Recommendations for Succulents

somewhere, PA

Hi!

My boss lives near "Silicon Valley" and asked me for recommendations for succulents that would be hardy to 20degF. Since I live in the wet and cold east coast (NE Pa) I thought maybe I should ask here. (He thought since I am a rock gardener, I would be a good resource).

Any suggestions? He wants a variety of sizes & shapes

Tam

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

High Country Gardens sells some hardy succulents. highcountrygardens.com

somewhere, PA

I already suggested them! :-)

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have a suggestion on what "not to" buy. Kalanchoes, euphorbias and aeoniums don't take the cold well. I am on the central ca coast and we do freeze on occasion and I've killed many Kalanchoe and no longer even try euphorbias! Plants that do OK are coytledon orbitulata (pig's ear), most agaves, aloes,crassulas, sedums, actually you can try most succulents other than the above three families and have mostly success. If he ever drives up the coast near where I live I have lots of extras, LOL.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I have no idea what this is but it grows really well and frost doesnt bother it. the plastic knife is to have an idea of the size

Thumbnail by risingcreek
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sort of looks like a dudleya, but a lot of those crassula family things look similar

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Even the tender succulents will generally make it thorough our short freeze periods in certain parts of the garden - Under eaves - Sheltered by taller growth - The "don't buy" list have been lost when sitting in a pot out in the open. but others tucked in among sheltering growth, with southern exposure all seem to come through fine.
We have several succulent nurseries in the area - My favorite is The Dry Garden in Oakland http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/17/
It seems most of the nurseries in the area carry a pretty wide selection of succulents, even at Lowes & Home Depot. For $2 or $3 you can buy a test plant and see whether you can kill it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.