February 2014 - another month of "Polar Vortexes".

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Actual temp -6 F. Really?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Minus -4 here ,, A whole 2 degrees warmer , Wonder how many thousandths of a second difference that would be in a freezer , as to who (which one) would freeze to ( first ...
And; Good morning ,, cold although it is ,, for sure ,,

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

The bad cold must be west of here. It only got down to 3° last nite. It was cold but not like that painful to be outside for a minute cold of below zero. It's funny, the forecast for last nite 2 days ago was 15 degrees below zero. I remember, "boy, I hope that changes". It's funny that it was off by nearly 20 degrees.

edited to say: East NOT West, I get those mixed up from time to time..lol

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 7:00 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm following all the winter time family troubles everyone seems to be struggling with along with the bad weather .
We started out at 9 below about this morning now it is 9 above with a 9 below chill factor ..
I got some more seeds from DG and am trying to hope to get to wintesow some. There is good three feet of snow on the ground here , and it is not going anywhere for a while ..

Weather dragging ,, need my kiddy time energy !

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

just heard we are suppose to hit 40's end of next week.
went to the lawn and garden show today...it just gets worse and worse.... ;( Orchids were BEAUTIFUL! the water garden society use to have beautiful displays and since they have moved them out of the little room they just aren't as spectacular. I helped with the water display one time and it was alot of work. So didn't see anyone new or anything new. Didn't spend any money. Did see some pans I would of like to have had but I refrained. LOL

I wanted to tell you happ those are neat photos of your hibs or something in bloom this winter.
I like how you set them outside by the snow for the shots. Hehe.. no flower is going to actually bloom in the snow, outside! lol

Oops, nevermind, I see it's in the window, and that's a warmer time of year looks like.
I haven't been to the Home and Garden show since 2003..dangit.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 7:18 PM

Nope the pictures were taken yesterday in the solar room, yeap the snow is just outside the windows. The room is chocked full of plants so you may be seeing some of the other plants.

Will you certainly haven't been missing anything at the show, we just seem to go a friend and I out of habit. Just something to do in the winter. I hear the Wichita show is really good, may have to go there one year just to see.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I've noticed that the show hasn't been getting better also. I didn't go this year but last year I went and wasn't impressed by the displays. I guess they need an incentive to do better.

We only reached teens today but my coat actually felt a bit warm so when I was running errands I took it off and left it in the truck. I was slightly chilled but otherwise it wasn't too bad. lol

I see, the pics in the solar room are just as good, happ. Here are some photos of that show from back in the day when I went with my mom. - Maybe you helped with some of these water displays, happ? Yeah, it was surprisingly mild today compared to recent days and what was forecasted for last nite. I didn't complain about the temperature today, I even drove home from work without my gloves on!

I've been hearing good things about Wichita, I bet Joeswife (Debra) can attest to that too!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marking my spot. I need to get up and go. I ran out of time :o(

See ya when you get back, bp!

Well didn't work that garden show but those are pretty flowers.

wish I had bought some daffs bulbs while i was there, but didn't think about it.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh man I wannna seemy daffys and tulips, crocuses, and snow drops! And everything elsetoo. Just some grass would bee great. Lol. Love the photos above. Really pretty.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Those are nice pics Will. The Annual Orchid Show is going on this month at Mobot. I've got to try getting there soon.

Some old random Spring pics and donuts. LOL

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Oh GB had to throw those donuts in there! rofl....I am starving LOL we use to have the best donut shop downtown in this old grungy building called Lamars, on Fridays if you weren't there before 6am the line would wrap around the block! Then they francised and the donuts are horrible or at least not great.

Orchid show for a month that would be great. It is amazing how different orchids can be from the blooms to the leaves.

Nothing melted here yesterday, the wild birds are eating me out of house and home, poor guys.
we got a dusting of snow sometime between midnight and 7. 40's by the end of the week. I just hope we don't get a big warm up and everything start growing and we get slammed with a bitter cold front. Wish Mom nature would just leave it cold and snow, then warm up and stay that way. I know whine whine whine...rofl

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

How about this , I'm crashing ya,all's Garden Party ..lol
It's the Party Pooper !!!^_^ lol See Happ .. you are not alone ..lol
It is snowing here again , weather said An inch to start with maybe two . There is 21/2 inches in the driveway , of nice new snow , and great big snowflakes falling ..
Do I hear 3 give me 3 okay 3 Do I hear 4 , 4 , 4 ,, back later

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

HG, those are baked donuts from last winter. I took that pic to post on the "all recipes" site where I found the baked donut recipe.

I agree that the weather seems "bi-polar" this winter. With the Spring thaw, we'll probably be dealing with flooding and plenty of breeding mosquitoes. The saga continues ... whine whine whine. lol (Just no more major hail storms or tornadoes, please! -- seriously)

I have been so sluggish this week. I believe that going in and out in the extreme cold and trudging through the snow has done me in. This has been a weekend of hibernation. I need some rejuvenation & hoping that the warmer temps predicted for the end of this week will do the trick. : )

The bird feeder was the busiest ever yesterday by the usual winter feeders & sneaky squirrels. I want to see some robins! : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

juhur, your snow storm was a narrow miss for us. It went a bit farther north. Sorry that it found you.

Well just heard we are going to get another inch of this white stuff Juhur I don't want 3 more inches like you...LOL Ok we are going from -4 on Wednesday night to 40 on Thursday...really, that is just plain stupid.

I should be doing something constructive but can't seem to get moving yet.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We are not going to get to 40 but its suppose to get to 30 I think by the end of the week. Hopefully. Just some sun would be wonderful. It was shining when I left work today so bright from the reflection on the snow. Well tomorrow I have a phone interview with another hospital in Kalamazoo. I have mixed feelings aboutthis. I reallly love my job I have now but am worried they are going to cut hours again. Already lost a couples hours a week. Could be worse I know but I really love my job I have now. I do not know what to do. Do I stay where I am at now or do I take another job and be alittle more sucure for awhile?? My manager will cry if I have to tell him I am getting another job. Me too.

We got about an inch today. Snowed like crazy at times. More overnight. About same amount.

I'd consider the new job, GL, you have to look out for number one.
Yeah, not much snow here either, pepper, but I hope I can get up the hill to go to work in the morning, it likely won't be plowed. And more snow overnite, I could be stymied on work tomorrow, hope not, temps only get paid if they work.

Ju is a snow auctioneer!

Today I made 11 Echeveria cuttings, now just hope they take root! - pic #1

I made a cactus dish out of a coffee cup from the thrift store, some sand and aquarium gravel. pic #2
I gave it to a friend today.

Thanks green, the Metropolitan Lawn and Garden Show is nice.

Here was Mcdonalds at 8 this morning, that is the sun! - pic #3
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi garden buddies!

Just stopped in before leaving to work to share a word of encouragement. Yes, the silver maples have budded and the squirrels have been sitting in the trees eating the buds. I understand that it's one of the squirrels' primary food sources this time of year. This is one of the earliest signs of Spring being just around the corner -- and the beginning of the pollen allergy season! A-chuuuu! LOL

Temp 1F & feels like -10F, but tomorrow will be much warmer. The sun will come out tomorrow....

Stay warm knowing that the Spring thaw will be coming soon. : )

It's 21 degrees right now. The sun is shining strong and doing a little melting outside, iciles were dripping when I took this photo a minute ago. - pics 1 & 2 are of icicles from outside in one and the other out the window. Boy, that fiber pot looks a bit funny with icicles coming off it.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

About 12 degrees here -below 0 chill factor ,, Are you ready for this ? Here it comes !!! I Saw A Robin today !!! lol
12 Days until Spring ???!!! ^_^ OH YEAH !!!^_^^_^^_^ could I go for that !!!

Wintersow pic

Thumbnail by juhur7

The first day of Spring is 12 days? Do you have the right month, ju? I like 12 days myself but I fear it's March 20th. : ) A Robin?! I always like seeing a Robin before Spring!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey ,, The Heck with science and technology for now .. I want to believe my Folklore ..

Tongue Roll ,, pout , pout ,, pout ,,, I can if I want to !!! lol

I have to be good now though ,, I enjoy reading through here (the thread and you all )

This message was edited Feb 11, 2014 8:03 PM

Hehe.. you know you want to give me a tongue-lashing! It's okay really, I know I can be a smartbutt!
Your a good sport, ju!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I like jus spring countdown better. Still way cold here. Today no snow. We had a great bunch of sunshine!!! But very cold. Got to take the dog for awalk. She loved it. So happy. Went for dinner then to walmart for a bit. Nice evening with the hubby. Well my phone interview was cancelled so I do not have to make the decision. Kinda happy.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will In response to you , I believe were all tired of being a cold one ,, as much as a Smart one ,,
Winter senility has got me some ,, any good thought, is a wanted and welcome thought .. lol

Working on a few little projects , I am trying to build little wax board concrete cold frames to warm the earth some.. Some of plants do not get warm enough until July then they cook because their not big enough , or strong enough ..
Hmmm (July , August ,, ) Goodness does that sound good , about now ,, lol

I have Spring Fever but not Summer Fever. lol

Sounds like a neat project, ju. I had my own little project tonite, potting up a little Hawaiian Schefflera. - I should explain the print on that newspaper up there a few posts, it isn't an issue of high times or anything! It's odd but this clinical trial company around here has been advertising for recreational drug users! I can't believe it was in my Thrifty Nickel paper and I took a picture of it, out of all the pages! No, I don't do the crazy drugs in that photo! lol I even told my friend the other day, "I can't believe they're trying to get drug users, who would go to that!" lol My brain is fried but I think that's from something else, being dropped on my head as a baby!
Actually, I haven't even got the Thrifty Nickel lately, that paper was used by the thrift store to wrap the glassware stuff I bought last weekend.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I have been watching for robins, but haven't seen any. My gr-daughter claims to have seen some last week. I really enjoy these little birdies hanging out with me in the garden. I throw them worms & they come right up to me. I also miss hearing their distinct chirping sound. Here's some late Spring/early Summer garden pics from a few years back.

Good night. I'm going to dream about gardening with robins. : )

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The last chilly dilly insanely frozen polar vortex morning; according to the forecast below.

4Warn Storm Team Forecast
Updated today at 4:55 AM
Morning Drive: 1s Another very cold morning, perhaps the last bitter cold morning for a while.
Wednesday: High 35. Partly sunny and warmer but still well below the normal high of 44. Increasing clouds. A slight chance of evening flurries. Wind: SE 2-5 mph.
Tonight: Near 20 Mostly clear, not as cold.
Thursday: High 47. Mostly sunny and warmer. Wind: SW 10-15 mph.

I may even break a sweat tomorrow! LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh wowsers it was a big fat negative 5 when I went to work this a.m. bbbbbrrrr. My poor car was so cold. And me too. Was happy to go and walk on the tread mill before work. Warmed me right up. Makes one feel good and starts the day off right. Love the flower pictures brain. I wanna see my plants wwwwaaaahhh.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

gardenlady ; Anything besides Snow , lol I have looked at 3ft of snow for 8 complete weeks ,, old , old , old ,, plants , mud , dormant grass , too much pavement ,, anything besides snow ,!!!LOL ?

This morning -5 here also , just now 27 degrees , that's as warm as it has been in about 5 wks ,
Above freezing is a dream!!!

Our snow is starting to slowly melt. Will be above freezing during the day for at least the next week or so.

No melt today expect melt tomorrow. We did see some snow today but just for a few minutes.
Poor south i feel for them ice isnt any good for anyone.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Not thinking about the snow anymore. Broke a molar eating popcorn & have a dental appointment tomorrow. Kind of took my mind off the weather. LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

oh yeowie green. poor lady i can understand not thinking about the weather. Sure hope the dentist is kind to you. Glad he got you in so quick. We are getting a small amount of snow right now. I guess freezing rain tonight. Boo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.