Daily Bird Pictures VOL. 456

(Zone 5a)

Nanny,

That is a White-crowned with what looks like a female house sparrow. You cannot tell apart male and female in most native North American sparrows. These two just happened to be feeding together. :)

And congratulations on the Pileated! That is an amazing woodpecker we doubt we'll ever have in our yard, unless in passing.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Very surprising to see the White-crowned this time of here since it is one of our "winter" birds. But thanks for IDing the bird with it. I knew the males and females look alike, just wasn't thinking there about it being a house sparrow!

I feel very blessed that the Pileated is a regular here. :)

Thumbnail by nanny_56
South Hamilton, MA

yes. we have not seen a pliated lately.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pretty cool!

Though not unusual like the Pileated, we had the pleasure this winter of an extended visit from a pair of Flickers. We normally only see Flickers once or twice a year for no more than a day. This pair hung around for about two or three weeks and often I'd see them feeding together or at two separate suet feeders.

Most of those pics are on the old computer so this is the only one I have available right now.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We have Flickers all the time here and love seeing an hearing them. They do not come to the yard as often as the used too. I think maybe because of the dog. I finally saw and heard an Indigo Bunting early this morning!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ooh, nanny, how lucky you are!

I absolutely love Indigo Buntings and usually their visits here are fleeting. One year we had a male that decided he liked coming to one of the nyger feeders and hung around for a while, but that's rare.

We live right near a river and lots of natural protected land. I have a feeling they probably spend most of the spring and summer in some of those areas.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice pics, everyone! As this thread is getting rather long now, a volunteer to start Vol. 457, please!

Resin

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

We went to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1360221/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.