Obsessed!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

One of the things I do during the winter is go through daylily websites and add the ones I really like to my wishlist. I'm just wondering if anyone else here is as obsessive about this as I am. When I see ones I like, not only will I add the name to my wishlist, but I'll also add all the stats and description as well. Before adding it I will search out the databases and google for more pics, just to be sure I really want it. When I'm on the databases, I will also check out all of each daylilies progeny of the ones I like, and then I'll have more to add to my list. I spend hours doing this. Yes, I'm quite obsessed

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Hi there. I'm a wee bit obsessive as well. I visit my favorite sites and make a word document for each supplier listing all of the specs of the varieties I am interested in and include a picture or two. Unfortunately I have a small space, relative to those on here, so only have room for a few and I live in fairly harsh conditions so am limited there as well. I tend to stick with award-winning varieties with hope that I am saving myself some time and money, though it doesn't seem like it.

(Zone 7a)

I've recently become aware of the vast variety of daylilies. I knew there were thousands but didn't know it was TENS of thousands. I just spent hours browsing through them.

Anywhere special you buy yours? I have a few...Lady Elizabeth, Kwanso, Crossfire, Absolute Treasure, Lemonn Vista, Catalina, American Revolution, Quiet Whisper, Spanish Glow and one other whose name eludes me.

I've become obsessed with spiders, eyed and edged.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen and Kwanjin, it has been a long time. Like "Taylordaylily" you all are coming out of hibernation. LOL!!! Karen, I do the same also. I got several coming so far. Namely,
Tusk
Breakfast With Santa
Red Bull
Groom Lake
Snow White Dove
Mary Alice Stokes
All American Chief
My Cup Overflows
Kaleidoscope Jungle Cat x My Cup Overflows

Mike

(Zone 7a)

I've been looking on the LA and thought about getting some crosses. I'm willing to try a couple of unbloomed ones just for the surprise!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, I'm not out of hibernation yet. Lol

My DH is going to be loosing his job in April. His company is sending almost all of their jobs to India. So, my spring buying has been cut a lot. I have to behave myself and that is not easy for me. Lol I have ordered a few late bloomers.
Last Lama
Witch's Stick
Winds Of Love
Willie lyles
Bonibrea Whiligig not a late but I had to have it

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, I am so sorry to hear about your DH loosing his job due to overseas outsourcing. I pray that he will find another soon. Like your list of the "lates".
Kwanjin, I have a lot of 2013 seeds if you want to try something new !!!!

Mike

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, Thank You! I'm praying everyday for things to work out.
Thanks! I needed to add to late bloomers.
I have 15 dl seeds sprouted and just put 15 more in fridge tucked in a moist paper towel 2 days ago. I'm going to do some more in a few weeks. I have some Heavenly Spider Monkey x Pink Super Spider seeds that are sprouted and a few left that I need to sprout. The others are just one's I crossed. The one's in the fridge are a cross from Flutterbye x Double Dream.
I hope to see some blooms on the dl's I started last year. I know it may take till next year. I'm still hopeful.

Kwanjin, You should try your hand at dl seeds. If I can grow them then anybody can. lol They are very easy. The hardest part is waiting to see it bloom. Then the next hardest part is finding room for all them.

Karen, Are you growing any seeds this year? I'm hoping me and you will have some blooms from our seeds last year. My hopes are not to high with this brutal winter we have had. My babies are covered, still worry about them. Can't wait for spring to see everything popping up. We're almost there.

Kwanjin,
Be careful of Kwanso. I have heard that it is one of those daylilies that is invasive underground. That is the reason I don't have it, thought I love the color.

Karen,
I made the mistake of going to LA for seeds and now in hook for:

(Indian Giver x LBB02) x (Smoke ScreamxBarn Owl)
Hotter Than The 4th Of July x One Hot Mama
Angel Rodgers x Jerrys Whirligig
Patricia Snider Memorial x Kaleidoscopic Intrigue
Pendergriff Lavender Gingham x Baby Blue Eyes
Bass Gibson x HeMan Paid $14.49, but had to have it for the teeth. I should have stopped here.
Incendiary x Get Jiggy
Bob Faulkner sdlng 43 x Believing In Design
Catch A Falling Star x Turtle Tails Little Crabby x Isabelle Rose (waiting to end, it can stay at $4)

All but the Bass Gibson were $4.00. It sold higher last time it was listed and I have been trying to win it and not go broke.

I never sow all at one time for lack of room. Usually 3 at a time for each cultivar cross.

So who is addicted/obsessed? Not me, LOL!!

Same seller. I have bought from him several times. He is Mthrnatur,
Others I have purchased from over the years are Gramps, Lighthousegal (Hemlady), Lily,

My earliest bloom on DL from seeds were 14 months. Others took 2-3 years to bloom without a lot of horse manure. I give credit to rotted horse manure that I dug in prior to transplanting. No other explanation. My daughter have 6 horses so I get unlimited amounts.

The iris seedlings growing next to them also bloomed at the same age. They too got horse manure.

Thumbnail by
(Zone 7a)

I would love to start seeds! I will dmail you, Mike.

So sorry about your DL, too! I lost mine in 2008 but bounced back. I work in a movie theater now and love it. What kind of work did he do?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Blooma,
I have some Kwanso and it does spread under ground. It will pop up 3 feet away from the mother plant. It makes a good ditch plant. I would never want it in with my cultivars. It would take them over. It is pretty just not a good neighbor.
You had some fun on the LA! You won some great seedlings! Smoke Scream is on my want list. It's not a late so it didn't make the buy list this year. Maybe by Fall DH will have a new job. I'm trying to get on at a local nursery. That would be a hoot. Would I have a paycheck at the end of the week or would I owe them. Lol It would be fun.
I have been thinking about becoming a Master Gardener. I want to teach children about gardening. It's fun to watch them dig and learn. They are so proud when seeds sprout for them. That's what I want to do someday anyway!
Better get dinner cooked. Be back later!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

My KJC X MCO came yesterday. Got a gift of Ripple Effect X Painted Pattern. The only other seeds that I bought was from a tall cross." Tall Tall Tall!!!! 78 inch Mahieu Rognvaldursson x Nams Town Villain, a Rognvaldursson seedling. This seedling was over 58 inches its first year and held itself up beautifully, a real keeper!". Sellers description. I am going to pull mine out this weekend and start to choose what get started indoors. Currently, my seedling bed is covered with over two feet of snow. Had blooms for the first time last year.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, Wow! Your going to have fun this weekend. You bought some nice seeds. You won't have to bend over to smell those babies. Lol The taller the better. Hope you share pictures next year. How many seedlings did you have bloom last year? I remember you showing some. But, I missed the last part of the bloom season.
I only bought one group of seeds. The rest of my seeds are my own creation. I had a lot of luck with Flutterbye setting pods last. If only they all set pods so easy.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from nutsfordaylily :
One of the things I do during the winter is go through daylily websites and add the ones I really like to my wishlist. I'm just wondering if anyone else here is as obsessive about this as I am. When I see ones I like, not only will I add the name to my wishlist, but I'll also add all the stats and description as well. Before adding it I will search out the databases and google for more pics, just to be sure I really want it. When I'm on the databases, I will also check out all of each daylilies progeny of the ones I like, and then I'll have more to add to my list. I spend hours doing this. Yes, I'm quite obsessed

Karen

I just saw this and wanted to let you know that I DO THIS TOO!! I am crazy and obsessed. I got to know every detail about every flower on my want list and have list. I Google images and check all the databases. I have even have pinterest so I can share pictures and collect them. I am also on flicker and atp. LOL.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2014 10:58 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from blomma :
Kwanjin,
Be careful of Kwanso. I have heard that it is one of those daylilies that is invasive underground. That is the reason I don't have it, thought I love the color.

Karen,
I made the mistake of going to LA for seeds and now in hook for:

(Indian Giver x LBB02) x (Smoke ScreamxBarn Owl)
Hotter Than The 4th Of July x One Hot Mama
Angel Rodgers x Jerrys Whirligig
Patricia Snider Memorial x Kaleidoscopic Intrigue
Pendergriff Lavender Gingham x Baby Blue Eyes
Bass Gibson x HeMan Paid $14.49, but had to have it for the teeth. I should have stopped here.
Incendiary x Get Jiggy
Bob Faulkner sdlng 43 x Believing In Design
Catch A Falling Star x Turtle Tails Little Crabby x Isabelle Rose (waiting to end, it can stay at $4)

All but the Bass Gibson were $4.00. It sold higher last time it was listed and I have been trying to win it and not go broke.

I never sow all at one time for lack of room. Usually 3 at a time for each cultivar cross.

So who is addicted/obsessed? Not me, LOL!!

Same seller. I have bought from him several times. He is Mthrnatur,
Others I have purchased from over the years are Gramps, Lighthousegal (Hemlady), Lily,

My earliest bloom on DL from seeds were 14 months. Others took 2-3 years to bloom without a lot of horse manure. I give credit to rotted horse manure that I dug in prior to transplanting. No other explanation. My daughter have 6 horses so I get unlimited amounts.

The iris seedlings growing next to them also bloomed at the same age. They too got horse manure.

I know of Gramps and Hemlady but also checkout Ladylovingdove. Not sure if she is selling right now but she might put some up soon. I already purchased 38 daylilies this winter and just bid on three more and purchased three buy-it-now's and yes they are on my have list along with every juicy detail. I also found pictures and pinned them on pinterest.

susan

I am done buying for this year. I don't have the space until I dig up more lawn, which i intend to do. I also need to sell some seedlings after they bloom.

Holy cow, 38 DL you bought. Wow! I never purchased more than 15 and that was when I was starting out. Unless I fall in love with another cultivar and have to have it, I have all the ones i have been after. I intend to do a lot of crossing this year. I have lot of irises also to do.

Lilly

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I am hoping to do some crosses up the road and that is why I bought these. Most are big and gaudily just like I like them. I am fairly new to daylilies and last year I bought 150. LOL. Talk about obsessed!!

susan

(Zone 7a)

Holy cow, is right! Some day, when I win the lottery, I'll have acres just for Daylilies...someday...

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Virginiarose, Welcome to the addiction! I thought I was bad. I ordered 71 last year. lol I had some fun on the LA. lol It sure wasn't fun in the spring when they all started showing up at the same time. How did you manage 150? I had pot's everywhere you looked till I could get home's ready for them. Never again will I do that to myself. I hope my bloom season this year will make it all worth it.

You have some great one's. Hope you have fun dabbing them this summer. You should have some pretty kids. lol.

Karen, Hope your alright! They said on the news the east coast is getting slammed with Blizzard like conditions. Hope your safe and warm!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Taylordaylily, she took out some grass and expanded the garden. She did a nice job. Mike

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone! I really do feel addicted. LOL. Winter is so boring and I have to look at pictures and do a certain amount of shopping or I would go crazy!

I started in 2012 when I ordered 52 double fans from Maryott's. They all came in the same box and it was HUGE, my DH thought I had bumped my head.
Last year I did most of my shopping on the LA with a few orders to Maryott's, Blueridge, and Floyd Cove.

>>>kwanjin, We have a small city lot but I live on a corner and lucky us we have no sidewalks, so I am free to plant them right out to the street! LOL.

***taylordaylily, I did have a lot in pots last year and the year before but managed to get them planted the year before but not last year. I do have pots everywhere, and lot's of rain over the winter. I lost a couple to root rot and one was Barbara Mandell, I was sick because I paid 50.00 and one I got from Marietta's called 'A friend to all' that one is gone and I paid 85.00 for it. I am just sick to my stomach!! :((

http://www.mariettagardens.com/Introdetail2.asp?Flowerno=18177

I said I would not order that many again but I did the same thing this year. Plus the perennials and hostas and Lilys and Dahlias and Caladiums. Argh!

>>>Blomma, probably next year I will do some seeds and I will need lots of advice. I bought a few seeds to practice with and they molded. :( .

susan

This message was edited Feb 17, 2014 9:40 AM

Jamestown, NY(Zone 5a)

taylordaylily
Definitely think about the Master Gardener. In our state the course did have a cost to it. I found it to be fun to learn and enjoyed being around people of a like mind. You have to volunteer 50 hours in our state. Teaching children would definitely fit in.
My greatest addiction is a breeder and grower that lives about 5 miles by me. I can go anytime during the season to look around and usually end up buying. Currently that temptation is buried under a couple feet of snow!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Garden56, please share the name of the breeder. We want to know. LOL!!
Susan, I spoke to your husband. YOU WERE KNOCKED UPSIDE YOUR HEAD!!!! Mike

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I hope my head gets better soon. I am still on LA finding things I cannot live without! LOL.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, lol!

Susan,
I understand completely how you feel. I get myself in trouble with my had to have's every year.
Sorry to hear you lost Barbara Mandrel and A Friend To All.
If you have a spring order with Marietta's call them and tell them you lost a friend to all due to rot. They might send it to you as a bonus plant. It never hurts to try. That would be heartbreaking to pay so much and never see it bloom.
My answer to the LA is to stay off there. If I get on, I'm tempted. If I stay away, I'm not tempted. Will Power alone will not help any. Maybe, because I have no will power when it comes to a pretty bloom. lol Good Luck!

Garden 56, I'm looking into what all I need to do at this time. I live in Ohio. There is a fee and you have to volunteer so many hours a year. I'm thinking it's what I want to do. I love teaching children the joy of gardening. They can add a lot of comedy to gardening.
How long have you been a Master Gardener?
Do tell, Who is your breeder you visit? I just learned that Gossard is only a little over a hour away from me. That could get me in trouble! I'm a huge Gossard fan. I love big spiders.

Better get going. We are going to see The Lego movie.

Jamestown, NY(Zone 5a)

I did not mean to give out false information. My neighbor is a member of the AHS and has an huge number of daylilies. I do not think that he has registered his own plants. He i does go to the regional meetings and brings back new ones from breeders. I think I had better call him a grower.
We do have a breeder about 30 miles away. His last name is Nass and all of his flowers seem to have Chautauqua in the name. He does not sell on line and you must make an appointment to buy his flowers. He lives in Westfield, NY.
taylordaylily
I have just been a master gardener apprentice for about 7 months now. It is something I wanted to do and now that the nest is empty, I was able to pursue it.

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

Garden56,

I have been to Nass' daylily farm several times. His daylilies are very hardy and prolific.

Congratulations on getting to the Master Gardener level. These are Chautauqua Blueberry Swirl and Allie's Sunset. Allie is Mr and Mrs. Nass' granddaughter. I took the picture at sunset. The colors seem to be enhanced then.

Thumbnail by wldrnss Thumbnail by wldrnss
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from taylordaylily :
Mike, lol!

Susan,
I understand completely how you feel. I get myself in trouble with my had to have's every year.
Sorry to hear you lost Barbara Mandrel and A Friend To All.
If you have a spring order with Marietta's call them and tell them you lost a friend to all due to rot. They might send it to you as a bonus plant. It never hurts to try. That would be heartbreaking to pay so much and never see it bloom.
My answer to the LA is to stay off there. If I get on, I'm tempted. If I stay away, I'm not tempted. Will Power alone will not help any. Maybe, because I have no will power when it comes to a pretty bloom. lol Good Luck!

Garden 56, I'm looking into what all I need to do at this time. I live in Ohio. There is a fee and you have to volunteer so many hours a year. I'm thinking it's what I want to do. I love teaching children the joy of gardening. They can add a lot of comedy to gardening.
How long have you been a Master Gardener?
Do tell, Who is your breeder you visit? I just learned that Gossard is only a little over a hour away from me. That could get me in trouble! I'm a huge Gossard fan. I love big spiders.

Better get going. We are going to see The Lego movie.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy your Lego movie. I was not planing to order from Marietta's this year but I will keep that in mind. I know they are very nice people!

I do way too much shopping in the winter, I know I do. I might have to delete the LA from my browser after this round, maybe I will not go there if I cannot find them. LOL.

I got a catalogue from Floyd Cove and that was no help. They are removing all their plants that are 35.00 or less and so I had to buy some of those. There was an interesting article in there about BAP , I scanned it into my computer and will email it to anyone who wants to read it. LMK.

susan

Susan, who are you trying to convince, us or yourself. LOL!

I went to LA just to look---honesly---and my "looking" cost me $54 in seeds for one order, and $15.90 for another---all seeds. For some reason, seeds tempts me more than plants.

Now I really have no choice but to till up more lawn for more seedling room. Talked to my DD over the weekend. Her tiller don't work so we decided to rent one and split the cost. Cheaper than buying one. We can do both gardens in 1 day. I used to dig but can't do much of that anymore due to my back.

I do my planing in the winter and start my daylily seeds and watch them grow. It helps to pass the winter quicker.

Lilly

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I was thinking about renting a sod cutter like Mike did but I will probably suffocate the grass with black fabric and newspaper. I need more planting space but I am trying to work them into the landscape. I bought some pretty pathetic daylilies when I first started out so a lot of them ended up in the trash. I was in shock when someone sent me some black ones. Who knew? Not me that's for sure, maybe they should put some type of warning on the outside of the box. lol.

susan

Susan, do what I did when I opened ground, and intend to do it again for more space.

As soon as it is warm enough and grass begin to grow, use weed killer then cover with black plastic and leave for as long as you can. I poured a lot of rotten horse manure (my daughter gives me a lot of crap) before you put on the plastic. Let it be for at least 2 weeks to allow the weed killer and black plastic to work, then till it up of you want.

I never till nor would I recommend sod cutter unless you want grass to regrow. I have learned that every small piece of grass root left behind will grow into grass. No sod cutter will remove every piece of root. And tilling don't kill the grass. It just buries it to sprout again.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

No grass issue here since this 2011 sod cutting. Last pic is from 2013.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Blomma, that is what I did out front with my 51 foot bed. I sprayed round up and waited two weeks then put down black fabric and a thick layer of pine bard and mixed Milorganite and Alfalfa with it. I just do not like the bricks because I have to weed-eat and I believe I will take them up and do one more bed on the other side then toss them or use them out back and toss some ugly ones. I did a long bed down the back fence and used newspaper but it did not work quite as well because of a squirrel burring seeds. Argh!!

***Mike that is beautiful, you are such an inspiration. Thank you! :)

susan

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan,Your bed looks great. You'll have to share some picture's when it's in bloom.
Be careful putting your beds to close to the road. If your like the rest of us you will be out there taking picture's early in the morning. Sometimes in PJ's. lol
Sod cutter's are not easy to handle. If you go that route call in your DH to help you out. I would go the Round Up and smother route. Less labor intensive. I should add that I can be dangerous with a tiller.

Blooma, That is how I make new beds. Well, minus the horse poo. I don't have any poo. I use compost to help my clay soil. I should ask the neighbor for some of their cow poo. Bet, they don't get request's for poo very often. Maybe they do. I'll ask the next time I have to return a escapee.

Mike, Beautiful! Does you DW garden or do you get the whole yard to play with? My DH doesn't garden but will pull weed's. Sometime's he pulls plants. Shhh! He pulled up a Echinacea pallidia because he thought it was a weed. lol I'll get him trained one of these day's.

Wyoming, MN

Mike
Who is the tall red in your last pic?

Gary

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

My DH cannot tell the difference between a plant and a weed, he has not gotten any better at this so far. During the fall a few years ago I planted bright purple pansy's, I asked for help putting down mulch and when I went to look at his side the pansy's were gone! Yikes, where are my pansy's? I found them under the mulch and I asked why did he bury my flowers, he said he did not see them! LOL. They are bright purple!!

taylordaylily, it's not pj's, it the fact that I am always bent over with a camera. I hate it when people honk the horn at me. LOL.

susan

Mike, nice planting in the 5th photo. And do I see a Hibiscus in there.?

Susan, I like rocks but don't use them. I use the black edgings from HD. They have the commercial one that is wider. Walmart's is not as wide. I lay it out flat in the sun so that it is easier to form. It helps to keeps the grass roots from invading the border. Your border really looks nice surrounded by the bricks.

Karen,
try to get all the poo you can get. It is almost the most perfect nutrient for plants. Just make sure it isn't fresh or it will burn the roots. If you can get hen/chicken poo, that is good also. I prefer using poo since it improves the soil. It has been used for generations.

For those of you who are interested and want to learn hybridization, I came across an article. I saved some of the information to Word. You can download the whole article. It is in 7 parts.

http://www.daylilies.org/Whatley/WhatleyTheArtOfHybridizing.htm

Lilly

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Blomma, thanks for the compliment. I was wondering how do people get that black edging to work. How do you get it to stay? I have a few rocks around my Floyd Cove garden but the rest are cheap bricks and I am starting to hate them. I would like to replace them slowly with river rocks.
If you cannot use fresh poo, how do you get it stale. I see bags of cow poo at Home Depot. They look heavy and I do not think I want to look in there. How do you actually put it down and what do you have to do to get it stale?
Thanks for the link, I could not get it to work. I will try again later. I had one article somewhere in my mountain of gardening articles. LOL.

susan

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Gary and Blomma, the hibiscus is Lord Baltimore. The tall daylily to the right is Sears Tower coming in at 65 inches in 2013. First year 2012 it came in at 40 inches. 2014 ?????
I use the landscape bricks for my borders after putting down multiple layers of weed block underneath.
Susan, the garden looks nice. Thank you !!!
Taylordaylily, DW doesn't do anything in the garden. She is allergic to grass. She start to itch like crazy and have to take a Benadryl to help stop the itching.
When I did my multiple beds I went to the bulk gardening center and bought over one yard of compost. A sod cutter is much easier to use than a tiller. When using a tiller, I like to go down as far as possible.
If you are planning a new bed it is easier to prepare in the fall if you have access to fresh manure. Just till it in and come spring you will be ready to go

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.