Voluteering/Charitable Efforts

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hello,

I've been feeling lately that since God's given me this great gift, that is skilled hands in the garden, I'd like to use it to give back. The problem is, I don't really know what this looks like and I was hoping to get some suggestions from you all. My interests would mostly center around ornamentals and the joy that it brings others who gaze upon a floriferous garden. Let me know any ideas or experiences you may have, thanks!

Jeff

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I know that there are some older folks who no longer have the physical capability of taking care of their beloved gardens or the $s to hire professionals to do it for them. It often frustrates them and makes them really depressed. I know how it will affect me when I get to that point. I often thought how nice it would be if there were volunteers who would lend their manual labor to weed, divide, prune, and mulch for them. No suggestions though on how the logistics would work or if this is the the type of idea you'd be interested in.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That is what I had in mind. I would love to do something about that. I just don't know how to get the word out though. I've put ads on craigslist before but they were for pay and I quit that after the person who contacted me wanted me to reclaim his house from the forest around it. Not really what I was looking for.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, have you contacted your county's master gardeners? They might be aware of volunteer opportunities.

I know gardeners who volunteer their time at local schools by setting up rain gardens, small herb gardens, etc.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jeff what a nice place to be! Birthday completion of a cycle round and a clearer view of the forest and the trees on the journey ahead. Joseph Campbell says to 'follow your bliss' and the joy is in the journey. God speed.

http://www.rebellesociety.com/2013/08/15/5-signs-youre-on-the-heros-journey/

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Sequoia, maybe you could check with your church; let the Elders or office folk know of your offering of services and maybe either they would like to take you up on it, or they could put the word out (no pun intended, heeheeheee) , or even put it in the weekly bulletin... ? =)

Another idea just popped into my head -- do you have a local Veterans' Home near you? That would be a great place to volunteer!! We did that at my local Veterans' Home when I worked there... we worked with the Veterans to make up some GREAT outdoor planters all over the property.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting article Coleup!

I gave my info on the website of a large retirement community just north of my house. Thanks for the ideas so far!

In regards to master gardeners, I have not contacted them but that's a good idea. I gave them my information last fall in hopes I would be given the test this spring to get into the master gardener program in August. They said they will contact me in April, so fingers crossed that works out and then I'll have plenty of volunteering opportunities because the MG program requires 50 hours the first year and then, I think, 20 a year afterward.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

When you take out plants to remake your beds offering them for free or come and dig or can be a way to pass on some of the fruits of your labors.....

On the North Creek site check out their events tab lots of local to you good stuff going on...
One of the groups NC lists under resources. Windstar offers courses in leading to "Certified Habitat Naturalist' Here in MD we have River Keepers and Watershed Keepers and then there are always random acts of gardening kindness

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh sweet, there's something in York in March :)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I don't know if you were following Ric' recovery from back surgery suppot thread but the Re Hab Center he went to uses gardening as part of patient rehab as part of a National program started in PA . I think it is called Horticultural Therapy.

Meals on Wheels, Therapy Dogs, Pets on Wheels How about Plants on Wheels

I have often thought that 'big box stores' should donate plants, to local projects, schools, libraries, etc rather than throwing them away a kind of Adopt a Garden or 10% of the purchase of this Native Plant/Shrub/Tree goes to Bay Restoration or Habitat Restoration of a local site or veggie starts to Food Banks, etc

Dude, that's a great idea Judy!!! Sequoia, maybe you could check around your local rehab centers to see if they offer Horticultural Therapy and see if you can volunteer there??
Judy, You Da Man!! < =)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah seriously, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for all the good ideas so far!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Thumbnail by coleup
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's it...the narrow, less traveled road for me..

That one always makes me all teary-eyed, Judy. =)

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

The Hampton National Historic Site near my house has posted volunteer activities for pulling weeds and planting annuals. I know this is too far to travel for you most of you, but perhaps there is another National Historic Site nearer to you that needs help like this? Also, I know many of you eschew Facebook but it looks like this is the only place where these kinds of opportunities are posted. I guess you could call the park office and learn about them too.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Hampton-National-Historic-Site/126287084053397

Just an idea!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Saturday May 3rd is Mid Atlantic Invasive Plant Removal Day

Check this site as listings near us are now starting to be posted. A fun activity for the entire family and sometimes in areas not always accessible to the public!

http://www.maipc.org/iprday/about.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like you have several really good ideas there. Master Gardener Program, Nursing Home or Retirement Village and asking around at your Church are all good ideas. I know that our Garden Club has a program to beautify some of the areas in York by putting in gardens on some of the street corners. Maybe your local Garden Club has something like that. You wouldn't have to join the Garden Club to help them. Maybe as simple as looking around your own neighborhood and seeing if there is an elderly couple that could use some help with their yard work.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow...there such thing as a Gardening Club?? I've never heard of that before. What's your Gardening Club called?

I think I'll be able to get hooked up at the retirement village. The place is massive. I put in my volunteer app the other day and I am waiting on a time when I can meet the grounds supervisor.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I joined the York Garden Club, There are quite a few of them in different areas. Generally they are filled with women and there is a good chance that you would not be interested in a lot of the things they do. Generally they do good works, raise funds for civil improvements, scholarships. They have luncheons with educational programs, classes on flower arranging, dried flower design. But there are a few things that you could be very helpful with. Young men with muscles who are willing to dig, mulch and such would be highly prized. Ours has a neighborhood enrichment program that has been planting corners and spaces in lower income areas of York. They have several Girl Scout troops and other neighbor hood groups help. I know that the women in our club sure could use a hand with the planting, mulching and weeding. I doubt that you would want to actually join the Garden Club but you could be put on a list for willing and able to dig.

Mid Atlantic Invasive Plant Removal Day - nothing listed yet for Maryland. They need to get on the stick!! =P THAT is something I could have OOOODLES of fun doing!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting Holly, I'll have to check in to that in my area. At the very least, let me know next time you guys need something and I may be able to help.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread. Oops

These are all great ideas and what a joy to be able to reach out with your time.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a comment on Big Box stores throwing plants out ---

At least in Home Depot--they have NO say what plants. otr how many
get tossed. Bell Nursery owns them all--until they are sold.
They do all the culling and the throwing out....

I don't know about Lowes---they may have different policies...
Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

There are tons of garden clubs in my area -- I bet there are in yours as well. I don't know if this organization is active, but you might try reaching out to them: http://www.pagardenclubs.org/directory.html. They can be a lot of fun.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I just checked out my local club. I didn't even realize there was one in my town! Thanks Hap

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Let us know how it goes! Many gardening clubs manage on the strength of just a few volunteers -- some are very active, some moribund. But meeting likeminded people is always fun.... and maybe you can inject new life, if any is needed.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

When I first read this way back before we got to know you...I thought, Hm, some nice retired guy with lots of time on his hands...hahaha
If your local library branch (or other local gov't branch) is sad in the landscape department, you could try offering there. Our branch has multiple challenges to improving the plantings. Other branches are better because the local garden club adopts them, or the custodian has more natural inclination.. Consider: if you plant, who's going to maintain it down the road? Our building does not even have an outside spigot for watering.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hmm...interesting. I haven't thought of the watering part. Mother Nature isn't always generous.

Truthfully, I've been so busy with my own garden I haven't much time to give to anything else.

One thing I am doing is some church members and I have rented a garden plot at the community compost park and we planted a ton of vegetables a couple weeks ago. It's nice for me because I've pretty much refused to grow vegetables as not to 'waste' the space that could be growing something visually stimulating. So I'm learning there and the veggies will be spread about the church and possibly make their way to a free lunch at a prayer center.

I have to be careful how much I take on with working full time and having much to do in my own garden. Spring is always the busiest and afterward I start to have more time. Also, I always want to make sure I have time for my wife too so I try to keep Sundays free to spend with her.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.