AF&G January 2014

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pix! I hope you guys don't get too much from this next wave!

Here are three plants I picked up this weekend. Upper left: Harmony's Blue Frills. Upper right: Buckeye Galactic Shower. Bottom: Wrangler's Winter Hawk

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I did pot up some strep babies over the weekend, too!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Karen,
You have me drooling on the keyboard again LOL.They are all beauties,but Bora and DS- Horus are drawing my eye this time.

Looks like you have been busy too Nichole!

Sorry to hear about all this weather stuff.I'm in Nebraska and I think we have had a better winter than some of the places south of us! and the northeast coast.

Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Nice plants Nichole ,Did you get them at Bluebirds?

HollyAnnS - 4 days is a long time without elecric.Hoping it doesn't happen again.

Well,it seems you guys are stuck with me for another year,I had a visit from the garden fairy.Thank you!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Jan - I actually found them at a local Nature Emporium . . . I was surprised to find named violets, but I guess the Harmony greenhouses put the names on the tags . . . I may go back after payday to pick up a few more. Maybe. Don't want to get too many standards . . .

Not going anywhere for the next few days, at least . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Lou - I found a bloom on the Looking Glass episcia you sent me a few months ago!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Morning!

Look at that snow.Love it! It's been a record breaking cold winter in my part of Al this year,and it showing on the heating bill.Wow,

Nice having a place selling named violets so close! Hoping you find a violet group too.Pretty espicia!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Ok, so a few weeks ago, I joined the Gesneriad Society via their website.

Today I got the welcome packet (to be fair, it could have gotten here any time this week, but I was out of town).

DH wanted to go to Cici's Pizza for dinner, so I took the How to Know and Grow Gesneriads booklet with me to read.

After looking thru the descriptions of so many plants, I'm going to add a few things to my Want list here in a bit: There is a pic of a Chirita (Primulina) species that looks like a palm tree (of course it doesn't say which one it is!), Codonanthe (had it before, but would like to have again), Gesneria cuneifolia, Nautilocalyx, Smithiantha cinnabarina . . .

LOL.....and don't forget all the intergenerics,and the Achimenes and the new mini Gloxinnias and the,and the,and the.................

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I picked up 2 new AV's at a local flower show. Really 2 for $5 flower show special couldn't hardly pass them up. They have no name tags, I guess cheap AV's mean no ID tags.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

They don't have to have names to be pretty! . . . they look like Optimara's, though.

Very pretty.They look like Optimaras.
Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My shelves are looking a little bit better plant wise . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much you are right they are Optimara AV's the sticker on the pot doesn't give a variety but they are marked Optimara, which I hadn't even noticed. There are a couple very similar to what I picked up. The darker one looks very much like Rita, part of the Rhapsodie series. The more pinkish one I think might be Degas of the Artist Palette series. The description of Degas states red & white as the color but the pic looks pinkish and like my lighter colored one to me. Both state med green leaves and I would say that these both have med green leaves. Any more help or opinions would be very welcome.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Nichole... You need some more streps on those shelves!

Holly... Are you on Facebook? Optimara has their own profile, and you can "friend" them there. If you send them a photo, they can usually ID your violets for you...
https://www.facebook.com/optimara.violets

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I do have a Facebook page but I really never use it. I might check that out.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Here are my blooms for today . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani

OOOOh,pretty.

Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi folks

Pretty violets HollyAnn.

Nichole love your new shelves! Pretty plants too.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Jan!

I was worried about them this morning. We lost power Friday morning, and only got it back 52 minutes ago. I know this because the stove is blinking 12:52 at me. They've had water, but I was worried about the lack of light.

Not been a lot of action here lately...

Here are some of my streps blooming now...

(Bet ya didn't know I liked fantasy!)

Spin Art
Neil's Twilight
Fancy Pants
DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Some new ones from Dimetris...

DS-781
DS-In The Wind
DS-Kata Tjuta
DS-Tenderness
DS-Yarilo - this one has the largest blooms I have ever had on a strep!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Karen, Your plants are so beautiful! I'm a fantasy kind of gal too.lol Little Furry Arctic Fox gets me everytime.love,love love,I was thinking about you yesterday! I have little baby streps feathered silk that I'm trying to grow in Leca balls.Time will tell how they do.I am determined to grow these plants and think growing from seed might be the best way.

Little Furry Artic Fox makes me tingle Karen,but those new DS are pretty striking too.

I only have a day or 2 left here and I'm not sure I'm going to renew.Anyone feel free to email me.

Lynn

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Hello all,

We moved from the Tampa area of FL to Lowell, IN in Sept of '12. I had been in FL for 30 yrs and became heavily involved with Bromileads, then adding Orchids as time marched on. These I grew outside under oak trees, bringing them in only when we were to have frost or, for the orchids, tropical storms as they hung in the trees outside our bedroom windows.

I kept a dozen or so orchids to bring with me and had to give over 60 away. But now, I have started to explore AV and am starting to research Gesnariads (especially mini sinningias) as I had been growing these, especially Gesnariads, all during my High School and undergraduate years..... before the internet, Ebay, etc.

So, I will be scanning your threads frequently for information and finding 'what's out there' in this family. Currently, I have 6 standard AV and two mini AV that have gone through the gangly blooming phase from the stores/nurseries and are currently nice and tight with their first post-store phase of blooming since getting home. I am fortunate that this house has a large bank of southwest facing windows and three skylights where my plants are located, so there is no need for artificial light. I also just acquired one of those metal greenhouse-looking terrarium things on a stand at a consignment shop that I'm thinking about using for mini sinningias and some of the small orchids to allow decent humidity benefit. I used to use 'leaker' tanks at times in the past.

Has anyone bought through Ebay? These eastern european AV varieties are new to me.

STU

Welcome Stu ^_^.

Many of us have bought from EBay vendors and there may be members here who sell there.Many here also grow Orchids as well as lots of other plants.I am green with envy of all that natural light!

Your mini Sinns. probably don't need that humidity,except for micros,but it will no doubt make them even prettier.I use to use one for Rex Begonias.

There is also a thread at the top of this forum with what member are looking for or have to offer.

Happy Growing,
Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Karen - I'm jealous!

Stu - I order from a few vendors on ebay . . . none of them international, though . . . let me know if you want my vendor list . . .

Lynn was right . . . there is a sticky for people to have their haves/wants . . . hopefully with the onset of spring, people will get their list updated . . .

Here's a few more pix of the same plants from before . . . sorry for the bad lighting.

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Very pretty. Can anyone with a bloom start a new thread?

Welcome STU.

Jan

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

New thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1356343/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.