Have peach tree borers

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Is it too late for these young trees. We sprayed them constantly w fruitilome spray last year. Still got borers.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Are you sure they are borrers or could it be bacterial canker?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well I'm not sure. How do I find out and how do I fix it.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Peach tree borers tend to be from just under the soil up about 10 to 12 inches on the main trunk. If it is borers usually you can find frass mixed with the gummy oozing. Borer holes tend to be smaller and more rounded. Can kill borers with a toothpick or paperclip by shoving it in the hole. Also with insecticides.

If its gumosis caused by bacterial canker this is more tricky. Copper Can be applied in the fall and again in the spring. Cankered areas can be removed by pruning. Make sure to sterilize pruners.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ok, thanks I'll get some.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

do you know how often I need to spray for this? I've read a little on the internet about cankers and it says to cut them out. do I have to do that? I wonder if it's already too late for this young peach tree. my apples have it also. I sprayed them too.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

I spray my trees in the spring and fall and that seems to keep the dosease in check. I did have to remove a sweet cherry tree. But I replanted and have sprayed with copper in spring prior to bloom and again in fall prior to leaf drop and my new sweet cherry tree looks good.

How does the growth of the tree look? Do you have branches dying?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No, the trees look so much better now. I feel confident, that it has helped tremendously. thank you so much. will spray again in the fall. no new growth with the disease.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.