Looking For Conifer and Deciduous Seeds

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Mipii, have you asked schools about using some of their land for a native plant garden, or letting you plant trees and shrubs around the perimeter? If the schools don't want their students to help plant them for some inexplicable reason, perhaps they'd let scouts do it; scouts need to do such things for some badges. Just think, you could turn some kids into future gardening fanatics!

This message was edited Dec 22, 2013 10:55 AM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

and get free labor,,,LOL no seriously Muddy1 that is an excellent idea. When I was the President of our garden club up north we called on the boy scouts to help with our plant sale every year, they would load plants into their little red wagons and pull them to the customers car and help load them into their cars. Worked out wonderful for some of the seniors that came and the younger folks loved the extra attention.

Robin you need to make friends with the local scout master, maybe give him on cool shrub to help him make up his mind....LOL

Jan

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes Muddy, those were excellent suggestions. We have three schools nearby but the middle school has a B.E.L.L. Academy complete with greenhouses and garden surrounding. They call the curriculum offered to students 'Life Sciences'. I have already thought of and pursued Government property planting...they make it impossible to deal with them.

I couldn't even give them trees I've grown for the park. I offered to organize a community entrance to the park landscape project based on a professional landscape design. They preferred the 'pay all professionals route'. I was going to go door to door and request perennials from gardening divisions and trade with local gardeners to get enough of a supply to fulfill a pleasing plan. Communities need community building events like this...get a bunch of people together and work towards a mutually rewarding goal.

They'd have none of it.

Jan, the Boy Scouts are an awesome group, they're up for helping with almost anything.

I'm thinking about it Jan, Is the 5 acres for rent, sale or just the use of in lieu of a 2000 sq ft all brick house?

This message was edited Dec 22, 2013 3:34 PM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry, but it is for sale so we can purchase down here.

For sale is good!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

you silly girl... I was trying to find some pictures to entice yall more...LOL

Jan

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's some, Jan.

Why would anyone live anywhere else?

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

NICE VV...I can't answer that question tho. Look at all that tree and shrub room.

Jan, please entice more...and dmail me with particulars, you know the drill (I'm sure you've dealt with silly girls before, lol).

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

VV, yes I miss that so much, just wish KY had year round weather like my FL. DH got me to leave FL to come marry him and live in that wonderful Commonwealth. When I use to work at UK, (for those not from KY UK stands for University of Kentucky) I drove up 27 everyday past a ton of horse farms, watching the colts grow up, then go to the Derby and watch them run for the roses.... Are those your horses VV? and how much Commonwealth do ya own?

Jan

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Those thoroughbreds are my "borrowed scenery". You and I both know the way to make a small fortune...

When you worked for The Big Blue, did you ever have reason to go to Adena Park? UK's property out on Mt. Horeb Pike (where departments often had their picnics or other gatherings) is right next to where these pictures are taken, and to where I live.

I have about 10 acres of central KY Bluegrass - not quite as stellar as where these hoofed browsers hang, which is why we could afford it back in 1989 - and I get to drive through this prime farmland going to/from work every day.

Here's some winter shots...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful photos - looks like a pretty relaxing commute!

OMG those are beautiful!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Not enough shade for me...

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

VV Yes I know exactly where you are... OMGoodness such a small world. I love the pics, the horses are feeling their oats with the cooler temps...LOL

We haven't lived in Big Blue country for 10+ years now. I miss it our property is in Mercer county, I sure don't miss the cold, or the heat. At least here being so close to the gulf there is always a breeze so the heat (at least to me) is bearable, way better than KY. The only time we got a breeze was when a storm was moving through..

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.