Obsessed!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Virginia- Theyre the best arent they!? lol I kind of looked at my post and hoped someone got what I was saying. :) Works awesome for loose foliage from fall!

DH came home looked at the Tet Collection and started laughing, he said I could get the "Dianna gossard" Collection, It was my turn to laugh. I dont even know if he knew what they were, but I love him. Hope hes still happy after I give him the Hunny-do List for this spring lol.

Sam popped over, sent him home with the DG website and OakHills. The seed IS planted ;)

Ill share my newly acquired babies in a couple days ;)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, Thank goodness the cat is a good boy and doesn't potty in my beds. He's friends with my female Pekingese. They like to lay around together. He's to lazy to cause anybody problems.
I feed my squirrel's at the back of my yard away from my bird feeders. They only raid my bird feeders if their feeder is dry. They dig in the farmers fields more than my garden beds. I have a all white one. It's smaller than the normal squirrel's.
There is nothing wrong with single fans. They are just not for me. I have to split many of my plants with my son. It wouldn't work out if I only had one fan. Yes, my son is on his way to addiction. Lol

Amanda, Dianne Gossard breeds nice doubles. I would be happy with her collection. Lol
Hope Sam joins us here on Dave's.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

@badcat,
Money well spent, I would say! I will look forward to seeing your new babies. :)

@taylordaylily
It just makes the bed undesirable because of the smell, it doesn't really hurt any animals. It is a great fertilizer, I buy it for the hostas and daylilies along with alfalfa. The plants just love it!
That is great that your son likes daylilies! There do not seem to be any gardeners in my family or neighborhood. I do get lonely for gardener conversation so here I am.
Sounds like an albino squirrel, I saw one on the internet one time.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, I didn't have gardener's in my family either. I had to make one. Lol Glad you came here to chat with us and share pictures. We enjoy your company and your taste. Lol
Mike clued me in on alpha last year. He's good about helping out with handy tips.
I'm going to get me some Milorganite and try it.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

@taylordaylily...Thank you very much! I always enjoy talking about gardening, especially daylilies. Glad Mike told you about the alfa. The milorganite and alfalfa pellets are pretty cheap, about $13.00 for 40lbs. :)

@badcat, I have a honey-do list also. Don't give him the whole list at one time, saves you the trouble of picking him up when he passes out. LOL.

Quote from badcat :
know how we got on the subject of critters but I thought of you Taylor LOL. Here are things they use for Deer/Rabbits
1-Dried Blood, avail at Garden Centers
2-Milorganite
3- Big Cat Dung from the Zoo
4- Fishing Line, uses this around the perimeter to steer them away.

She swears by the 1st 3 to keep the plants from getting munched, 4th is more of a deterrent. Her neighbors cows get out too. ;) She was very interesting and full of info. Going through the pages on the site and adding to "The List" :)

I always figured lion dung would work. No zoo here but there is one in Nebraska where I used to live.

What is Milorganite
It is sold as a fertilizer product manufactured from treated sewage sludge (also known as “biosolids”) from wastewater treatment plants from the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District. It is marketed for turf, ornamentals, shrubs, and the home garden. Sewage sludges are a semi-solid residue of organic matter generated as a byproduct of wastewater treatment. Much of the nitrogen, phosphorus and organic matter in the wastewater ends up in the sewage sludge, providing fertilizer value. However many of the contaminants and pathogens that enter the wastewater treatment plants from homes, businesses and industry also end up in the sludges.

How is Milorganite made?
Following wastewater treatment processes, excess water is removed by treating it with polymers and squeezing it in a filter press. It is then heated, dried and made into small granules. This heating kills viral and bacterial pathogens. The product is a heat dried pellet and not compost.

If ordered online, it gets expensive. Ebay sells it with $32 shipping.

http://onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/makingmilorganite.html?viewall=1

This message was edited Mar 15, 2014 6:21 PM

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Blooma, Thank You! Great information!

West St. Paul, MN

I looked for it a number of years ago, but was unable to find any in my area. Thank you for the info. blomma. I don't believe I would use it, now that I know about all the extra chemicals used to process it. No, I'm not a completely "go green" person, BUT I never knowingly by Monsato. :)

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I missed that part, what are "all the extra chemicals used to process it" ?

West St. Paul, MN

Seedfork: read blomma's response from 2:42 AM. there is the answer.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, you ladies are something else

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

What did I do? Lol

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

It is considered organic and it is approved by the FDA for use on food crops. Has been for a long time.

Quote from taylordaylily :
Blooma, Look at you tempting me with your beautiful stripped seedling. I need to test that one in my garden for you. Lol I could give you zone 6 feedback. Lol
I can't wait to see your Iris seedlings bloom this spring! Hope you share pictures with us!

Nope, no deal.LOL

taylor, if you are interested in seeds, get a cross that has Get Jiggy as one of the parents. I bought Get Jiggy on LA last year for $25 so now have my own striped parent.

Yes, I will post the iris seedlings when they bloom but not on this thread.

I am in an enabling mood. Here is Mark Carpenters The Lily Farm

http://lilyfarm.com/

I forgot to add that for the first time buyer who purchase $50 worth of DL will receive $50 worth of additonal DL free. Hm.....

This message was edited Mar 15, 2014 6:36 PM

West St. Paul, MN

I had just started a collection of Josie Bomar daylilies before I had to move and lost most of my cultivars. I did have a few Carpenter's such as 'Forever Redeemed' which did well for me, but it was a dormant. So, yes, beware the Lily Farm. LOL! I'm a fool for a full flowered beauty, but, my interest is in breeding UFO's so I try to stick to tet and dip UFOs.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Day 1..Confined to quarters. The 2 little humans on board are growing restless. They have started making strange pictures around. I think they are planning mutiny. They brought 2 4 legged creatures with them, one keeps chewing on me. Im afraid. Just checking in on this box with buttons. Looking at the strange colored sentences on here gives me hope confinement will end soon. Im heading to a cave near by after swabbing the decks. There are a lot of plants growing inside, strange, I tend them when we are confined.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Badcat, it will get better soon. The freezing rain will be over in no time and you will be back in the seventies again. LOL!! Stop acting STRANGE!! You are scaring us!! LOL!!
Cataddict, good luck on your uf endevors.
Taylordaylily, I don't have to explain. LOL! We men do the same thing to our wifes. It's just the reverse of what you do. HA HA !!

A little pic-me-upper Lighter Than Air

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Blooma, I was looking to test your seedling. Lol Just kidding! I have so many daylily seeds that I haven't even had a chance to start. I don't need more. Lol
Get Jiggy is a real nice one. Maybe next year.
Keep enabling us. I like the eye candy! Lol

Badcat, Lol It will be alright. Give those little humans hugs and kisses and they will make you smile. The 4 legged creatures love food. Lol

Mike, We know what you guys do! Lol

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

LOL Im all good! Just needed something funny to start this day out ;) The freezing rain Mike sent down turned to white stuff!!! After answering the question "Can we go outside today?" aprox 13 times before 7am, I gave up answering LOL My little humans are content sitting with the Captain....for the moment. ;) (Translation: Weather isnt good, kids running around with crayons, puppy is chewing on me, checked everyones links, cleaned house, and went to the basement to take care of plants)

Blomma...your a naughty woman! I think you posted that on purpose! LOL....yep Iv been looking through it ;)

Milorganite...yes Im going to get some. I have wild rabbits around and the moles are terrible! Going to pack some of their tunnels with it to see if it works. I love going to menards Mike, 11 % rebate going on now!

Mike..I hope I scared ya! Keep this weather up by you! LOL I like that bloom.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Keep an update on the mole situation, I have never seen them so bad as this year! If it works I have two bags of Milorganite in the shed, just trying it this year for the first time. It would be great if it deters the deer also! I wonder how it effects armadillos?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Armadillo's are much worse than any of our problems. I have seen what they can do. God love you. Good Luck! I'll let you know if it works for chipmunks.
Juicy Fruit gum works on moles. I got rid of 2 last year with it. You have to use rubber gloves to cover your sent. Take a piece of gum roll it up and place in tunnel. The important thing to remember is to reseal the tunnel so that no air or light will enter. They will not return to a tunnel if they sense it has been disturbed. They eat the gum but, cannot pass the gum.
Sorry, I don't have any tips for the Armadillo. I wish you luck!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Badcat, I saw that 11%. Not impressed with 11% compare to regular sale prices. If I didn't have to mail receipts in to get their in store credit it wouldn't be sooooo badddd. Unless you are buying a big ticket item it is a waste of time. I will wait for better deals. Next Sunday I am going with a friend to check out Alsip Nursery spring open house in Tinley Park, IL. I might get lucky there. Looking for worm castings to ammend soil this spring. Already won three rose plants on "ATP" that are coming in early May. You are never toooo old to win something. I am living proof! LOL! Seen one of those moles around here a couple years ago feeding on some hostas roots. Have to add that he didn't get far. Ha Ha!! I still have digging going on even with Milorganite. I suspect Opossums and the tree rats. Saw some deers late last year. Might have something to do with the Coyotes that I didn't see them during the growing season.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Seed, Il let you know but I think yours might be active before mine ;). Tried the gum on them, traps, poison, waiting for them with a shovel, even stuck my garden hose in there tunnels and left it on LOL. Got 2 with the shovel and I still had more. I put some grub killer on the yard last summer, so hopefully thatll help. Armadillos..thats no good, seen pics of what they do :(.

That'll be fun, let us know how it is! Menards had worm castings if you dont find any there.

Iv been waiting all week for LA last night LOL I got some good deals :) and came out at budget. DH is good for mothers day and my birthday. YAY Im excited to get them next month!!! Was like watching a "real life" TV show lol, Just going to say..Beware of Karen! hahaha Heres my new babies:

EDGE OF ACCLAIM (Carr 2001)
FACE OF THE STARS (Lambertson 2001)
WILD IRISH ( Gaskins 2005)
JAWS OF LIFE ( Gossard 2003)
RESTORES MY SOUL ( Gaskins 2002)
BOURBON STREET (Petit 2004)
BAS RELIEF ( Stamile 1999)
POPCORN PETE (Petit 2003)
CALCULATED AMBIGUITY (Hanson, C. 1999)
HEAD TURNER (Morss 2003)
TAL OF GASCONE (Gaskins 2009)
ON LOOKS ALONE (Carr 2000)
FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN (Harding 1993)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Lol Don't give away my secrets! Lol

Why not use a mole trap. I saw it being used years ago. First you find a fesh tunnel that is used. Then push the trap down on that tunnel. It will kill the mole as it triggers the trap (like a mousetrap) when the mole tries to go through.

I have a killer heart when it comes to something hurting my plants. LOL!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2014 12:29 PM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Ok, so what do ya'll suggest for gophers? My dog is digging tunnels across my back yard making it a danger zone to walk across, but still no dead gophers. Tried exlax in the tunnels last year because I was told that would get them, but i still have fresh mounds in my yard! :( I hate those little critters!! One morning last summer I looked out my bedroom window and he was peeping up out of a hole right outside my window seemingly looking RIGHT at me......... made me want to get the shotgun after him but I knew he would be gone and out of sight before I could even retrieve it. :(

Now I guess I am off to visit the lilyfarm....... I think maybe ignorance was bliss when it came to all the websites...........my want list is a mile long now!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Badcat, You got yourself some nice daylilies. I have Pop Corn Pete somewhere but It did not bloom last year. Scratching my head!

Gen, here is my suggestion for gophers----traps. Here is the link. Even ebay sells them.

Darn it won't take a link. Ok Google "gopher traps for sale". It will come up with a lot of info. Watch the move on Your Tube how to set the traps.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2014 5:48 PM

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Never heard of this product but I did find it interesting that it is suppose to deter moles, gophers plus Armadillos!!! Anyone out there ever use castor oil granules?

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/no-more-gophers-or-moles/index.html

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, The gopher is mocking you! Lol My chipmunk mocks me all the time. Lol He don't know it yet but, his days are numbered! It can't hurt to try the castor oil pellets. Check with your local agricultural extension about it. They can be a great resource. I'm not sure about the traps being out when your fog is out. That might be bad. I don't really know. I have never used the traps. I've never had a gopher before. I had a vole but, it committed suicide in my pond. Lol It really did fall or jump in and drown. Maybe you need a pond. Lol

Seedfork, It sounds plausible to me. I would check with your local agricultural extension and see what they think. They might have many tips for you.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Badcat, I agree with Susan. You got some nice ones coming.
You are going to love Forestlake Ragamuffin

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
West St. Paul, MN

Mike: I tend to think of 'Forestlake Ragamuffin' as "Big Daddy" because of it's way-successful progeny. LOL! Boy! Did it change the direction of daylilies!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Ty!!! Very excited to see them bloom! :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Don't forget....we like pictures!! LOL.

Quote from taylordaylily :
........ I'm not sure about the traps being out when your fog is out. That might be bad. I don't really know. I have never used the traps. I've never had a gopher before. I had a vole but, it committed suicide in my pond. Lol It really did fall or jump in and drown. Maybe you need a pond. Lol

The traps is placed along the tunnel. Then the hole is covered. They get caught when they try to go over the trap.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Blooma, I know but, her dog digs in the tunnels chasing after the gopher. That is what I'm unsure of. I don't know if the dog would get it's paw in the trap or if it's possible. I have never used that type of trap before. I have only used a cat trap. The only thing I caught was my female dog. Lol

taylordaylily, I see what you mean.

Two photos of my Forestlake Ragamuffin with her first bloom after purchase, and Alexa Kathryn. Will breed her with Alexa Kathryn, and Darla Anita if she blooms this year.

Darla Anita is the daddy to Alexa Kathryn.

I have saved pollen from both F. Ragamuffin and A. Kathryn to use incase....

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Lily, That should produce some real beauty's! I would cross FR x DA even if it has been done. You could get very different kids. Love your pictures! You have some of the best FR pictures I have seen. Also like your new copyright. Thumbs up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.