AF&G January 2014

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I know most of us are frozen over, but that is no reason not to post pix!

I stuck these leaves, at the end of November. I figured starting leaves would not only give me something to do during winter, but a way to restart my collection after the move.

While there are a few other cups showing displaced soil on top, this is the first AV cup to have something visible break the soil.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Here is this, so you'll know where to look!

It's hard to tell, I guess, since the leaves are variegated?

Thumbnail by Syrumani
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can see the little leaves popping out. Congratulation.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a few pics of what is blooming now. I gave a small talk on AV's and propagation at my Hobby GH Assoc meeting on Saturday. I have been having great success propagating them since last fall.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

You take some great pix, HollyAnnS! So lucky to have some blooms!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We got a new camera for Christmas and are very pleased with it. Not sure which pics were mine or Ric's but they all looked pretty good. Thanks.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your blooms are beautiful Hollyann.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

I see those little ears starting to pop up,cute! How are you likiñg are cold?

HollyAnn,your plants are beautiful,just what i needed for a winter pick me up.

Jan

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Cold is ok. Really. I just need an electric blanket. Martin laughs at me, but my father - who lives a stone throw away from Lake Superior in WI said today that he will send me some heated socks. I figure a hunter type would know where to find some of those.

I've got more babies popping up! I'll take an updated picture tomorrow.

I ordered a particular size shelf unit from walmart.com. Only bad thing, it won't get to store until 1/30. But, it's a deeper shelf unit than I had last time - that one was 72x18x48. This one is 72x24x48. I like that the green trays won't stick out and get bumped into.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

That's a great size Nichole.The deep ones are hard to find in 48 inch.

Great pictures everyone!

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Got a text yesterday from Walmart saying the shelves were here and ready to pick up! Yay! Will go some time this afternoon!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I haven't been here much. Been busy with life. It does slow one down every once in a while. We now have three great-grandchildren, and two of them are up North. Our little Ava keeps us young in heart. She is the only one close by. We get to see and spend a lot of time with her. She will be two yrs old next month, and is so smart. My children were never that smart.
I've had problems with my violets this past year, and have had to re-start about twenty of them. They had very tight centers. Not sure if it is a fertilizer problem or water problem.
Here is what I have blooming now. They are all first time bloomers.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

So pretty! I don't know what you mean about great grandchildren yet, but I think my kids are smarter than I was at that age. Does that count?

Could the tight centers have something to do with too much light?

Nice pictures Eileen.I had that same problem with my violets.I thought it was a PH problem.

Congrats on great grandchildren.It doesn't look like I'm ever going to be a grandma.

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Got my new shelves set up day before yesterday, and got the lights set up on 2 shelves. As my collection grows, a light will also go on the bottom shelf. Sorry the light is not the best!

I'll re-take the pic later when the lights come on, to get a better pic.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2014 7:42 AM

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

imadigger, They sure are pretty especially love the 4th pic.
Syrumani, Nice shelves won't take long to fill them up.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm glad to have found your post, I'm new to av's I got my first baby late Dec. from a friend and I'm amazed how much it has grown already. Nice set up for all yours. So here's mine, I just took the 2nd pic this am.
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Couple of pics of a few new bloomers just love the ruffled edges on the Deadly Sting both on the leaves and on the blooms as they open, second picture

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It's exciting, isn't it Christine? This is the right place, too, to learn a lot and support your new habit!

HollyAnnS - nice pix! I'm jealous!

Now that I have real shelves and decent lights again, look what I can see! The only question is going to be, do I let her bloom, or disbud . . . I will give myself a week, then decide.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6a)

Oh...let her bloom. Then you can see if the blooms are true to variety. Nice plant in the pic. How old is it? I had to take the top off of a little 'greenhouse' I made out of a bakery container. The leaves are crowding the top. Looks like I am going to have a bunch of Kentucky Rambler to pot up and soon!

Love my AVs and I have a strep and two Petrocarpus... Love the hobby!
Judy

Thumbnail by ladyj512
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I got a new camera for Christmas and have been practicing with it. I do a a slight tremor so I will only get so good unless I use a tripod.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Judy just love your Avatar pic.

Thanks. that's one of the Petros...have lots of babies to pot up from her too...never ending, is it? lol
Judy

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It was in full bloom when I received it. So, I know it's real Irish Flirt. My concern at this point is deciding if I will go to the national AVSA convention in Nashville this year. If yes, then will disbud for a few more weeks. If no, will let bloom, 'cause I miss blooms!

Petrocarpus, huh? Been gene splicing? lol! ^_^

Which strep do you have? I've got some babies coming up too, so we'll definity have something to our trade in a few months!

HollyAnnS - I'm jealous of you having a new camera! Mine is about 5 years old now, and it's starting to make a fuss here and there. I could use a new one . . . but only if I start working soon.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My parents gave Ric and I a nice Christmas check. It didn't pay for the whole camera but brought the out of pocket amount down to what we were willing to spend. I have been wanting a new one for quite a long time now.
I have been thinking of entering a few of my AV's in a local flower show. Not too sure what might be blooming nicely at that time. So we will have to wait and see. Does anyone enter plants or flowers in shows?

Just popping in to say hi to all the newcomers ^_^. I am loving the pictures.

Lynn

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's two more blooming for me now. I usually take pictures as soon as I have one flower, but My Fair Lady continues to bloom, and Vampire Kiss is just such a pretty flower. I was ambitious and decided to add their name to the picture. I usually forget which is which.
I'm glad this forum is starting to take off. I just renewed my membership, and at first I was sorry. Not too many people post any more. I see alot have gone to Facebook, but it's easier to ask questions here, and not have to go thru tons of posts.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I entered shows when I was in San Antonio. There is a club here in Greensboro, but there are only 3 members, so no shows. For that, I will need to go for the regionals: national convention, DAVS or MAAVS. And only those if they are within reasonable driving distance.

Hi, Lynn!

I know, Eileen . . . it was a chance I took when I renewed my DG too. But, this is where I started, so I hate to think of not having it! It would be different if this was a "free" forum, like the sewing. Then it would be a non-issue! Pretty pix!

Here are my leaf trays . . . just separated the strep leaves into a different tray, to give the AV leaves room to spread without covering anything . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I've tried to grow streps, but don't have any luck with them. I've received leaves in round robins, they produce babies and when the babies get so big, they just die. I tried other gessies, but not happy growing them. I stick to violets. They grow better for me. I still have problems, but when they start to go downhill, I take leaves from them and start over. I wish there were some clubs around here, but the only one is in Orlando. That is an hour and half drive from me. And I don't drive on the highways.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

You all have such beautiful av's I cant wait for mine to grow up and flower. How long does it take for them to flower? I never expected them to grow so fast in winter

Holly I really like yours with the white edges on the leaves..

Imadigger, your Vampire Kiss is so very pretty.
Christine

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Great picture ladies (gents? Earl,are you still with us?)

Nice plant stand Nichole.Still liking the weather?Over here in southern Alabama,we are in a pretty bad ice storm.Everything ks shut down except emergany people.

Welcome to newcomer,we love seeing pictures!

Hi Eileen,you have some pretty violets growing.My membership is up soon too añd I'm undecided about renewing..congrats on the grandbabies.

Please exscuse any typo's,writing from my little tablet is hard.lol

Have a great day everyoñe! Jan

Am I bad...Petrocosmea...Short'n Bread

Interesting plant and would love some more..any traders? Or Streps?
Judy

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Jan . . . I like the idea of moving here. I don't really like the cold. I am having trouble getting acclimated. I'll get there, though. There was no school today, and I already got the call that there is no school tomorrow.

Judy - there is a "sticky" thread in this forum where you can post your Have's and Want's, too. I am so looking forward to our trade once the country thaws out a bit!

This pic was this morning view from our 2nd floor window. The other two . . . well, you know kids!

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

I like the cold too,winter is my favorite tiime of year.The kids look like they had a great time! It does take time to get used to living in a new town ,I'm10 years in t'his area and still theres roads I 've never been on,and I'm small town USA.The ice storm is over,the town and county roads schools,were shut down for 2 days.Today its going to be 65.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Everyone's plants are beautiful!
Thanks for starting a new thread Nichole... it was long overdue!
I will try to add some pics when I am home.

I for one am tired of the cold weather, and long for Spring!

Karen

Some of my streps blooming...

DS-Beloved
Midnight Thunder
Liberty Belle
DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox
Bora

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

DS-Horus
DS-Valkyrie
TsF-Sochi-Chernye Nochi
Cicero
Watermelon Wine

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Nightwing
Zlata
Jules
Red Dawn
Spiritual Corridor

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh Karen,You got hammered this year II'm hoping spring comes soon for you.

AWESOME strep show,I love the fantasy.flowers but all are beautiful!!!!

Jan

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We lost power for 4 days with this last storm. Karen those are just beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.