Anyone working with Orbs?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I got a couple of these cute orbs in different sizes. Put this one together today with gasteria, Kiwi and sedum?

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Made this one today for our daughter who lives at the beach and is getting a Bernese Mt. dog puppy tomorrow.

You can see more of my minis here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151186805184021.450735.365677824020&type=3

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Those are way too cute!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks, more on the way

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Fun!!

Bethany, OK

I see that this is an old thread (sorry) but I just found it since I would consider this stuff to be under "Terrariums". I didn't realize until I looked just how tiny "Tiny" meant! Haighr- I really like your orbs! Especially the one with the puppy, it is great for dog lovers. Generally I don't care for "fake" decor items, but it is fun and I am a sucker for dogs! Here are a couple of my orbs. I LOVE them and want to get a dozen or so more to hang in my sunroom! Speaking of mine, how do you keep yours from getting spotty? I was misting my air plant that was in one, but it gets the glass all spotty. I took it out because of that and have decided to stop misting the moss in the others because of it. Unfortunately, I took the pics before wiping them clean. But here they are anyway. One has jewel orchid (Anoectochilus reinwardtii) and some moss, the other was when I had the Tillandsia in one. I also have a Sempervivum arachnoideum in one but cant' find the pic.

p.s.
To the OP- I realized after posting that I am essentially highjacking, I really only meant for a dialogue about orbs, sorry to hijack! On the bright side, my orbs do make yours look all the more fantastic! /:)

This message was edited Jul 21, 2014 12:08 AM

Thumbnail by LupineNight Thumbnail by LupineNight
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Morning, no worry about "hijacking" lol that is what the thread is for. Nice job with your orbs, never worked with the air plants but looks neat.
I don't mist mine, I use a spoon and just put a bit of water around the plants that way. Succulents don't really like misting.
I have made and sold several. Some beachy scenes which are really nice.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr

Haighr,, here is a link for un drilled gemstones you can use in your creations. Very good prices and low shipping too!!

They will make your creations look stunning. Hope you do not mind me posting this. ;)

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/gemstone?keywords=undrilled&itemsperpage=100&sortby=pricelowtohigh&i=3

Also where do you get your orbs?? They are lovely!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2014 12:01 PM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link, I often use FireMountain for my stuff didn't realize they had them undrilled!

Oh,, good,, I did not want to over step. Can you tell me where you get your orbs?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I got them online thru Amazon. No garden shop around sells them empty near here.

Bethany, OK

FWIW, you (both) may want to look at these guys:
http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Decorative-Terrariums_c_144.html
they have a wide variety of them, decent prices and they have some very neat plants.

Thanks!! I just ordered way to many...lol

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

so tiny! so cute. Wonderful little works of art.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you very much.

Rohnert Park, CA

What exactly do you put in the orbs? Like could you possibly give me a list of ingredients? My aunt gave me one of these that had a beginner kit in it, but I moved and the ingredients got old before I could put them in the orb but I still tried but everything died.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The solid depends on your plant choice. I have had the best luck using succulent plants In a mixture of potting mix and perlite. Have fun. I usually just use 1-3 small succulents then stone, sand or driftwood accents. Oth any small item of preference. I made one with a beach scene and used a tiny treasure chest of jewels. Have fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.