Rose buds in February?

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm new to gardening so please excuse this question if it's stupid.

I had my mom's roses pruned at the end of January. The gardener did what I would call a medium pruning. There were only one or two leaves left after he finished.

Now all of the roses are full of new leaves with new rose buds that look like they will open in the next few weeks.

After the pruning I put Ortho Advanced on each of the roses. Did I do this too soon and will these early buds mean I won't have roses later this year?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Welcome to another wacko So. Calif. "winter" !
I pruned mine right after Xmas, and like yours, they've all completely leafed out and have loads of buds on them...about 5 weeks early.
Unless the roses you have are "once a year bloomers" it won't affect successive bloom cycles.

You didn't mention what types of roses you have...are they Hybrid Teas, Floribunda's, Grandifloras, etc ??? Most of those bloom in 6 to 8 week cycles or "flushes".

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I pruned the few I have in Jan. and they have all leafed out too. Don't know what mine are, but they are pretty. LOL I do have a peace rose that was given to me and I really love that one. I can't keep names of any plants in my mind so I just go for what I like.

JasperDale, I'm looking forward to my 3rd year of sweet peas on that old fence I got from you. It really came in handy.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Great ! You should go on our garden tour in May.
I'll start a new thread about it once our website is up and running.

I've been cutting off all the buds on my roses because I don't want them blooming now and be in-between bloom cycles for our tour.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Sounds like a great idea, garden tour. DH has been doing chemo for almost a year now so never know how he is feeling. I'll be watching for your new thread. I'm hoping the chemo will keep the cancer in check. Won't be doing much gardening this year because of the drought, but I've plenty of potted plants to keep me going.

Thanks for the responses. My mom doesn't remember the names of her roses. They're about 30 to 35 years old. They're Floribunda's and Grandifloras. They usually bloom closer to the end of May through December.

My mom suffers from spinal stenosis and can't garden any more so I'm trying to take over. It's a long learning process. She tells me that since I started caring for her yard last May that everything is blooming out of season.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

It's just our lack of winter this year. Everything in my garden is confused. According to what I've read, you start feeding your roses as soon as the leaves turn green. I pruned mine in mid Jan. and the leaves are still red.

OCCAROL, you're right about my early feeding. I did it because I read somewhere that doing so reduces the chances of rust and mildew which has always been a problem for my mom these rose bushes are so old.

Vista, CA

I pruned my one rose bush before Christmas and it bloomed 2 or 3 weeks ago, Camellias have blossomed with lots more buds ready to bloom, Statice is covered with blooms, even blossome already on early Peach tree, and a few on Nasturtiums and Cosmos, Very hot and dry down here inland from Oceanside;

Just hoping we do not have a late frost like last year;

Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.