hollow tomato?

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

A friend of mine showed me some pics of a type of tomato he grew a few years ago. On the outside, it looked like a regular "garden variety" tomato (like a better boy) but on the inside it was hollow like a bell pepper. The walls of the tomato were very thick so he got alot of "meat" from the tomatoes but didn't get all the goo. it appeared in the pics like there were some seeds at the top under the stem (again much like a bell pepper) but no thick goo or seeds in the middle like an average tomato. He had no idea where he had bought these seeds or what the name of the tomato was. Does anyone happen to know what type of tomato this is? Or where I can buy the seeds? He gave me some seeds that he thought might be from 1 of the tomatoes, but I'd really like to know the name & get some additional seeds from a reputable source, just to be sure.Thanks guys.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks FarmerDill!! I just ordered them from Victory Seeds & I'm so excited! This is my 2nd year growing tomatoes & last year I just bought some packets at my local home depot. This year I started researching different types of tomatoes that should do ok where I live so I can try several different variaties. I'd never heard of these tomatoes so when my friend told me about them I had to try them out. Thank you so much.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

brownthumb78, have fun with them! I've grown them in the past and they are pretty easy going tomatoes.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I've grown several of the hollow ones,used for stuffing them with whatever, usually for me tuna salad, but the walls are very thick and somewhat fibrous, which is why I always preferred to use just a regular tomato and just scoop out the insides..

But if using then with a stuffing that needs cooking them, thus baking them, that works better. But I always preferred making a salad and stuffing them with something that didn't need cooking.

Just me own opinion about the hollow ones, so I hope there's feedback here from others who are trying the hollow ones, and perhaps even using a regular tomato for comparison.

Carolyn

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, they do seem to be designed for cooking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.