Pushing the envelope or boxes or pots?

Longboat Key, FL

First time this year I started seeds in mid-November.

Now I would usually direct this directly to our very own "doyenne in residence" of all things tomato -- Carolyn -- but I thought I would try to involve those of you who maybe currently singing, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

Black Cherry, Sun Globe, (the free sample from TG) Cherokee Chocolate and Mountain Magic -- and a selection of herbs. They went into the boxes and pots in our Florida weather the first week of December. (see photos 1 and 2)

Very productive. we have been eating the baby bok choy and the lettuce and, of course, all of the herbs -- in the boxes.

The growth has been prolific. (see photos 3 and 4)

All of the tomatoes are blossoming prolifically -- the most beautiful is the one shown in photo 5 It is on one of the CC's. There are some healthy babies on the BC's and the SG's, but the CC's and MM's are still just blossoms.

So -- who wants to play the Oracle at Dave's Garden?. Will I be eating tomatoes or selling chrysanthemums?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL Thumbnail by flyboyFL Thumbnail by flyboyFL Thumbnail by flyboyFL Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not an oracle by any means--but I'm going for eating tomatoes. The days are lengthening, the nights are getting warmer. If we've been living right, tiny tomatoes should be appearing soon!

No snow here today (knock wood), although it was cold enough this morning for sure! I appreciate the photos and can't wait to see the posts with the tomatoes soon ☺

Good luck, Terri

Longboat Key, FL

Hey Terri:

From your mouth to G-d's ears.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

It is a mystery!

The tomato plants in the boxes are bigger and stronger and have more blossoms.

The same plants in the pots are skimpier but have set more fruit -- so far.

It is a mystery!

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Plenty of blossoms and little green thingees -- but we are still buying tomatoes at Publix.

That top cross string (with the tomatoes creeping above it) is 4 feet above the earth in the boxes.

And the little plant on the ground at left is cucumbers -- which, with the dill next to it (and some garlic and other goodies) makes our tzatziki.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Eureka!!!

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

OOOO! Very cool!

Longboat Key, FL

Hello Golden boys -- be-bye Publix

and -- Happy Valentine's Day

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, flyboy- makes me envious up here in WA- no tomato seeds even sowed yet-

Longboat Key, FL

Yes, but you in WA have Bill Gates!

Be well

(o_O)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, does Bill grow tomatoes ;~/ ?

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Probably in his tube farm, Terri... Flyboy you've really got me going now, We were in Key Largo just two weeks ago before the big storms blew through. It was so beautiful there I wish we had stayed there with the 80ish temps. Now back in NY. Nice job with the tomato boxes, we'll be starting our early seeds in another month or so.

Al

Longboat Key, FL

Good luck.

Longboat Key, FL

We had already eaten three of them.

Yum

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Boy those look good right now.

Longboat Key, FL

And the temperature is still climbing!

Longboat Key, FL

Tomatoes in boxes almost six feet high.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Again, I wish I could smell them. I love the aroma of green tomato plants!

Longboat Key, FL

I hate the yellow pollen that clings.

(Just kidding!)

Be well

(o_O)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL, I've had that yellow pollen on my face before. Didn't know it and went to the grocery store like that.

Longboat Key, FL

Farewell Publix -- hello garden.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Awsome!

Longboat Key, FL

The first Cherokee Chocolate. (The tiles are 4 1'2 inches square.)

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Can't make up my mind which I would like better this morning, a 4" diameter fresh from the garden tomato or a nice chunk of chocolate.

Either way thanks for posting the photo of the lovely tomato.

Longboat Key, FL

And, the Cherokee Chocolates are loaded ..

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

flyboyFL
Do you remove suckers from your tomato plants?
Fruits look great.
I keep following your post just in case we will move back to Longboat Key.
We do have a house right after the bridge inside the Resort at LBK.
The best beach in the world for years !!

Longboat Key, FL

I remove the suckers as soon as they get large.

Yes, best beach until they started renourishing it. Mother Nature did a better job of replenishing the silver sands -- of yore.

Good -- and beautiful -- beaches are supposed to be ephemeral.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Part of today's harvest

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

oohhh congratulations !

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks delicious!

Longboat Key, FL

Tastes good, too.

be well

(o_O)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! There are few 'mater sandwiches in that haul. Enjoy!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Nice haul Flyboy!! I'm sure they taste as good as they look.

We're pushing the envelope a bit, too. I have a few "extra early" Sub-Artic Maxi and Patio Princess plants for containers, possibly planting next week or so. They are almost 8 weeks old right now, grown from seed. They will be transplanted into 5 gal buckets which must be moved inside/outside according to the temperature conditions. We normally wouldn't put tomatoes in the garden until Memorial Day. My goal is to eat fresh tomatoes by July 1st, which is early around here.

Al

Longboat Key, FL

terri

Right. Those Cherokee Chocolate slice up just fine

and -- attaboy lycodad.

My tomatoes (now) never touch the Good Earth. Makes it easy -- but takes more watering.

Be well

(o_O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.