CLOSED: January 2014 Birthday Thread

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy Birthday!!!

The DG birthday card club is a way to ensure a special day.

We welcome new members to the birthday thread. Our delightful obligation is to send a card to each birthday club member when his/her birthday occurs.

It's best to receive a pile of cards on or before your birthday so we do our best to send each card in a timely manner. This makes the card more meaningful to the recipient and to the sender. We don't have to send expensive or elaborate cards. We can make one or pick up one at nearly any store these days, or buy a whole box of cards at once and be prepared for the whole year!

It's a wonderful experience to receive cards in the mail.

Current Birthday Club Members:

rose318 / Patti -- March 18
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
gardenlady123/Ronna -- November 22

2014 Birthday Club Hosts
January - GardenQuail
February - rose318
March - taters55
April - rose318
May - taters55
June -
July - gardenlady123
August -
September -
October -
November -
December -

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343080/

This message was edited Jan 26, 2014 10:22 PM

Thumbnail by GardenQuail
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I am withdrawing from this BD card swap. For the past 2 years I have gotten about 4 cards while I have sent one to every person on the list at their birthday. Once I received a card months after my birthday. My thought is if a person does not plan to send cards in a timely manner, they should not be part of this swap. How hard is it to buy a box of birthday cards, or even note cards and scratch a Happy Birthday note on it? Or even more special, make a card?
I am not saying this out of bitterness, but because I think the only way improvement can be made, whether it is family,personal ,or a business, is to know what the problems are and correct them. If no one says what the problem is, it will probably continue in a downward trajectory.
To the people who have worked to keep this swap going, posted faithfully, send cards, and maintained a positive attitude, I salute you and thank you for your effort. And to the four who sent me cards, thank you for your efforts.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Sorry to see you go Crystal.

I agree, if you sign up for this swap, you need to send cards in a timely matter. If your sick or your computer goes down, please call me, and I will let others know.

830-734-7801

So I am taking a roll call. If your name is on the list, please post and let us know if you want to stay on the list or need to drop out!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I am in. I agree with Crystal totally.

Hi, all.
While it is true that we have had problems not always getting cards to each other in the timeliest manner, take heart! This is a brand new year! We all get a fresh start! Let's make this year our best!
In keeping with this, let's begin by updating our Current Members list. If you would like to join, or if you decide you are unable to continue, please let us know so we can update our list at the top.
We'd also like to continue taking turns hosting, so if you would like to volunteer to host for a month, please let me know so I can update this list, too. We need hosts for February through December.
Crystal, we're sorry to see you go, but we understand your frustration. If you decide you'd like to rejoin, just let us know!
Michelle

Copy of message I just to all on the list...
I am not trying to be mean, but I need to hear from all on the list, we need to keep this group active to be fair to all!

Just need to know if your staying in the Birthday club. This is being sent to all on the list.
Please send me a reply or post on the thread. If I don't hear from you by the end of the week, I will assume you do not want to be in the swap and your name will be deleted.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1346549/

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I will host the months of Feb and April.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2014 6:37 PM

Thanks Patti.

Add me for March and May please

Hi, all.
Patti and LK, thanks for volunteering to host. I've updated our host list.
And, Linda, thanks for sending out the dmails so we can update our list of current members.
Hope everyone is having a great week. I admit, it's hard to get back into my regular routine after all of the holidays. But, I'm working on it :)
You know the Easter swap we had this past year? I crocheted my first basket as part of my buddy's surprise. Since then, I've created three other sizes. Been having lots of fun making them. I've given several as gifts and sold a few, and I'm considering selling some in a local store that sells hand-made crafts. What a wonderful and exciting adventure this has turned out to be! And, to think, it all started with an Easter swap here on DG :)
Well, better go for now... I'm almost finished with another basket and have a few mor things to finish before getting some sleep.
Have a great Wednesday!
Michelle

I love the baskets you made. They are awesome. Good luck selling them.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I am still in. Really enjoy the chats with all. What do we do as the host. I am not that good with the whole link thing, but i could try i guess.Everyone was saying the person whose bday is in January is no longer active here?

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You know Michele I was thinking what about a Easter swap. Is it too close with the others? I would l love see your basket Michele. Can you post a picture?
Patti

Lanakila sent me an email and said she is dropping out, too many life things to take care of.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2014 6:00 PM

Hi, all.
Ronna, glad to hear you're staying in the Birthday Club :)
As far as what to do as host, you start the new thread for the month you sign up for and post a link to the new thread so we know where to go. You can copy a lot of the first post of the previous thread and update it as appropriate for your month if you wish.
Then, you stop by the birthday club regularly throughout the month to chat and add new members or remove names of those who can no longer participate. As far as what to chat about, we're pretty flexible. You can do something more elaborate, like what Amanda and Linda did for November (all the cupcakes from Amanda) and December (sharing about how various people celebrate Christmas around the world from Linda), or you can just chat about whatever as in my thread. We've even been known to share about our gardens! :)
I can't help with the specifics about how to make the links and such, but if you'd like to host, I'm sure one of the others can give you tips on how to do it.
I also heard back from Lanakila. I let her know we'll miss her and sent my best wishes. And, I've updated our list at the top accordingly.
Looks like we need some folks with January and February birthdays to join us. So, if you know of anyone who would like to join, encourage them to join us :) And, if you're quietly following along and think this would be fun, here's your opportunity!
As for an Easter swap, that would be a lot of fun! Unfortunately, I can't commit to doing any swaps at this time (other than our birthday club) as my husband is between jobs. But if you are interested in hosting a swap, look for the "2014 list of upcoming swaps" in the "group trades, swaps, and giveaways" forum to see who is doing what. You could check to see if someone else is planning to do an Easter swap or if you should host it, or if you and someone want to cohost. The Easter swap has been one of my favorites :)
At some point this month, I'll see if my husband can help me post some pictures of some of my baskets that I've made. I've been working on some Valentine's baskets lately. Lots of reds, pinks, and purples :)
Well, better go for now. Have a great Thursday, everyone!
Michelle

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Okay thanks Michelle I will do a month when my garden is awake. Otherwise I have a pretty boring life. I am putting together a fairy garden so I.t will give me something to talk about and take pictures of. Maybe july. I do not know how to post a link. Amanda kinda told me once but i still do not know. Thanks... Ronna

Go to the top of this thread and click on where it says group trades, swaps and round robins.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/

Then scroll all the way to the bottom and where it says start a new topic, just type in the title, like July birthday thread, then type in we have a new thread. copy and paste all the info at the top of the current thread and your all done.

Really easy to do.

Hi, all.
Ronna, that would be great... when you decide which month you want to host, let us know. And we'll update the host list :)
I've never had a fairy garden, but that sounds neat. I'm looking forward to hearing about yours. What other types of things do you like to grow?
LK, thanks for the tips on how to post a new thread.
Oh, Ronna, one thing we discovered when my husband was helping me to start new threads: If you want to include a picture with the first message in the thread, you want to include it when you first create your message. If you then preview your message or send it, planning to add the picture later, it won't let you. Hope that makes sense and helps you avoid the mistake we made. :) The thumbnail picture associated with a thread is whatever picture that is included with the first message of the thread, so this is good to know about if you want to include a picture.
Well, have a great day, everyone!
Michelle

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I will do July. Then my everything will be in bloom. Can not wait every year I think is there really a garden out there. It is under so much snow and ice. But then every year it comes back so beautiful and bigger. Have a great day all.

Hi, all.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by earlier this weekend... Was too tired Friday night and didn't get a chance to stop by yesterday.

Ronna, thanks for volunteering to host for July. I've updated our host list. It will be exciting to hear about your garden :)

I, too, always find it fascinating to see my garden return each year. Mine doesn't get covered with snow like yours, but it still amazes me that my bulbs come back year after year, even when I don't always get them watered while they're growing like I should. And it's fun to discover that the seeds one planted really do grow. Yes, I know they are supposed to, but even so, it's still fascinating to find them really growing just like they should :)

Linda heard back from GAgirl1066 / Paula. She will also not be joining us for club this year. So, I've updated our current member list.

Paula, if you see this, we do hope you can stop by now and then to say hi. And we wish you the best!

Well, I'm off to finishing a few chores so I can do more crocheting. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Michelle

Julie has the bird feeder swap open, come and check it out!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347314/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

hi Kids!

I know when anyone says that they're dropping out because someone didn't send a card that sometimes it was me. Although last fall I went and sent all my overdue cards to folks I'd missed (maybe that was Crystal talking to ME up there), but frankly it's been skinny with the funds and also a little down in the dumps, and certainly never a moment's peace.

But if you will have me I will stick with the birthday club. I have enjoyed learning about this day in history, and the Christmas posts were fantabulous, LK.

I really did enjoy doing Cupcakes every day in November and worked very hard to honor that responsibility.

You may have noticed that I host several other trades and swaps that I run quite responsibly in other parts of the DG world, so having you all to help reform me sending birthday cards would be doing me a favor. After all - I told you my mother was ungrateful and made sure to say if it didn't come on time not to bother at all. I'm afraid this may have extended its way into every avenue of of snail mail celebrations.

Them's my thoughts on that.

Tell me when's the next birthday!!!

AND when it's my turn to host. :D

Unless of course . . . . you think I'm a party pooper in which case I would tend to agree.

xox
A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

Hi, all.

Amanda, we'd love to have you in the birthday club again :) While we encourage each other to send out our cards in a timely manner, the truth is that sometimes stuff happens and, despite our best intentions, we don't get them out as quickly as we should. And, since this is a brand new year, we all have another opportunity to do even better than we did last year :) So, I'm glad you still plan to be with us :)

At this point, it looks like rose318 / Patti has our next birthday. Patti's birthday is in March. So, if you know of anyone with birthdays in January or February, send them our way :)

As for when you should host, at this point, we have June and August through December still open. So, think about your expected schedule, and let us know which month you think would work best for you. And, if you want to wait until closer to then to decide, that should be okay, too.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone!
Michelle

Of coarse your welcome here Amanda!

Kathy has the Valentine swap open.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347514/

Hi, all.

We have had some absolutely beautiful weather this week! Of course, we could really use some rain, but the sunshine felt sooo good :) (I hate being cold.) Definitely very thankful for a little taste of spring in the midst of winter.

Have a great Thursday, everyone.

Michelle

Morning! It has been warm here. It starts with 32 in the mornings, but quickly warms up to 70 in the afternoons!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad to see you join us Amanda.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello - cold here again - but sunny. Like that. :D

It's the time of year when I start losing plants inside because of too much or not enough water or some thing or other. Frustrating. Not sure i have the time or patience for much right now with school, but will do my darndest.

Have a great day!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Amanda seems like you head is spinning sounds like my daughter Amanda when she was going to classes planning a wedding and working full time. Bless you it will all be worth it. ♥♥♥♥♥

Hi, all.

Amanda, hang in there with school... It's definitely a lot of work! And I understand how it goes with plants not getting enough water. I'm afraid my plants are all rather unhappy with me about that. But I'm still trying to get rid of the plantar wart on my foot, so it will be a bit longer for them.

Been a few difficult days... Talked with the local store about selling my baskets. They said they are nice, but they don't think that the space I was hoping to rent will work for them. And I would need other items to sell with them to make the next size space work. So, now I'm trying to decide what I want to do. Even if I had other things ready to sell with the baskets now, they don't have any of the next size space available at this time. And I spent a lot of time getting things ready in hopes of being able to sell them there. And since I don't know when a space will become available, I'm not sure how much work I should put into this now.

Hope you all are having a better weekend!

Michelle

That is a lot of work making those baskets, I sure hope you can figure out something to do!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Michelle, how about a different store?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeah good idea Crystal. There has to some more artsy stores. That about all our downtown is here. Well have a good evening all.

Hi, all.

I like the idea, too, except I don't know of others at this time. Perhaps I'll hear of others. In the meantime, I'm doing some experimenting. I designed and crocheted a coaster shaped like a five-petaled flower. Was originally aiming to make a star, but it's definitely flower shaped. I like it. Changed my pattern name :) Figured I'd experiment to see what I might come up with.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

Michelle

Would love to see some pictures of your items?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Have you thought of Etsy?
Also in my area there are facebook pages devoted to selling yard sale items. Maybe there are like things for crafts. There is always Craig's List.
Just throwing out a few ideas. I have a hard time selling too, and find myself drawing away from things that might produce good results because I feel so shy about it.
I would love to know you succeeded.

You can sell on Facebook also!

Hi, all.

I'll try to have my husband take some pictures soon and help me post them.

And, thanks for all of your encouragement and suggestions. At this point, I don't see myself using Etsy (not very accessible for me) and I don't currently use Facebook. But I'll certainly keep these ideas in mind. You just never know... I never expected to try selling something at a store, either :)

If any of you are where all the really cold temperatures are from the latest snowstorm, I do hope you all are staying warm and safe.

Have a great Thursday!

Michelle

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Michelle. I will try yes its cold here. Can not stop shivering. Even in the house it is cold tonight. Turned the heat up a degree.

Hi, all.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :) Our weekend has been good so far. We attended a local community theatre's production of the play 1776. Hadn't seen it before. We really enjoyed the play. Makes one think of what was involved in our nation gaining its independence. In case you haven't seen the play, it tells the story of the writing and signing of the Declaration of Independence. I understand there's also a movie, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say how it compares to the play.

Has anyone heard from Alecia or Melissa? Wanted to check before editing our Current Member list.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.