Skunk Question

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I went out earlier this evening, and when I came home my attached garage smelled strongly of skunk. It doesn't smell outside at all, I left the car sitting in the driveway, because I didn't want to scare one if one had gotten in. I couldn't see anything, but there are a lot of boxes stacked in the garage. Would a skunk come in to a garage that's used alot? Through the garage is how everyone comes and goes, and it's my only access to the basement. There are always people going in and out, and dogs, too. Should I leave the back door to the yard open a bit, so if one is in there it can easily get out? If there is one in there, how do I get it to leave without getting sprayed?

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

A fox smells a bit like a skunk and they do go in to garages, factories, warehouses etc.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Skunks definately will go in an open garage ~ If the smell is realy strong in there, Then he must have sprayed when something scared him or he felt threatened ... I would leave the door to the yard opened .. He will most likely leave .... If you watch from a window for a little bit and make sure no one goes in there to scare him, You'll most likely see him scurry out ~ good Luck and put a post on how it works out ok

Mason, MI

P.U!!!! My eyes are burning just thinking about this!
We had our first skunk in our garage/workshop/barn
this past Spring. It was not a pleasant experience.
He had gotten trapped in the live-trap
that we keep set for our friendly woodchuck population.
Holy Toledo!!!!
My husband had the nasty job of taking care of that skunk.
Needless to say, I made him change all of his clothes outside and then we burned his clothes.
Man-o-man.
The answer to your original question is: YES!
Skunks will venture inside a garage or barn,
even if it is used all the time!
Keep lots of tomato juice on hand and good luck to you!
Melissa :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Tomato juice????

Mason, MI

Tomato juice seems to help remove the smell from hair.
A lot of folks bathe dogs in it
(that have had contact with skunks).
My husband washed his hair (after our skunk incident)
first with tomato juice, then with his regular shampoo.
It seemed to help.
Those skunks have a powerful smell, 'for sure!
P.U.!!!
Melissa

Good luck Momcat' We had a nest of them years ago under our shed' Our sons got into their "stash" of firecrackers they save for new years and wallah,snap,crackle,pop,lol,no more skunkeroos,lol' They never came back either,lol' And YES TOMATO JUICE WORKS'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.