Double whammy: Plum Curculio and Brown Rot

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

What’s your spray program on stone fruits to k.o. these two bad boys?

We have about a dozen trees production age–peach, nectarine, and plum–with young coming on.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

You want to target plum curculios right at petal fall in stone fruits. There are a number of insecticides available.

For brown rot there are two timings. The initial infection occurs during flowering so the application of a fungicide at full bloom would be important as well as an application about 10-14 days prior to harvest.

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

I thank you for responding.

I spray with Imidan (phosmet) to control insects and Captan to control brown rot and scab.

I might be waiting too late at petal fall to apply the Imidan. Nearly all the petals have already fallen, but there will be some stragglers. I am concerned for the many honey bees with which we have been blessed for the past years (knock, knock). I don’t see bees on the stragglers, but I don’t bird dog it.

Once the pears come full bloom, they quit the stones and go to the pears. They prefer a very large and very old–bumping a hundred–pear tree. On certain days, there are so many I can hear the dull buzz. This is when I usually spray the stones, but they are usually already into shuck split.

PLANT BUGS, Lygus spp.
These are the cat-facing culprits, I read. I also read that they are in peaches during the “pink bud stage”. Is it safe, beewise, to spray Imidan at this stage?

I want to be wise and eat pretty peaches. You or anyone else, please educate me, Doctor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.