Tomorrow (Dec 21) is the Winter Solstice

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Over time, I have come to appreciate the winter solstice. It reminds me that spring is born in the heart of winter, as days begin to lengthen again. It marks the day when the earth will once again begin to rise from the dead and undertake its long journey to the rebirth of spring. I can already see the crocuses, followed by the profusion of blossoms and budding green, and the happy buzzing and fluttering as the pollinators once again fill my garden...

Happy Winter Solstice everyone--and Happy Holidays as well! Hope everyone enjoys some time off from work to spend with family, rejuvenating the spirit, and remembering what this holiday is all about.

Catmint, who still hasn't gotten a tree up or cards sent, but who is nonetheless planning a nice quiet Christmas day with my daughter

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Good morning! Thanks for the reminder and nice message.
Hope all enjoy this respite from the cold, even with winter officially yet to begin, but really for the Mid Atlantic, two months from now winter is on its way out.
I like being able to say in January "the days are getting longer!"

Sally, I lived in Connecticut for years before moving here, and I have to say I've been appreciating our shorter winters! :-) Just a couple months and it will be time to start looking for those first blooms. Guess I'd better get started on my winter scrapbooking plans quick before the season passes by!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Even though Northern Virginia is largely mid-Atlantic, my SW mountain area is not. However, I always look forward to the days getting longer. Seems like last year the long days just flew by.

I'd love to experience the winter solstice somewhere like Stonehenge or one of the many other sites around the world where the sun shines through a narrow passageway on that day. The celebrations must have been awesome, and I van imagine being a Pagan.

Stonehenge on a solstice sounds magnificent! Winter is probably less crowded than summer, I imagine... Of course, I don't think we're traveling anywhere again for quite some time--that darned money thing... :-(

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I love the solstice! I love that the days will start to get longer!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, There will be a Druid's Dance and Pagan Party held on January 7th, at moon rise, in the shadow of the standing stones. Bring your own mistletoe.

For all the SAD people out there, things should be brighter soon.

Hooray for longer days!

Quote from Ric_of_MAF :
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, There will be a Druid's Dance and Pagan Party held on January 7th, at moon rise, in the shadow of the standing stones. Bring your own mistletoe.

LOL--sounds like fun!! Will this be at your place, Ric? ;-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, I really have trouble with the shorter days. It doesn't effect me like SAD but I swear come 7:00 I am ready for bed.

LOL, Holly--just so you know, I would have responded to your post last night but I had already fallen asleep! ;-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I see… Holly falls asleep, then the Pagans commence at moonrise….HMMM…….ROFL

I've always wondered what a Druid actually looks like! Are we about to find out?? :-D

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Something like this--but these are the "neo-Druids"...
They all wear white robes....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Druids_celebrating_at_Stonehenge_%281%29.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Druids_celebrating_at_Stonehenge_%281%29.png

thanks, Gita. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Heading to NJ tomorrow and i won't be back until Thursday evening.
SO! I won't be posting for 4 days........:o(

Wish me NO insane traffic jams on the Turnpike and on I-95....

Happy Holidays to you all! Gita

Good luck Gita! Wishing you smooth sailing...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Have fun Gita, enjoy your visit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.