Passive Solar Greenhouse

MacCleary, WA

Hi everyone,
I just joined your forum and live in the PNW. I have a new 10x20 passive solar greenhouse my son built me. I am ready to put in beds and thermal storage. Does anyone have a passive solar greenhouse? I need help with what thermal storage you have used and how your greenhouse has worked for you.
Thank you

Fort Worth, TX

Black stock tank with water, but I am in Texas, so if I get sun it gets warm

MacCleary, WA

Thanks Gypsi, I'll look into the stock tank. When the sun is out the greenhouse temp is over 100 deg.

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Water storage will help moderate your GH temps. Some of the heat will be absorbed when the sun is shining and then slowly released on cloudy days or after the sun goes down. Some people also use 55 gal barrels painted black if you have the room. I have a very small GH, so I use a 32 gal trash can and several one gallon milk jugs as a temperature moderator.

MacCleary, WA

thanks bezziec, I have currently a garbage can and a lot of juice bottles which seem to help. I have a few potted cukes and tomatoes. Most of the cukes died, the tomatoes are blooming, not dead yet. I've been covering them up at night with a row cover. I plan to put in raised beds and more or better thermal storage ASAP.
I considered the 55 gal barrels, but they take up a lot of room. How do you stack the milk jugs?

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't stack them. I just set one in each recess where the round pots come together. Wish I could draw you a picture. Imagine 2 circles. One side at the top is touching the other pot. Since most of the pots are slightly tapered, there is a space at the front where some or all of a jug can sit.

MacCleary, WA

That is what I am doing with the juice bottles right now. I put them around the outside of the pots. In the summer I put bottles next to my tomatoes and peppers I have in pots outside. I tried a water wall once and didn't like it, too clumsy and difficult for me to use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.