Intercropping w Phaecelia tanacetifia, Melissa & R Chamomile

Oak Ridge, TN

Inviting pros & cons of odd idea I hatched last night. Thinking of starting several (10-20) of each of these guys 2 months before my FFD (I'm 7b.) The phaecelia will be the understory for my pole bean tower bed. The Melissa will go under my tomato cages & cuke cages (separate bed.) The Roman chamomile will be used in my raised beds with summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, & peppers. I have never been completely happy with mulch or landscaping fabric for weed suppression (I don't live where my garden is, I actually enjoy weeding but the humidity here is BRUTAL by July & I just can't spend hours at a time outside.) I want as many beneficials helping me with pest suppression as possible. I want to maximize water retention in my soil. I realize I will have to give the Phacelia & Melissa several haircuts to keep them manageable during our long growing season. Any and all input welcome : )

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have no experience with phaecelia but do know the Melissa, better know as Lemon Balm. It is a wonderful fragrant plant (leaves can be used for tea) but can spread and reseed everywhere if you let it form seed heads. It also spreads. If you want to put it under or around tomatoes make sure it doesn't crowd them out. It would probably be fine the first season. It is a perennial so you will probably be ripping it back the next year if you plan to use the same spot again for tomatoes.
I have had it in my garden for years but have to make sure I remove unwanted seedlings that pop up in odd places. The larger the plant gets, the harder it is to remove the whole thing. It requires a good but of digging to get the whole root out. I am now finding it in my perennial bed where it can be a crowder!
I have not done much with Roman chamomile but I think it makes a nice mat compared to the German chamomile. I had never thought of using it with squash, eggplants and peppers but see no reason why it wouldn't work. Are you buying plants or seeding it? I'm not sure how long it would take to form a mat from seeds. Others would have to help you with that.
Interesting ideas - hope they work! Let us know!

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

With any kind of living mulch make sure they dont out compete your crop for light, moisture, space, and nutrients or they might not be much different than having weeds.

Let us know how it goes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.