Do-it-yourself-self watering bucket planters...

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I was looking at the Earthbox® for growing my tomatoes. I like the idea of self watering and covered so they hold moisture and also so they don't get too much rain. Of course the Earthbox is pricey and I did some searching on the Internet and found many site showing how you can make your own self watering bucket with a large bucket.

http://www.ricksroots.com/2011/04/how-to-make-cheap-self-watering-bucket.html

Instead of buying a bucket from Home Depot, we have all these kitty litter buckets and my husband said he could make one with those.

He used two buckets for one planter. The top bucket fits down into the bottom bucket of the same size and leaves a good four/five inch reservoir for the water. We had everything to make these already laying around the house. I attached pictures for you. You can buy buckets at the big box stores, they are about $4.00.

1) buckets assembled using old kitty litter buckets. 2) Looking down into the top bucket, holes drilled for water to drip down into reservoir. 3) The bottom of the upper bucket showing the basket cup and PVC watering pipe. 4) drain holes drilled on four sides of the bottom bucket for water to drip out, keeps bucket from overflowing. 5) Completed, even painted so they don't look ugly in the garden. Holes drilled in the top to hold the tomato cages in place.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

For me these might work well since we do travel and I won't have to worry about watering them. Also I can move them as the sun moves around. I'll keep you posted of how they work out.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GREAT idea Sherri. I'm sure they will help you raise some plants.

Charlie bought 1 of those expensive ones then made his own from metal bin boxes he had nuts and bolts in. They work very well and also hold up a trellis for tomatoes to grow on. Yours are much prettier and won't rust out.

Thanks for the info.

That sounds neat Sherri!!!

Cody

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Neat idea Sherri!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a few of the 5 gal food grade buckets & this is worth a try. Too bad my cats like the litter that comes in boxes. Maybe I need to find a way to re-purpose those!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.