those tiny and delicate roots. The towel will rot fast enough and leave the roots intact.

I did do that, but it is delicate work, lol. I like the idea of not having to do that if at all possible. I have planted sprouts, paper towel and all. What size bags are you using?

Nanny23, I use size 2" x 3" zip lock from the craft dept. in Walmart. See my photo above. If you had problem handling them without breaking roots, then you waited too long to plant the seeds.

1] Too long to plant easily.
2] The right size of the roots to plant easy. Actually, I plant even before that. As long as I see a white nub on one side, which is the root breaking through the seed cover, I plant.

After I plant I use QUICK-START which is a hormone to help roots establish quickly. I use that on everything and when I plant outside in the garden/nursery.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

You are probably right about waiting too long to plant the seeds, lol. Sometimes Life gets in the way. But I will try your method and see how it works for me. Thank You!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Coffee filters seem to resist roots better than paper towels.

II may give the coffee filters a try too. Thanks Rick!

Quote from RickCorey_WA :
Coffee filters seem to resist roots better than paper towels.

They don't absorb or hold moisture compared to kithen towels and vermiculite.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I usually start seeds on coffee filters on the bottom of nestable glass bowls. They nest loosely enough to let air in, and tight enough that the coffee filters don't dry out.

Of course I do add a little water after a few days if there is much evaporation.

The seeds seem to get enough moisture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.