growing sweet potatoes

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Last year I tried my hand growing sweet potatoes. I had them growing in three large "potato" bags. Most of what I harvested in the fall were very small, way too small to really do anything with them. I only had a handful that were large enough to bake. Perhaps I planted them too late. All these potatoes have been stored on my enclosed porch since they were dug up. They all still have a bit of dirt on them but I see no growth/sprouting on any of them.

Is there a way that I can plant those small ones? Some of these are 4-6" long and about the thickness of an average size thumb. I would like to try to grow sweet potatoes at least one more time, just to see if earlier planting will produce a larger-size crop.

Any advice would be helpful.

Ken in Mississippi

Thumbnail by drdawg43
Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

I've never grown sweet potatoes from the potato itself; I've always purchased slips. A buddy; however, puts the potato partially in water and cuts slips off of it. To do that, poke toothpicks into the side of the potato (radiating outward) about mid-length and suspend the potato in a glass of water with just the bottom third or so dunked in the water (using the toothpicks for support) and wait for green growth (the slip) and some root development. Cut the green growth (with roots) off using a knife and keeping a very small part of the potato attached to the slip. Plant in the ground once its warm--well past frost--and wait at least 100 days. Alternatively, order slips from a seed company.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Ken, what time did you plant last year?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I think I put my slips in the ground shortly after harvesting my garlic, so that would have been late May/early June. I did not dig them up until late October. I hope to get mine into the ground in March, depending on frost forecasts, or at the latest in April.

Thanks for the info. Willy. I will try to get mine to "germinate" and root a couple of different ways and see what worked the best.

Ken in Mississippi

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

Don't be too early--they can't handle frost.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Yep, after the last frost has come and gone, that's when I will put them in the ground.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking that if you stand some of your "little ones" in some water, they might sprout some roots and some leaves, then I know it would be safe to plant them. Otherwise, I think they would rot.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

A good common-sense answer. Thanks.

Ken

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.