Any idea what's eating my chard?

Oakland Park, FL(Zone 10b)

My chard has multiple holes in the leaves but I'm not seeing any bugs or other oddities on my plants. Any guesses and what to do about it?

Oops pics didn't cross over!

Thumbnail by AliciaF Thumbnail by AliciaF
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Could be pill bugs. They come out after dark.

Sluggo PLUS (not the regular Sluggo -- get the PLUS), sprinkled around the soil. A little goes a long way, and will kill any pill bugs and slugs that cross the pellets.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. The plants are to pretty to let some bugs eat them up! 😛

Waddy, KY

Flea beatles. You have to look fast cause these little buggers bounce off plants just like fleas, hence the name.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I think Kydaylilylady has nailed it. I didn't zoom in to see those perfect little pellet holes, a tell-tale flea beetle sign!

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Yes that was the first thought that came to mind when I saw the holes, flea beetles, they love to eat my peppers and eggplant. I very seldom can find them, but I know they are there.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

How is your chard coming along now? I too think they are most likely damage from flea beetles. Diamond back moth larva can also cause similar damage as well but you would likely find small 1/3 of an inch long worm somewhere...though they also can be quite elusive. In some cases diseases like cercospora can cause shot hole formations as well but I dont see any other signs of that disease.

You could apply Neem oil making sure to get both sides of the leaves and hopefully do the trick.

Chard continues to grow nicely with the occasional bite taken out of it but damage is not bad enough to worry about or not eat. I did do a neem oil spray and that helped. Thanks for asking and all the advice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.