Can I insulate a garden window?

Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6a)

I have a 2 shelf garden window in my west kitchen window. I usually keep cacti and other house plants in it but it gets so cold in the winter and we have had record breaking cold this year. I have taken all of the plants out of the window thus loosing one of my kitchen counters in the process.

Any ideas as to what to use and how to insulate this window without blocking the light? Insulate inside the window or over the outside? HELP, please.
Judy

Clinton, IN

Dampen the glass and put bubble wrap on it. The bubble wrap will stick to the glass, the larger the bubbles the more insulating it will be.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, bubble wrap works well. More info:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree, we've had a really cold winter here in Pennsylvania and I have insulated my north east and north west sides with foiled insulation, foiled side in to reflect the light, this does block the light. On the south east and south west I've added bubble wrap simply by wetting the glazing (polycarbonate) with a spray bottle and applying the bubble wrap, bubble side out. I've reduced my heat loss by 50%. It does soften the light a little bit, but the plants are fine. I expect I can delay applying my shade fabric for a month or so because of it. When you remove the bubble wrap dry it and save it for reuse. I do add maybe a half tsp. of Dawn to a qt. size spray bottle to make it stick a little better and to try and retard algae growth. After removing the bubble wrap the windows are easy to clean. I got my wrap from Uhaul but the stuff they sell at Walmart is basically the same and priced about the same. I've chatted with some people down south that say they leave it up year round because it helps cool the GH in summer too.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Cville, I loved that link and all the great stuff on there. Thanks for posting.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're welcome, steady. Some pretty neat projects, I agree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.