Can I grow a crepe myrtle in alkaline soil?

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

How well would they do? My soil has tested at 8.0 so it isn't too alkaline. Are there varieties that would do better than others?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Holly, you need to first check which ones will grow up there!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4377/
You need a hybrid of L.indica x faureii. I don't seem to have mentioned what type of soil they like! I don't think it's very important or I surely would have mentioned something. (lol) I'll check around.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm sorry, Holly, they seem to prefer it slightly acidic or neutral. The ones with Indian names are the Japanese hybrids (Muskogee, Natchez) but they like it tending acidic or neutral.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I would look around your area and see if you find any Crape Myrtles. They prefer 6.5 to 7 ph, but if you find some growing in your area you might ask what variety they are, and if the owner has to amend the soil to grow them. I certainly prefer the tree form, but it might be the bush form would grow there, I just don't know.

Thumbnail by Seedfork
Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

It's funny you say that Carrie, because when I was looking at varieties that are mildew resistant (and another type of crepe myrtle illness I can't remember right now), the ones that are more so are the
L. x fauriei. Most of the ones I want are of that species too. Some of which are ones you mentioned.
HOWEVER, I have never seen any crepe myrtles around here. I am not even sure there are any sold at the nurseries. That doesn't mean I can't have an anomaly or be the one who can grow one right? That is why I am researching again and asking questions. Thanks though. I am glad I was able to find out before I bought one. I prefer the look of the tree form ones too, seedfork.
Awww poo.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck. Have fun with your newest obsession, even if it stays in the computer!

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

HA HA!! Thank you. The lovely pictures help with my dreaming.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

It may not just be the soil that limits your growing Crape Myrtles, the zone may be too cold for many of them.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/crapemyrtlefaq2.html

It does look like you do have some choices here, I'll bet there are some growing around there nearby. It is just too pretty a tree not to grow if possible.

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

Yes, there are a limited few I just may be able to try but I don't want to take the chance if it isn't reported anywhere to like or tolerate alkaline soil. California is close and because of some people growing them there, I thought I might have a chance. I don't want them to be more work because of that. I will have to watch the nurseries this spring and summer.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Crape Myrtles grow around here quite well. Mostly zone 9.
Many of the soils are high in calcium carbonates, and therefore alkaline. It is a standard practice to add organic matter such as treated sawdust to the soil when planting. The organic matter helps to neutralize the carbonates to some degree, Gets the plants going, at least. Then mulch with coarser organic matter (bark, chips...) as needed. The slow decomposing of this adds more acidic reacting materials to the soil over the years.
For a plant that thrives in full sun, this is often enough. They are usually not so demanding that the soil MUST be perfect.
For plants that need even more acidic soils, such as forest floor plants there is an acidic reacting fertilizer or other soil amendments that can help. I would not go this far for a Crape Myrtle around here, but maybe look into how people grow Azaleas and Camellias in your area. What do they do to the soil? You might have to do something similar for your Crape Myrtle.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We have Crape Myrtles growing up here in 5b. After this harsh winter I don't know how many will survive but they are becoming more common every year. I have never seen the tree form, just the bush form though.

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

Hi pepper. Thanks for chiming in. How do you get them to live through your winter in the first place? The tree form ones are the ones that interest me the most. After learning a little more, maybe I won't get to grow them? Maybe they will die to the ground every year and just be bushes too?
I will have to pay attention to see if anyone is growing those other plants. Even hydrangea's. I have tried the vine type once but it stuggled all year and finally died in the fall. Never made it through one year.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The best thing to do is put it in a protected location. You want it to be in a micro climate. Another thing that helps is mulch. It keeps the soil warm(er) in the winter and every degree makes a difference.

Also they have been breeding new ones that are hardier and can handle colder climates. I don't know how many will survive this winter though. It has been very cold and we haven't had snow cover til now to insulate plants.

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm. A protected and sunny location I do not have.
I know the pains and sorrows of loosing plants because of the lack of snow. Seems like it happens every late February.
(sigh)
I guess it will have to be an online addiction after all.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

^_^

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

I hope yours do make it through this winter, pepper.

Riverton, UT

There is a new series of crepemyrtles that are supposed to be hardy into zone 6, so they should grow OK in Salt Lake Valley. These are the Princess series of crepemyrtles. They have some at Western Garden Center, across the street from Trolley square.

By the way, if you drive in a westerly direction, down the hill from the University toward downtown, starting on 500 South, as you go around the curve going down from the bench into the valley (as the road transitions from 500 South to 400 South) somewhere around 1100 east or so, look off to the right and you will see a crepemyrtle in bloom. It has been growing and blooming there for several years.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2016 9:47 PM

This message was edited Jul 17, 2016 9:48 PM

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

I took the plunge this passed summer. There has been developments to create a hybrid more accessible it seems. I picked up one Lagerstroemia indica 'dynamite'. If you have experience growing this one, please share. If you have experience growing a crape myrtle in alkaline soil, please share that too. I did see some growing downtown and in Sandy this year so I am very hopeful. The one downtown on South Temple, I think, is white. The ones in Sandy bloom red.
'Dynamite' died and didn't make it through the winter. We wanted to try again so we did lots more research and went with 6 from crapemyrtle guy. We got 2 of each 'Natchez', 'Catawba' and 'Red Rocket'. I have been very impressed as these are already being more resilient than 'Dynamite' was. I am optimistic. More and more over recent years are being planted around the Salt Lake Valley. I have been watching one 'Natchez' or 'Sarah's Favorite' for a couple of years now. I am excited for next year. One of the 'Red Rocket' had flower buds on it. I pinched them off and it still sent more buds I had to pinch.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2023 3:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.