School Adventure Part 2

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Well, here we are again. Winter break-time is over and I'm back in the next class again. Slow row to hoe, I tell ya. This next class is a "real" math class, with a "real" instructor. (ie: DRILL SERGEANT) =) I like it!!! Well, at least so far. It's not a computer-lab type of class setting, it's a real instructor who actually instructs the class; maths problems on the dry-erase boards with clear verbal instruction, and LOADS of homework.

Starting this new thread 'cause Gita kindly pointed out the old one was rather long. Sorry about that!

We came from here:

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289991/#ixzz2razKI9b4

Thank you Gita! =)

P.S. 4 more problems to go and all my homework for this week is DONE. =)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Speedie----

New Thread......New Year.....New accomplishments for you! New travails to chuckle over.
It is always fun to read all about your school journeys.

You are so much fun to read about---love your Posts...humor ices over everything
with gentle strokes--like icing a cake...

Hope you REALLY, REALLY plan to come to Terri's Spring Plant Swap May 31st.
It has been too long we have seen you.
G.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Speedie -- if you can make it to my place, I could take you to Terri's for the spring swap -- I must be about the half-way -- or 2/3rds way -- point.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see our Speedie at the swap?? YES!

Don't know why I just posted a "how is school?" query in our Dmail... I hit send then realized I should just come here! LOL

Hope this term is off to a rockin' start -- with Math FUN. :-)

Math FUN, yesss!!! < =D So far it's pretty much just review-with-a-twist. (didn't know you could do THAT with linear equations!) ;)

So far the plan IS to attend the Spring Plant swap, one way or another. Not sure what I'll have to share, and I'm pretty sure I have no "wants", I think the Caladiums and the few seed "wants" will cover it. But GOSH it'll be great to see everyone! =)

Happy, that is so sweet of you, thank you! I might just take you up on it! ;)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo!! Math fun!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Plant swap will be a great way to celebrate success with another class. And we KNOW you will succeed!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Good luck with the next session Speedie. My DD is working on her Masters and I know from listening to her how hard it is especially with a job and family to care for. You sure are a strong woman to go after your dream like this. I applaud you.

Aaaww gosh, thank you!! < =D

Well, I'm up-to-speed and a teeny smidgey bit ahead now. Got the quizzes done for Chapters 2-3, and 4-5. 100% and 95.45% respectively. All that is due by midnight tomorrow night, so that's cool. I've also got chapter 6.5's homework done. Weird the way the chapters/sections skip around. There is no chapter 6.1-6.4; Ch. 6 starts out at 6.5. I'll see what I can do with that tomorrow morning before I have to go run all over Helen Gone. ;)

OK, it's official: I absolutely HATE factoring!!!!!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Pffftttt!!! Heheheh. Me, too. It's been a long time though. I know you can do it!!!!

Thank you for your encouragement! =) Yeah, I know I can too, but gosh it's PESKY!!!! In her lecture notes, the professor headed up the section introducing Factoring: You need to know how to factor in your sleep!

I guess she really means it. < =/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe

I'm not factoring in my sleep yet... I think I need more practice...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Don't think I would get any sleep if I had to factor in my sleep. (she said sleepily)

Heh heh, well, with all the homework of late, and studying (aside from actual 'assigned homework'), and quizzes, I should be doing it very soon!!

Just passed the next quiz (#6)... now ready to move right along! =)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo!!

First factoring dream last night... I think I need a doctor. < =/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hahahaha. Love it!!!

When I was a toll collector sometimes I would find myself reaching my hand in and out of the sheets.

Heeheeheee, work-related dreams are the WORST!!!

When I worked with the medical practice so many years ago, used to dream that a patient came in for a visit.. in my bedroom.. and I WASN'T APPROPRIATELY DRESSED!! < =0

lol lol

This is so cool, I'm REALLY "getting it"!!! Factoring polynomials is coming easier and easier each day, and I actually over-came an obstacle yesterday MYSELF. Y'all already know how anal I am about having to understand the 'WHY' of stuff... it just doesn't stick if I don't understand why I have to do it! Well, we're now into dividing polynomial fractions, and sometimes there's this little "twist" thrown in... Sometimes, there's a pair of binomials that are almost the same (so you can factor them out), except they are actually complete opposites... so close and yet so far!! (a-b) looks so close to (b-a)...but they're NOT!! How to make them the same? That's where I was stuck... For those of you 'in the know', you know you just 'factor out a -1' from the one that needs to change, simple. But, I was just NOT grasping that concept!!! I was just TOTALLY NOT understanding why that "-" STAYED on the outside of the ( )... I mean, if you'd already multiplied it, shouldn't it be gone now?? NOOO!!! I swear, I spent over 2 hours trying to work out the 'BUT WHY NOT!?!?!' Then it dawned on me....
Say you have (10a-10b). Factor out the common term, "10"... now you have 10(a-b). They are exactly the same thing. If you take (a-b) and factor out a -1, you then have -1(b-a), or -(b-a).... THEY ARE THE SAME THING!!! -(b-a) = (a-b) ... BUT only THE WHOLE TERM "-(b-a)" is equal to (a-b)... The "-" is not gone from the first term... omitting it would be as INCORRECT as omitting the "10" from 10(a-b).
In other words, the term that you have factored out is a PART of the term, it HAS to stay!!!!

I don't know if I've explained this very well, but that's the epiphany I finally had after 2+ hours of trying to figure out "WHY?!!?", and I am sooooooooo excited!!!!!!! < =D You math gurus should understand what I'm talking about... I think. ;)

I'm just SOOOOOOO excited to have figured this out!!!!!! < =D WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

that's really wonderful, Speedie! I admire the way you're making sure you understand everything so thoroughly! I'm not one of those mathie people but I really admire how you make sure you understand everything--that will serve you so much better in the long run than just memorizing a math recipe!!

bd
two thumbs up for epiphanies!

Thank you thank you! But, it's funny, really, 'cause I knew I couldn't even be able to go forward if I didn't understand it. I tel ya, I can't "memorize" stuff just to memorize it; it's gotta mean something or else it just doesn't stick. ... maybe I need more glue in my head? < =)

OK Sally, now you've got me stumped.. what's "bd"?? But yes, I just LOVE epiphanies!! Three Cheers for those "Aah-HA!!" moments!! < =D When that light bulb went off, the whole neighborhood was blinded! =) Heeheeheeeee!!

7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 are now done, ready for another quiz and 7.4 tomorrow. =)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yay for epiphanies!!!!

Afraid MY neighborhood would still be in the dark and never get blinded by THAT lightbulb.

You go, girl

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good for you!! I remember my father working so hard to help me reach those epiphanies in high school algebra class… It sure didn't come easy! Factoring polynomials, wow, I remember that struggle. Not sure I could get my head around the now either, so my hat's off to you!

bd
is my emoticon for my two little fists with my two thumbs sticking up
do you see it now? did you have an epiphany on it?

Yes Critter, that factoring can be a real PAIN... but it's cool that, most of the time now, all I gotta do is look at 'em now and I can "see" it without having to actually "think about" it. =) I LOVE when that happens!! Sorta like one of those optical illusion photos -- once you see the old man's face, you can't "un-see" it! < =D

LOL Sally, "Aah-HA!!" The light bulb went off again, can you see it from there!? It's shining brightly!! =)

Just found a very interesting email in my mailbox this morning, on logical thinking. Boy, I could sure use help in THAT area!

I'm sure many of you already know this, but it's cool to see it this way:

original: if a then b
converse: if b then a
inverse: if not a then not b
contrapositive: if not b then not a

Example:

Eating spinach makes you stronger.

1) If you (a) eat spinach, then (b) you will get stronger (ORIGINAL)
2) If you do not (a) eat spinach, then you will not (b) get stronger (INVERSE)
3) You are not (b) stronger, therefore you must not have (a) eaten spinach (CONTRAPOSITIVE)
4) You are (b) stronger, therefore you must have (a) eaten spinach (CONVERSE)

1: TRUE
2: FALSE
3: TRUE
4: FALSE

Pretty neato, huh? =)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I like the example, but now I have "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man..." doing laps inside my head!

I had an algebra teaching dream last night... hopeless bunch of students, could've used a few determined Speediebeans in the classroom, for sure!

Oh noes, dreaming about teaching maths!?!?! Heh heh, fun, isn't it??

... oh great, now that song is stuck in my head. < =/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I Yam what I Yam......

STOP THAT!!!! < =P haahahaahaahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!

Ah Yuk yukyukyuk!!

popeye is my favorite childhood cartoon according o one of my password secret questions" I identified with Olive Oyl !

Does your smile look like hers, too? ;)

Thumbnail by speediebean

hm. what cha think

8 ^D

MUCH cuter, and no spinach in your teeth! =)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.