WINTER WEATHER IN YOUR GARDEN

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I didn't see a new thread for winter weather so I thought I would start one. It is cold and calm with cloudy skies here today. It is supposed to snow again Sunday. My birds are eating like crazy again but the darn squirrels keep getting on my feeder. Have trimmed branches off the spruce tree which is near the feeder but the little buggers jump so far. Guess I will have to buy a squirrel proof feeder.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thus far, we have had an unusually cold winter for this area. Not a lot of snow but some ice. It remains to be seen how all the plants will fare. Some of my DL are still in pots out there. I'm glad they are hardy plants. :) We've had lots of birds and squirrels in the big spruce tree out back. I've put out corn and some bird seed. I have to watch it because we have a marauding raccoon. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lots of below zero temps , as it is , it snowed again yesterday .
See below (says it all. ) looks this way today still ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh boy, ju, that does say it all. :/

Wyoming, MN

Radio just announced we have had 40 below zero nights so far. Will be 15 below tonite. Thinking spring but dressed for winter.

Gary

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Gary, that's funny. Moved some snow this morning. We got about two inches. Chance of more on Thursday. Will be cold the next few days. Expecting to break 30°f on Thursday for the first time in a long time. So far we have gotten at O'Hare Airport this season 62 1/2 inches of snow. Now if we can continue this trend into rain during the growing season. DW is predicting a drought ! Arrrrgggggghh!!

Mike

Wyoming, MN

The news was saying that our ground usually freezes to about 4ft. This year we are at 5-6ft. Seems like the moisture level at the start of Spring should be good. Don't have snowfall amounts at hand, but it is difficult to see oncoming traffic at many intersections. Amaryllis are keeping me in the green.

Gary

35 below and several inches of snow. Even the dog doesn't want to go outside. There is only so much planning a person can do in winter. As a result, I've "revamped" several areas of the yard already. It had better warm up soon before I make any more changes.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Woke up to -10°f with -25°f wind chill. Plant catalogs are giving me hope.

Mike

Wyoming, MN

-10*f here too. But it is sure sunny

Gary

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Down south is getting it bad today. ICEEEEEEEEE !!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I know. We're all clear here and I'm grateful for that. Be careful, everyone.

Wyoming, MN

Shhh! It's getting warmer here. Could see some thirties next week!

Gary

Normal, IL

Rambling thoughts....since I began to plant evergreen and semi-evergreen daylilies, Illinois has never had this harsh a winter. Actually, Illinois hasn't had this harsh a winter since the late 70s. What are odds of survival for evergreen and semi-evergreens that I've planted in the past 3 years?

I have 100+ potted in 5-10 gallon pots overwintering in the unheated garage. I'm wondering if this is the first winter I lose daylilies overwintering in the garage.

The good news is that the 2-3' of snow may be increasing the survival odds of the daylilies planted in the past 3 years.

Gardening is an experiment.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Onegoodman, only time will tell. I am in the same boat. Lots of snow cover here. None in pots for me. I believe if you keep them watered they will be ok in the garage. Mike

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Same here. Guess we are all in the same boat. But, I have heard that the more snow cover one has, the more it insulates the plant and that is a plus. It is all the ups and downs in temperatures without any snow cover that causes losses.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Dealt with over four inches of snow last night. Had some help. Whewwwwwwww!! 39.to 43°f the next three days.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

60° today. Woohoo! ♥

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We must have had 3 to 4 inches last night. Can't see my sidewalk again. Supposed to rain Thursday. What a mess we will have.

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

I'm only at 61 INSIDE my house....sigh....

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Contrary to this post ,,;; but ;; i don't want to talk about it ,, Expressive aren't I ,, lol ?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur, LOL. Most of the liquid is frozen on the driveway until it warm up. A lot of rain coming tomorrow. Gotta go check the drains by the curb to make sure they are clear. Have a great day everyone.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HazelCrestMikeB;Snow , and melt ,,( mornings , are great if your a natural born ice skater ..

This message was edited Feb 19, 2014 10:34 AM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur, not any type of skater. LOL!!
Raining like crazy here. Going up to 51°f. Be careful everyone. Black ice is still out there.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Went out this morning and scrubbed birth bath, replenish bird feeder and suet feeder. The Downy Woodpecker thanked me along with the other birds.
Going up to 32°f today. Small chance of snow as a little clipper passes south.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello All! I have been missing in action since early January .....and man have I missed everyone. I was commuting to my new job for several weeks, but (although I may seriously have lost my mind) I requested to return to my old job and take my chances here. I may have a job for 3 mos, or maybe as much as 2 yrs, from a financial perspective it might be suicide; but I HATED getting up at 4:30 in the morning and returning home at 6! Leaving in the dark and returning in the dark is no fun. So, I decided to return to my old position and hope for the best - meanwhile, we will try to move around some assets and gets some things paid off and prepare as best we can for the worst.

Oh my, what a winter this has been. We would have snow and ice and it would get clear, at least most of the time, and then here it would come again! I know most of the country has been hit hard! We have had temps all the way down to single digits - so not sure how many plants I lost, but pretty sure they wont all survive those temps! And to think they just raised us to zone 8! LOL that was sure a joke for this winter! Hated commuting with the snow and ice as well............

Hope that everyone is doing well and has managed to stay safe and warm during this extreme weather. It was a wonderful 65 degrees this past weekend, but it is back in lower 50s today and from what I understand much colder temps are on the way again. Just teasing us with a brief glimpse of spring.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm waiting to see what plants I lost as well. Especially those in pots. Many of them went into the garage but many couldn't. It will be in the teens again this week. We've had it good compared to a lot of places so I shouldn't complain. The neighbors leave their dog outside. That makes me steaming mad. Grrrr.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna good to have you back. We trust that everything will work out on the job front. DW hates getting up early also. Fortunately she does not have a long commute, just a hard time staying asleep at night amidst my "LOUD" snoring at times. LOL!
Cville_Gardener, I hope your loss is minimal. The "Polar Vortex" that is coming down from Canada "Oh Canada", LOL!) is going to hit all the way down on the southern coast. Brace yourselves!!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I forgot to mention that after checking on the south side of the house I discovered Daffs starting to emerge. Good sign!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We have daffs blooming here in spots as well....... but some of them are going to get a little chilly this week!! :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, another dip coming in the Vortex. Oh joy. Well, more daffs are up out there ... even the ones in pots. Yay!

I don't blame you, Genna.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Praying all ya'll up North are surviving this current blast! I don't even understand HOW you keep warm or your house heated when temps are 10 -20 BELOW zero!! Beyond my comprehension. Seems like to me it would be nearly impossible to stay warm under those conditions!! I know it has to be dangerous to deal with for sure.

It was 18 here this morning - and I'm sure that almost sounds like a heat wave compared to below zero temps! Hoping this is the last blast - I am ready for Spring!! ^_^

Everyone stay safe and warm!
Genna

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, we are expecting to get to around 40°f in ten days. For now, light snow tonight, two to four inches on Saturday and more on Sunday. Sundays' snow will be coming from the rain in California right now. They will get more rain in the next 48hrs than they got the last two yrs combine!!! That rain will be heading this way. As of this morning they are predicting a southern dip of this rain/snow when it get this way. We will get some snow from it regardless. We just learn to deal with it or move to a warmer climate. Mike

Wyoming, MN

We might see 14 tomorrow. Only 5 today.

Gary

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cold again , thinking of starting a few more Daylily
Nice day temps day after tomorrow ,, with a winter storm .. Gets nice to (do a number ) on me and everyone here .
Fun " winter this year . Mother Nature telling us all to "Dig it " , Were replying She can "Shovel it "(while we do )
While for the Most part ; were all buried in it ...
Looking forward to spring , as always (I think ? maybe? Hesitant about Nature ,,

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That about sums it up. :/

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is a positive that I got thru subscription to "Fordhook Voice". "Calm Below The Storm"

A web log written by George Ball

Thursday February 27th, 2014
The Calm Below the Storm

This winter’s epic storms have lavished a vast swathe of the American landscape with near-record amounts of snow. At my farm here in Bucks County, PA, five feet of snow has fallen since Thanksgiving, leaving a thick, snowy mantle several feet deep that covers the ground.
As the winter snow continues to pile up inch by inch, I hear expressions of “snow fatigue” from friends and colleagues. They long for a speedy ending to this prolonged winter’s tale, and want to see this vast snowy carpet rolled up once and for all. I am tempted to suggest they try looking at the surrounding layers and layers of snow from a plant’s point of view, but suspect their answer might come in a cannonade of hard-packed snowballs.
The current feet-thick snow blanket on the ground is a godsend for wintering plants: the thicker the covering and the longer the duration the better. Veteran gardeners know from experience that the lush snow cover will help insure a bountiful garden season in the months ahead.
It’s something of a paradox: the same severe winter conditions that dump all this snow provide a “security blanket” that shields plants and the soil from drastic swings in temperature and weather patterns. As you tramp through the snow, you can find cold comfort musing about the layered snow’s benign effects on soil surface and structure, plant life and plant-related animal and insect life.
The piled snow’s “igloo effect” insulates plants’ vulnerable root systems from potentially destructive temperature jumps—from subzero to above freezing—and subsequent 30-degree dives. The frost heaves caused by winter’s “bipolar” temperatures that rip up our asphalt roads can devastate fragile soil. Plants’ root systems, their subterranean habitat under siege, their tissues torn and exposed to frigid air and desiccating wind, are doomed. A few feet of snow helps insure the plants’ earthly home.
And like any security blanket worthy of the name, a great big snow cover helps warm “hibernating” plants. In winter, dormant plants, though asleep, are still in a minimal growth phase. A great, big, thick snow blanket doesn’t just protect plants from exposure, but warms the soil, root crowns and, in some species, the upper root system. Under a thick snow mantle, it can be 25 degrees warmer at soil level than the air temperature. Without this covering, very low temperatures will cause plants to suspend growth activity and utilize the stored energy in plant tissue to keep warm.
The thick snow’s warming effect is naturally boosted by sunlight, helping the ground retain the daytime temperatures into the night, allowing plants to grow. Come spring and summer, this winter’s cold-greenhouse effect will pay dividends in the form of plants that emerge earlier, and grow lusher and taller.
Snow doesn’t just protect and warm plants, it helps conduct light to the soil it covers so plentifully. Under the thick snow layer, plants’ root systems engage in photosynthesis, powered by the sunlight, distributed evenly as if by an advanced lighting system.
The humble skunk cabbage, for example, is uncommonly active in dormancy. Under average conditions, the plant, generating enough thermal energy to melt the surrounding snow, emerges from the snowy landscape. Mark my words, 2014 will be a banner year for every plant, including skunk cabbage.
Finally, our winter’s thick snow cover creates a perfect “drip system” that keeps plant roots underground optimally watered, even in frigid cold and frost. The warmest snow, drawing heat from below as well as above, nurtures the dormant plants. And come warmer weather—it will come, it will come!—the resulting snow melt will help keep water tables well-supplied, the better to slake the thirst of plants and trees.
Adopting the plant’s point of view cures “snow-blindness,” and opens our eyes to snowfall’s role as the white stuff with right stuff: an invaluable source of protection, warmth, light and moisture for plants. The snow may be white, but its rewards are green.

Leave a Comment

Read All Comments

PS. This quote from said article stood out to me.
"Mark my words, 2014 will be a banner year for every plant, including skunk cabbage."

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fr.php#ixzz2uuHVkomA

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm sure it does provide a great insulator to these wild swings........... unfortunately, my plants haven't had that blanket of protection.... and some are very worse for wear. We have only had light snowfall, and some ice, but lots of COLD temps for our area. Then it warms up like it was week before last and the trees start trying to bud, and the daffs bloom and things begin to think it is spring. Now, the past few days it hasnt even gotten above freezing! :( Oh well, maybe we won't fuss so much about the heat of summer....... (probably not true) - not wishing for the heat of summer, but a nice warm spring is sounding mighty good!

Further north of us with this latest round there was extensive ice ..... and ice is never good. Makes driving conditions extremely dangerous - as well as leads to extensive power outages for most places effected.

For those of you in areas of lots of snow....... does the thaw usually lead to flooding problems? I know I saw some shots of that on the news and I wasn't sure how common a problem that was. Guess it is frozen back at least for now! Hope everyone stays safe and warm!

Genna

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Impatiently waiting for spring!! We really haven't had a lot of bad weather - just a few inches of ice and snow from this last storm. But it has been unusually cold this winter. I'm waiting to see what has taken a hit. I can already see that some plants have.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna in some places it floods. We don't have any flooding problem here. Snowing right now. Expecting 1-3 inches. We are getting close to eclipsing the third snowiest winter by the weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.