"Think Spring!" SEED SWAP Sat. Feb. 15 in Frederick MD

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's that time of year again! Eating lunch with old friends and new, swapping seeds, and talking plants. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoonn

Swap CANCELLED due to stupid groundhog and his stupid shadow
We will reschedule, probably for Saturday March 1. Details will follow on a new thread.

Date: Saturday, February 15, 2014

TIME: noon to 4 pm, we'll start the seed swapping around 2

WHERE: Frederick, MD, Chef Lin Buffet (scroll down for directions)

WHAT: Eating Lunch and Swapping Seeds

WHO: DG subscribers and their guests (see list at bottom of post)

COST: $15

DISCUSSION thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347157/
HAVES & WANTS thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347159/

BRING: Extra seeds, either commercial or self-harvested. If you're going to split seeds into smaller packs, try to do that ahead of time, because it gets crazy! Most people bring a small item for the "gift table," which is sort of an expanded door prize thing that we like to do. Most of all, bring your enthusiasm -- we're going to have a great time!

AFTERWARDS: enjoy a browsing/shopping trip to Dutch Plant Farms (mention the Dave's Garden discount to get 15% off hard goods and 20% off plants! excluding sale items) then come to my place to watch Duke trounce Maryland! ;-)

If you've never been to a DG Mid-Atlantic event, don't worry... we are a fun and casual group. Everybody brings their extra seeds to swap & share (it's very useful to make up little labeled packets ahead of time), everybody visits and talks, and everybody goes home with a nice selection of seeds to try! I wrote an article that may give you an idea about how this event goes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/. I think this will be our 7th year for a midwinter gathering here!

You may want to plan to come early so you can drop by Dutch Plant Farm, my favorite local nursery for winter visits. Joyanna's favorite bird, Pogo the Parrot, lives there. I wrote an article that has a lot of photos taken there, if you'd like an idea of what they are likely to have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/769/ I emailed Mike and arranged a "Dave's Garden Discount" for our group on that day, so please be sure to ask for it at the register. For regular-priced items, we'll get 15% off on hard goods and 20% off on plants!

Between 11:30 and 12:00, we'll meet for lunch at Chef Lin, a local Chinese buffet that's one of my favorite Frederick restaurants.

First, we'll gather in the back room to get name tags and put our "stuff" down. I'll have a tray with bags for putting in seeds or little goodies for everybody (your name will be on the bag, but please leave it where it is until after lunch). There will also be a "gift table" set up as well as some tables/chairs where you can leave your seeds for the swapping part of the afternoon. Look for Sally -- the tall blond with the dazzling smile -- and give her your lunch money ($15).

As we did last year, we'll be eating our lunch *outside* the room, at the tables in the rear of the restaurant. This will let us all eat together but be a little less cramped than in the past. As always, people are encouraged to change seats after then make another trip to the buffet, so they get a chance to talk to different people during the meal.

Just before 2 pm, we'll change gears, maybe play a game before starting in on door prizes and seed swapping. If you have something you'd like to donate to the "gift table," please Dmail me or post that you're bringing something (so I know around how many items we'll have). Purchased items for the table should be under $5. If you got a pair of too-small garden gloves for Christmas, or you have a pretty grapevine wreath you're just done with, or you have an extra rooting vase or other container -- those are all wonderful gift table items!

We can get away with a few plants on the gift table, but "serious" plant trading will have to take place in the parking lot, or at my house for anybody coming over later.

We'll concentrate on seed swapping from 2 to 3:45 pm or so. Of course, seeds can be swapped outside of that time, and of course anybody who doesn't want to swap seeds can just keep chatting and visiting. We can (and usually do, at least a few of us) continue visiting as we shop for bargains over at Dutch Plant Farm. You're welcome to come back to my place afterwards for the Duke/Maryland men's basketball game (starts at 6).

There will be a seed swapping DISCUSSION thread as well as a thread for HAVE/WANT lists (one post per person, edit as needed). It's not necessary to make any arrangements ahead of time, but it can be useful to see what people have and what everybody's looking for. If you have seeds sorted out ahead of time for people, you can "deliver" them into their goodie bags (like valentine mail boxes in grade school).
DISCUSSION: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347157/
HAVES & WANTS: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347159/

The cost for lunch will be $15, including the tip and your choice of water, hot tea, or soft drink. Snow crab is an available option for several dollars more, but let's make it easy on our waitstaff by skipping the snow crab, please. There's a lot of other seafood on the buffet -- sushi, steamed shrimp & mussels, clams/oysters on the half shell, fried fish/shrimp/scallops, and various hot dishes. The hibachi grill lets you create your own combination, cooked for you on the spot.

The buffet also has everything from soups and stir-fries to fried chicken and mozzarella sticks... there's salad, fruit, and an expanded array of desserts. Ice cream lovers are in luck -- they now have a toppings bar as well as 3 ice cream stations: Hershey's ice cream cups & bars, hand-scooped ice cream, and choc/vanilla soft serve. They also have a chocolate fountain (great selection of fruit & other dipping items) and even a cotton candy machine! Don't miss the hot little fried sugared doughnuts on the appetizer bar. The selection is remarkable, and even if you don't like Chinese food you'll find plenty of possibilities.

We will all be on one tab, so please bring $15 in cash to pay for your lunch. Pay Sally, the tall blond with the dazzling smile.

I know some folks might be on tight budgets, and we've all been there. If the cost of the meal might keep you from coming, please Dmail me, and we'll get you covered. I don't want anybody to miss out.

Swapping of plants (with potting soil or dirt) that we can't bring inside can be done in the parking lot, maybe around 3:30. If it's too cold to leave things in the car, you can bring them to my house before the swap, labeled for their recipient so they can be picked up even if you're not present. (Jim will be home after lunch.) Small bagged plants and cuttings are OK to bring inside the restaurant. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but bear in mind this was meant to be a seed swap. :-)

Please post on this thread if you're interested in coming. It's useful for the restaurant (and for me!) to have an approximate head count.

If you can't come but still want to swap seeds, please post here or on the seed swapping thread to ask somebody to volunteer to be your "seed fairy." You can post have/want lists, send your seeds and return postage to your person, and they'll send your seeds to you after the swap.

I had a blast at our previous seed swaps, and I'm so excited about this year's gathering!

THINK SPRING!

:-)

~ Critter (Jill)

This message was edited Jan 18, 2014 8:32 PM

This message was edited Feb 9, 2014 10:48 AM

This message was edited Feb 14, 2014 6:36 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

PROSPECTIVE PARTY PEOPLE
(please POST ON THIS THREAD if you're planning to come!)

Critterologist - Jill & Joyanna
Catmint 20904
Aspenhill - Terri
Coleup - Judy & Wayne
ecnalg & Greenthumb99 - Pat & David
ssgardener
SallyG
Gitagal
Happy_Macomb - Devon & DH Darryl & DD Victoria
Donnerville
Ric & Holly
Butteneer & Bobbin
Muddy1
Theresa (Jill's friend)

Possible absentees needing "Seed Angels" to receive/send their seeds:
Speediebean
Coleup (depending on weather)
Terp

This message was edited Feb 9, 2014 6:56 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

* * DIRECTIONS * *

The restaurant is in Prospect Plaza, at 417 S. Jefferson St,near a nest of interchanges where 15, 340, 40, and 270 all come together. This makes it both easy to get to from different directions, and hard to describe, but these directions worked well last year, LOL. McDonalds is at the front of the Plaza, easy to spot. Chef Lin is toward the center of this strip mall.

Combine these directions with a look at the map! (I failed to get a link... type 417 S Jefferson Frederick, MD into google, but don't try to follow the really confusing step by step directions, just use it for a map)

From the north, coming down 15 South. Get off at the Jefferson Street exit, turning LEFT (going east). Cross over the highway, and Prospect Plaza will be immediately on your LEFT (turn LEFT at the light).

From the south, along 15-340 North (the two highways merge together just south of Frederick): Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Keep left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From the south, along 270N (coming up from the DC beltway): Get off at the Jefferson Street exit and turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the east (Baltimore), you'll be on 70 West. Take exit 53b, 15 North. Take the first exit onto Jefferson Street. Turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the west: you'll be on 70 East. Take the exit for 15 North. You're now on 15-340. Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Stay to the left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn left at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From Dutch Plant Farm (151 Baughmans Lane) to Chef Lin: Turn LEFT onto 40 East. Take the first RIGHT onto 15 South. Take the first exit, Jefferson Street. Turn LEFT onto Jefferson Street, cross over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

Dutch Plant Farm is off "the Golden Mile," highway 40, W Patrick St. At the corner of 40 and Baughman's Lane, there's a shopping center with a JoAnn's. DPF is just behind the shopping center. Coming from 15 onto 40W, you'd turn RIGHT at the first light onto Baughmans Lane and then take the 2nd entrance on the LEFT into DPF. (The 1st left is the side entrance into the shopping plaza.)

If you're planning to come to my place for the basketball game, please let me know, and I'll Dmail directions if needed. :-)

This message was edited Jan 11, 2014 11:23 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Caladiums from Bill at Caladiumbulbs4less.com GROUP BUY being hosted by Catmint!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347009/

This message was edited Jan 11, 2014 11:26 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Count me in as an attendee -- I'm already excited! I doubt I will swap seeds, though... just eat and talk!

But I'm thinking of winter sowing. I'd probably do it if only there were enough days so cold that I couldn't work outside. But we don't have extended periods of cold any more....

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Count me in, too!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

As always hoping to attend (Wayne, too) subject to weather and demands of paper route. Thanks Jill!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David and I plan to attend. Thanks!

Looking forward to it!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Count two here.
I will be happy to be the Collecter also.
Man, I can taste those green beans already….

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will attend as well----Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll try to get Darryl to come as well. Won't know until the last minute - he often uses my field trips as an opportunity to get caught up on work....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sally!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from critterologist :

AFTERWARDS: enjoy a browsing/shopping trip to Dutch Plant Farms, then come to my place to watch Duke trounce Maryland! ;-)

Please explain your choice of words.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I stand by them. Although we did get our clock cleaned the other day, so the 15th might be anybody's game. You are permitted to come over even if you refuse to cheer for the better team. ;-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Ew. Yup sounds like a member of the Puke nation to me.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hah. see if you get any half-time snacks. although after the buffet, we might not need much in the way of munchies.

Terp, are you coming to the swap?

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Count me in, Jill.

Like in previous years, again I have hardly any seeds to contribute and won't need much either. I am going for the party :o).

I am looking forward to seeing everybody!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Donnerville, I am so glad you are coming. I won't be swapping seeds either, but I can't wait.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill, Holly and I plan to be there.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi. Bobbin & Buttoneer will be there weather permitting.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I plan to come and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Critter, just wanted you to know that because of the unstable weather situation Wayn and I will be unable to attend tthe seed swap tomorrow, I'll ask Sallyg to be my seed fairy and make arrangements to get payment for tuberose and seeds to you you asap.

Have a great time every one!!

Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Awww...Judy!
We all have the same "unstable weather conditions" to deal with,
to one degree or another.

I, for one, was hoping you would be able to make it...finally...
Give it a college try????????? HUH?

G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I swear, the forecasts keep changing every time I look!

OK, it's time for everybody to weigh in, please...

If we keep the seed swap on schedule for tomorrow, are you likely to be able to make it, or does the weather out your way look pretty iffy?

If we move the swap to March 2 (also a Saturday), would you be able to attend then?

Obviously, if we get a major ice storm all bets are off for tomorrow, but otherwise I thought I'd seen what our numbers would be for one day or the other. I'm leaning toward rescheduling, but I want to know who could make it. Also, I need to check with Chef Lin... I think they have a dinner thing in the back room on the 2nd, need to verify that it's not a lunch thing (although we could meet at my place instead).

The caladium bulbs will keep... and the packet from Hazards hasn't arrived yet.

I'm off to get my hair done -- one of my least favorite things, since I did without it for decades, but I can't handle not being blonde, either! I'll check in when I get back.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Weather forecast is calling for more snow tonight and tomorrow. Not much, but enough to make me concerned about driving to Frederick in it.

I would like to reschedule too.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Md tv station (WJLA) predicts 2"-4" tomorrow starting about 7:00 a.m and Bobbin won't drive in that. Monday March 3 is not good for me because my daughter & I are taking a bus trip to the Phila Flower show but Saturday March 1 or Sunday March 2 are fine with us Button & Bobbin.

It would be great if we could schedule!

I'm not usually bothered by a couple of inches of snow, but this is coming on top of a foot of snow.

My favorite source for DC-based weather forecasting is the Capital Weather Gang. They're expecting 2-4 inches for Frederick:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/02/14/more-snow-tonight-but-may-not-stick-near-the-city/

Jill, March 2 is a Sunday. Did you mean Saturday, March 1? In that case, I can definitely make it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We were going to drive to you from directly from BWI. I guess all things considered I'd prefer to reschedule, so we can see what crises await us at our house, but I'm easy either way.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--
I always drive up with Sally--so it is up to her...she did say her court has
not been plowed at all. Those riding with her will have to park somewhere else?

BTW--March 2nd is a Sunday....Saturday is March1st....

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I think rescheduling is the best option, too.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Amen.Let's hope March is a lot better.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Saturday March 1 looks ok at the moment. Tomorrow is fine with me too.

:-

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Reschedule is my vote too.

I hate having to, but the forecast has snow before and during our entire travel time!!

Yes happily I CAN do March 1 Saturday

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill, Holly said March 1st sounds fine for us, since I'm on her log in.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ditto!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

March 1 is fine for me too. Better safe than sorry. It's not like we can go plant our seeds anyway; too much @#&% snow !!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2014 6:18 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, Saturday March 1 it is! (Yes, I did mean the 1st, sorry about that... I was writing quickly and without double checking my calendar)

I'll check with Chef Lin about availability, but not to worry, we'll figure something out either way.

I'm happier not having to worry about people driving in wintry conditions.

I will start a new organization thread for the seed swap, as we may have other people able to come on the 1st who couldn't make tomorrow's date. I'll put up a new discussion thread then also, since the first one was getting long. Would it be more confusing or less to have another Have/Want thread? I'll mull that one over.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BTW, Ric, I talked the Penzey's folks into giving me a mug for you. I'm just THAT good. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

just to make it official, I'm posting this at the tops of our seed swap threads:

Swap CANCELLED due to stupid groundhog and his stupid shadow
We will reschedule, probably for Saturday March 1. Details will follow on a new thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.